• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 stratos175

stratos175
  • Casita Club Member
  • 212 posts
  • Local time: 10:51 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit
  • Interests:hiking, kayaking, disc golf and spending time in in our Casita.
  • Trailer Name:Matilda

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:33 AM

Hello Casita World,

I had started a topic called Extra 4' and really appreciated all the responses I received, the last one was, well what did you do?

Happy and a little sad to say yesterday I bought a a perfect 10 in condition 2014 21' Escape. 

Why Happy?

I have one of those personalities where if I decide I want something I research it to death and also make sure I get a good deal. Good thing I don't want too many things. LOL I know for an Escape I got a really great deal on this and pretty sure I'm the only person in GA that owns one. I say that because when I called the factory about referral closest person to me was in Chattanooga,  I like things unique like a Casita the Escape is just a little more unique.

It has pretty much every option we wanted on it except the wrap around dinette, that is something we intend to add.

Why Sad?

We love our Matilda and as mentioned in several other post I've made this site and the people that are part of this community are 50% of the reason we bought a Casita to start with. To think I will no longer be a part of the Casita Club is just sad, no I don;t think I will be kicked out and I know we would be welcomed with open arms to any rally we wanted to attend. We have really enjoyed owning her and have many fun memories.

Why Happy?

OK will admit we bought our Casita site unseen not just the one I bought but one at all, yes I had seen the outside of one but never the inside. I bought it on Ebay 10 minutes after it was listed, I gave them there asking price and ended the auction. Another reason I'm happy is pretty sure a friend of mine is going to buy are Casita so i know she will have a good home. If he buys it the price we agreed to means we had 4 years of fun in her for about $400.00 and that's only because of the few upgrades we made. So yes Casita's do hold their value.

Why Sad?

WOW an Escape 21' sure is a lot bigger overall then the 17' Casita. I have to admit the same thing again, never saw the inside of an Escape until the one I just bought and really had never seen one up close and 4' extra sure is a lot bigger and wonder how much that will effect the ease of towing and getting into campsites.

Yes we are very excited about our new home on wheels and the fact we plan on being camp host in our retirement life (still about 4 years away unfortunately) still believe this extra space will be something we like having but I guess time will tell.

THANK YOU for all the advice many of you have shared on this forum.

Safe travels to all and if you see a 21' Escape with GA tag please ask miss that Casita yet?

Steve and Patty

#2 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,321 posts
  • Local time: 08:51 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:26 AM

thanks, steve, for responding to my query by providing the "rest of your story". like you, i make thoughtful decisions after extensive research, sometimes years. i'm definitely NOT a spontaneous buyer, which has saved me lots of time, aggravation & cash over the years. also, like you, i'd never actually seen the inside of a casita 13ft PD, although i'd seen one "shell" under construction at the factory. couldn't tell much, it was really just half the egg, but the employee pointed out where the bathroom, bed, sink, etc would eventually go. however, i'd done extensive research, attended every rv show in the dfw area, visited the casita factory several times for years & had decided the casita was the one for me. i chose the 13ft PD due to the limitations of my then 19yr old tow vehicle & due to my inexperience with towing/camping in any rv.

when i drove to nearly the texas gulf coast from the north dallas area to buy my 4 month old 2013 PD on 2/1/14, i was blown away by it & immediately knew i was "home". i've never once regretted my decision & have no plans to change to anything else. it's been extremely easy to tow, park, maintain yet offers all the comforts i require, although i do wistfully wish i had a small freezer every once in awhile. fortunately, small freezers are available everywhere, so a solution is out there, if i ever decide i definitely want one.the icing on the cake has been the many casita friends/travel companions from all over the country & especially here in texas. they've provided me with solid information about all things casita & i camp/travel with several of them regularly.

if i were ever forced to change, i'd purchase a 17ft casita LD. however, i've also done extensive research on all of the other brands out there & i'd go to escape if i ever feel the need for more than 17ft or a truly 4 season trailer, which casita isn't. imho they build a good quality 4 season trailer at a very reasonable price. quality control is excellent as reported by owners.

best of luck with your escape. safe travels.

Edited by clairemr1, 10 August 2018 - 05:32 AM.

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#3 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,748 posts
  • Local time: 06:51 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:32 AM

stratos175, why in the world do you think you can no longer be a member of Casita Club? I mean, really, WHY??? There's folks on this forum...Rob and Linda hits my mind right off the bat...who no longer own a Casita but I, for one, still consider them members, friends and would hate to not have them  around or gain from their advice anymore.

I don't think Eric will come around with a truncheon saying get out. For that matter...I may be wrong, but I am not sure if Eric even camps anymore. It doesn't matter. I seldom if ever check to see what a member owns. I really don't care.

