• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,606 posts
  • Local time: 04:24 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:02 PM

We recently upgraded our black/gray drains system to incorporate LHC's fast gray drain.

The kit does NOT include a black tank T valve. We figured that, as long as we're replacing the rest of the system, why not put in a new black tank T valve as well. We purchased a new black tank T valve from an RV store and installed it as part of the whole upgrade process. 

It leaks. We discovered that BEFORE we used it, using water. The instructions for installation are scant at best, are virtually useless. I believe it advises to NOT tighten the four mounting bolts too tightly.

I'm not sure why it's leaking. It's brand new. I think I remember seeing that there was a gap between the side of the 'curtain' and the housing, but...that may just be my imagination, and we've not dismounted it to see why it's leaking. Yet.

The question arises in my mind...given that the T valves are subject to drying out, and sometimes failing altogether; the stem sometimes pulling out completely; sometimes the O rings getting buggered up or an installer not getting it exactly smuck on in the so called 'groove'  for the O ring, which I have found is virtually non-existent, etc, why are they used AT ALL?

Why not use a simple ball valve?

Is there some reason why this particular system that seems to be susceptible to problems is the preferred installation for RV's/trailers, etc???

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#2 Mark P

Mark P
  • Casita Club Member
  • 60 posts
  • Local time: 05:24 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' 2007 FD

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:12 PM

My guesses:  Cost?  And, they actually do work for years when properly installed and maintained?

We drain our tanks dry before coming home from a trip. Then I spray the valves liberally with silicone before putting the trailer away.  That keeps the gaskets from drying out or getting "buggered".  Altogether, pretty maintenance-free.   

On the road; sometimes there is a tablespoon full or two of black tank seepage, which seems to depend on how full the tank is + how long the valve has had to hold back the pressure (there is quite a bit of psi against the valve when the tank gets a few days full, compounded by bouncing down the road).

So, does the "fast drain" drain appreciably faster?

Mark and Ann
2007 17' FD
2017 Ram Laramie 1500

#3 jwpark

jwpark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 178 posts
  • Local time: 07:24 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2012 16ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:canoeing, kayaking, camping, web design

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:18 PM

My guesses:  Cost?  And, they actually do work for years when properly installed and maintained?

We drain our tanks dry before coming home from a trip. Then I spray the valves liberally with silicone before putting the trailer away.  That keeps the gaskets from drying out or getting "buggered".  Altogether, pretty maintenance-free.   

On the road; sometimes there is a tablespoon full or two of black tank seepage, which seems to depend on how full the tank is + how long the valve has had to hold back the pressure (there is quite a bit of psi against the valve when the tank gets a few days full, compounded by bouncing down the road).

So, does the "fast drain" drain appreciably faster?

It really isn't that much pressure against the gate. Fresh water: exerts 0.43 psi per 1 foot  of height.  

jwpark

#4 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,606 posts
  • Local time: 04:24 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:23 PM

I don't honestly see the fast drain draining appreciably faster but perhaps I'm not clear on what it means. The first rush of water from the gray is obvious but we still get the dribbling for a while.  And then, again, I'm not doing the draining, normally. I'm the one inside the Casita hosing the toilet.  But I do like that, should I have to change out the gray water T valve, now I don't have to search for the smaller one. I don't understand why there is a size difference in the first place.

We seldom travel with the tanks full. We dump any time we have the opportunity, because there have been times when we were in a primitive/ dry camp site where we didn't have a dump site available. I'd rather go in empty than have a few days accumulation. I know, it's said that one shouldn't dump until the tank is almost filled...but.........it's okay. So far we've not had problems.

I've started keeping a glop of 'toilet seal' lube in the toilet and will start keeping some seal lube in the pipes during the winter. We keep a heater going in the camper during the winter, more for keeping mildew down in our wet, wet winters.

But again, I wonder why the T valve is used in the first place. It  seems to me that there are more potential problems than benefits. 

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#5 madjack

madjack
  • Casita Club Member
  • 129 posts
  • Local time: 07:24 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 FD17
  • Interests:camping, shooting sports, camp cooking, building "stuff" and anything that gets me out doors

About me...20+yrs as a commercial OTR driver, logging over 2million accident free miles...previous to that, 20 yrs in the construction trades...owned a few travel trailers and teardrop campers along with more single and double axle utility trailers than I can count and as such have hauled everything from a nail, a 2x4, vehicles, construction equipment of all kinds all the way up to 100,000# steel beams, chemicals and other heavy haul and haz-mat item(s)
  • Trailer Name:Gator Eggs and Boudin(boo-dan)

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:53 PM

The only thing I could think besides cost is ball valves when closed cam(possibly) trap some liquid in the passage which can freeze causing damage...I dunno......
madjack😎

Edited by madjack, 07 August 2018 - 07:54 PM.

Jack and Marlene driving a.......'99 GMC 1500 Sierra SLE ext cab.......max suspension/cooling package..........5.3l V8auto w/200,000 mi and still hummin' along..........