9 replies to this topic

#1 casitauser

casitauser
  • Casita Club Member
  • 37 posts
  • Local time: 06:56 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17FD

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:37 PM

I am ready to bite the bullet and buy new wheels and tires for my 2008 17 FD that has been setting idle for over a year after a Kumho blowout.

I have concluded that the new Goodyear Endurance looks very good (new design, high load capacity and high speed rating).

First, I have a question about the tires.  It costs only about $5 for each of the three tires to go up from the 205/75 D tires, to the 225/75 tires, so that I am thinking of doing that. 

My question, is wether there any downside or problem  with doing that (225 instead of 205).  It only amounts to less than half an inch wider and taller than the 205s, but maybe the 225s are built a little more strongly to allow them to be load range E???

Please let me know if I am missing any problem.

As for the wheels, I know nothing about them, but I do think I know that I need to buy the 15" x 6 wide 5 on 4-1/2 wheels.  I do not need any fancy alloy wheels, so I was looking at the Dexter wheels in that size on E-Trailer for about $40 each.  

Can anyone tell me of a better choice in terms of price and quality?  Also, does the fact that there is no mention of offset mean that those wheels are zero offset as required by the Casita?

I would greatly appreciate confirmation of my tentative choices  and any other help.

Thank you all

#2 casitauser

casitauser
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:06 AM

Please, will someone offer some insight on this....I need to order soon, and any experience or thoughts would be a great help!

#3 nealreust

nealreust
  • Casita Club Member
  • 151 posts
  • Local time: 04:56 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:08FD17
  • Trailer Name:Bert

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:45 AM

The 225/75 tires will probably give you greater load rating and higher speed rating, $5 per tire seems a bargain for that safety margin.

The Endurance 205/75 are in use on many Casitas and other trailers.  I have not seen any failure reports.  They should be fine.

E trailers prices always seem reasonable.

Neal & Kaye Reust
Las Cruces, NM
2008 17 FD "Bert" (Eggbert)
2009 Nissan Titan

#4 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,930 posts
  • Local time: 03:56 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:04 PM

OK, I'll give my two cents. We  purchased the Maxxis 8008 range E. I think the size is the 225/75, I'm not sure but I do know we have the 15" tires. Got them at Discount Tire and qualified for their  $60 rebate. We bought them last summer (2017)  and we've put about 10K miles on them and have had no problems whatsoever.

In my humble opinion, they are the best tires. But it's merely my opinion and I think the reason more folks haven't responded to your question is because the Great Tire Debate on this website, at least, is a topic that  gets heated at times, has been hashed, argued,  and debated so many times that we're a bit wary of starting it up again. I have no idea why some folks get irate when someone has a different opinion about tires........but they do.

Again, this is only my opinion, but tires are so very important, that I'd bite the bullet and spend a little more on a quality ones rather than look at a blown tire and think, boy, I saved $5 by buying this one....

I am not certain why you want new wheels. Are the ones on  your camper bad, warped??? I can't advise you on wheels as we've had no problems with our original ones, but going with Dexter...the company that made your axle (I didn't know they made wheels, by the way) is probably not a bad thing to do.

• clairemr1 likes this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#5 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts
  • Local time: 05:56 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:30 PM

seems like this same question was asked before by the same poster. i agree with meadowlark, this subject has been hashed/rehashed/debated nearly to death. bottom line, our opinions are just that, opinions. a search on this topic will most certainly reveal our past discussions on this overly discussed topic. best of luck in your decision

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#6 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 583 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:02 PM

Dude, the best advice I can give you is to consult a professional at your local tire store. He/She would be your best resource in answering your questions. It is one thing to ask this group their opinion on what kind of tires they like, but I can think of only one member who I would consider a tire professional/expert, and he is on the road enjoying his Casita. In the time you might wait for a response from him, you could have the right tire for you bought and mounted on your Casita, and back on the road enjoying your trailer as well. Best of luck!

Toddy

#7 friz

friz
  • Casita Club Member
  • 749 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' LD

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:57 AM

My last set of tires came from Discount Tire Co.   They are the only outfit I could find that offered a road hazard warranty on a trailer tire.  I don't see any point in using anything better than the 15 inch 205's.  I have had two blowouts with trailer tires in the 15 years that I've been towing a Casita. 

The first flat I just happened to look in the side mirror and see the tire moving around.  The second blowout I never knew when it happened, just looked in the mirror and saw that the tire was missing.  The benefit of towing with an F150. 

A TPMS might have prevented both.  Pick up a nail, and there it goes.

Edited by friz, 21 July 2018 - 10:58 AM.

#8 casitauser

casitauser
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 06:45 PM

Thank you all who have replied so far.  It has been of help.  More would be appreciated.  Particularly any comments about new wheels would be helpful.  I am buying new wheels because the past consensus has been that the larger 15' wheels and tires are at least somewhat better in terms of reliability.  Already having the high-lift axle, and having one wheel destroyed by the last blowout of the Kumho 14", I have decided to invest the additional $80 or so to get all three new, 15" wheels.  

As I suspected from my past (over two years ago) experience with tire issues on this and the other Casita site, members are now gun-shy about commenting on tires, because in the past such discussions have been so contentious and sometimes angry.  

I understand that...but maybe it is time to move on.  Nobody should be subjected to criticism for their observations or experience.  It is only when people suggest that they know best, or that their personal (and thereby limited) experience is absolutely perfect and indisputable would or should there be any controversy.

Nobody needs to defend their tires.  If you are lucky enough to have tires that have even the worst reputation and yet have served you well, there is no need to defend those tires from those who have had bad experience.  Similarly, if you have had terrible experience with tires that have the best reputation from a large number of users, there is nothing wrong with reporting your bad experience, but that experience does not negate the good experience of many others.

Or am I wrong?

The truth shall set you free!

• Meadowlark and NASA42 B like this

#9 Fred&Holly

Fred&Holly
  • Casita Club Member
  • 240 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Independence 17'

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:04 PM

Tires we got from factory are 15 HD Goodyears. Put about 4000 miles on m since April. No trouble so far

#10 Spongelander

Spongelander
  • Casita Club Member
  • 8 posts
  • Local time: 03:56 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Liberty Deluxe 17'

Posted 01 August 2018 - 07:25 PM

Okay,

the 15" wheels will turn a bit more slowly (1/14th more slowly?). I like the Goodyear ENDURANCE, not the MARATHON, which is the previous, problematic tire (we had internal ply separation on one of ours). If you're going to spend the money, make sure your new wheels are capable of 80PSI (the stock ones are only rated for 65PSI), so you can run the new Endurance tires at 80PSI *if for some reason you need to.* 

If your trailer is reasonably stock, you will NOT need to run this pressure. 55-60 PSI is just fine, should say so on your trailer. the E rating will give you a larger margin of safety, and will permit running at lower pressure. 

The link below shows load capacity at various inflation amounts - our trailer is stock, and we run at 55-60PSI. We could probably get away with less, but don't want more -  80PSI would shake the poor trailer to pieces.

https://www.goodyear...v_inflation.pdf

We've put about 8000 miles on our Endurance tires, with no complaints and little visible wear. 

Mac & Belinda

Yamhill County, OR.

2013 Liberty Deluxe 17'

2017 4Runner TV

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tires, Wheels