. It's what you bring to the campfire that counts. (no, not just free cold beer... <_<, I mean experience). I, for one, think of a member of this forum in other ways. what kind of person are they? what is their online persona..do they hide behind the so called anonymity of a 'handle' and an avatar? Do they take this anonymity as an opportunity to troll, or flame, call me names, falsely accuse me or libel me? Are they a ****head??  If so, I block them and ignore them. It's not the trailer they own, it's the person I look for.

I like to hang with people who are kind, polite, respectful, friendly, and are willing to take the time to give me the advice I seek, or..just read my extremely long and are patient with my sometimes off topic posts.  What they're camping in means nothing.

I have learned so much from so many people on this forum, it's all been well meant advice, anecdotes from experience, and the kindness to accept me for who and what I am that makes me a Casita Clubber.

Let's face it, campers are pretty much all alike, be they fiberglass or stick built. Just like cars, it doesn't matter if it's a Ford or a Toyota or a VW, it still has: an engine, four tires, a transmission and a steering wheel, to name just a few. Strip the model and make plastic letter tags off and unless you're really , really good at identifying cars, you're going to be stuck figuring out what brand it is.

So, Stratos175, I don't care if you're in an Escape, a tent, or even...well. okayyyyyy.......a skyblocker of an RV.  Go ahead park your monster sized way too big for me Escape :P  next to my dinky 17' ft Casita and come over to the fire.

I hope you stick around.

• Paul and Cathy, NASA42 B and Nitengale like this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#4 Fred&Holly

Fred&Holly
  • Casita Club Member
  • 157 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Independence 17'

Posted 31 August 2018 - 05:59 AM

We just returned from a 3 week trip up to VT and NH for a family reunion..and alot of camping w/o water or electric hookups,  What we found was that we CAN haul water to refill our Casita 25 gal tank and we do like the Solar panels AND WE HATE GENERATOR HOURS!

Actually we used the generator very little.   BTW there are ZERO electric and water hookups at any VT State parks..zero.

Did we miss not having an extra 4 feet of RV?  Not really!! ..  IMHO that extra 4' wd mean we wd have had a dinette set up full time, and probably a bit more storage space.  wh we have in abundance already, in our Indy + dbl cab, long bed Frontier truck.  There's only the 2 of us and the extra 10s of 1000s od dollars we did not spend on 4' + a bigger TV will be better spent on travel!!  ;-)

• Paul and Cathy, Meadowlark, NASA42 B and 2 others like this

#5 spencers

spencers
  • Casita Club Member
  • 28 posts
  • Local time: 09:51 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Getting into retirement and road trips, weather watching, birding, volunteering, beaches, shelling.
  • Trailer Name:Rosarita
  • Casita Club Directory #:27129

Posted 03 September 2018 - 01:23 PM

Hi, Steve

Your post is so timely! I've been searching for a "slightly bigger, taller" alternative to the Casita and am seriously considering the 21' Escape. If I win the lottery, I might go for the Oliver. Either one is hard to find used, at least in TX.  We've had several offers to buy our Casita and think we could easily get what we paid for her. But maybe I'd like to keep her for my solo Sisters on the Fly trips. Congrats on finding your 2014! Just color me green with envy.

Ann

#6 blugoo

blugoo
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:11 AM

a few more feet  with a different outcome.......ordered it and waited almost a year for delivery...in the mean time researched it more...ended up canceling order after doing the research......

doubt a Casita 19  will happen in this camper's lifetime...but one can hope.. :unsure:

Edited by blugoo, 05 September 2018 - 09:29 AM.

#7 robertplattbell

robertplattbell
  • Casita Club Member
  • 253 posts
  • Local time: 07:51 AM

Posted 07 October 2018 - 02:01 PM

We just put down a deposit on a 2019 Escape 21. We've had our Casita for over 15 years now and it is held up admirably. It is almost 20 years old and we just got back from a trip to Alaska.

The problem is I'm 15 years older as well and I haven't held up as well as the Casita has. I find it harder to bend over and twist and reach and do many things I have to do in the confined space of the Casita. 15 years ago this was not such an issue. Today it is more so.

The good news is we can probably sell our Casita for close to what we paid for it. We paid about $8,000 for it 15 years ago. From what I'm seeing online a used 1999 Casita is selling for about that much perhaps a little less. But even if we give it away we certainly have gotten our money's worth out of it.

With the exchange rate of the Canadian dollar, the Escape is a good value. Even fully loaded it comes out to about $33,000. This is not a lot more than a fully loaded Casita these days.

It will be nice to have insulated Windows, electric Awning, and a larger refrigerator. But we will still miss our little Casita.

My spouse won't miss climbing over me in the middle of the night to get to the bathroom.

Of course, I also have to buy a larger truck to tow the new trailer.

Edited by robertplattbell, 07 October 2018 - 02:05 PM.

• Rob and Linda and NASA42 B like this

#8 vermilye

vermilye
  • Casita Club Member
  • 391 posts
  • Interests:Photography, travel

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:43 AM

While not a former Casita owner, I went from an Escape 17B to an Escape 21.  I towed the 17B with a V6 RAV4 & a Tacoma for almost 100,000 miles over 6 years.  I loved the combination, and since I travel solo, size wise it worked well, particularly when towing with the RAV4.  I live in upstate NY in an area that has wonderful summers (on the shore of Lake Ontario) but 200" of snow in the winter.  After retiring, I decided to skip the snow, and head to Arizona.  I've spent the last 3 winters in the Quartzsite, AZ area, dry camping in the Long Term Visitor Areas.

That said, after spending months living in the trailer, I wanted an oven, a built in microwave, a 4 person dinette, and a permanent bed.  The advantage of a 6 cu ft refrigerator with separate freezer was also a consideration.  The 21 met all these "wants", although it required moving to a Ford F150 as a tow vehicle to be comfortable.

I love the room, the added appliances, and additional storage, but there are times I miss the smaller trailer.  The 17 felt like a fancy tent (I tent camped prior to buying the 17), while the 21 feels like a small house.  It is hard to describe the different ambiance, and while I wouldn't want to go back to the 17, there are some advantages of the smaller trailer. Still, long term living is far more comfortable in the larger trailer.  I have room for a pair of 160 watt solar panels on the roof which lets me use the inverter to run the microwave, and other appliances. Much more space to stretch out, and, as mentioned, more storage.

I know a few individuals that have both small & large trailers; I now understand why.  

• Rob and Linda and NASA42 B like this

#9 Ros M

Ros M
  • Casita Club Member
  • 148 posts
  • Local time: 03:51 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:none

Posted 08 October 2018 - 02:52 PM

You summed it up perfectly Vermilye.

#10 Rob and Linda

Rob and Linda
  • Casita Club Member
  • 597 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Airstream 23D
  • Interests:Photography, woodworking, fly fishing, hiking/backpacking, audio, Porsches.
  • Trailer Name:Fortune Cookie

Posted 09 October 2018 - 01:11 PM

While not a former Casita owner, I went from an Escape 17B to an Escape 21.  I towed the 17B with a V6 RAV4 & a Tacoma for almost 100,000 miles over 6 years.  I loved the combination, and since I travel solo, size wise it worked well, particularly when towing with the RAV4.  I live in upstate NY in an area that has wonderful summers (on the shore of Lake Ontario) but 200" of snow in the winter.  After retiring, I decided to skip the snow, and head to Arizona.  I've spent the last 3 winters in the Quartzsite, AZ area, dry camping in the Long Term Visitor Areas.

That said, after spending months living in the trailer, I wanted an oven, a built in microwave, a 4 person dinette, and a permanent bed.  The advantage of a 6 cu ft refrigerator with separate freezer was also a consideration.  The 21 met all these "wants", although it required moving to a Ford F150 as a tow vehicle to be comfortable.

I love the room, the added appliances, and additional storage, but there are times I miss the smaller trailer.  The 17 felt like a fancy tent (I tent camped prior to buying the 17), while the 21 feels like a small house.  It is hard to describe the different ambiance, and while I wouldn't want to go back to the 17, there are some advantages of the smaller trailer. Still, long term living is far more comfortable in the larger trailer.  I have room for a pair of 160 watt solar panels on the roof which lets me use the inverter to run the microwave, and other appliances. Much more space to stretch out, and, as mentioned, more storage.

I know a few individuals that have both small & large trailers; I now understand why.  

I completely agree.  

Edited by Rob and Linda, 09 October 2018 - 03:14 PM.

Rob & Linda, Hurst, Texas
Our ex-Casita Photos
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd300/albums/72157626742329244

Airstream Photos - https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd300/albums/72157663633667345
2014 Airstream 23D International Serenity
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost Max Tow

#11 robertplattbell

robertplattbell
  • Casita Club Member
  • 253 posts
  • Local time: 07:51 AM

Posted 28 October 2018 - 04:29 PM

15 years in the Casita and I still hit my head on the top of the front door or bathroom door (why, dear God, is it so low? It could be 6" higher!). Hit my head today and nearly knocked myself out!

I was getting all weepy about selling the Casita - not anymore. It is time to sell.

One more trip to Florida in the spring and she goes on eBay.

Takes 9 months to build the Escape - same time it takes to make a baby!

Edited by robertplattbell, 28 October 2018 - 04:33 PM.