4 replies to this topic

#1 LizD

LizD
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 05:56 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17' Spirit Deluxe

Posted 09 July 2018 - 07:15 PM

I am going to replace my propane regulator which I hope will solve my fridge problems. I am traveling and picked up a regulator at an RV place (which I now realize was WAY overpriced 😠 - I didnt have cell service to check around) and am just now getting around to installing it. It is a Camco brand and what is on my 2011 SD is a Marshall brand. The connection to the pigtails is slightly different, which of course I didnt realize when I bought it but t was the only one they sold. The Camco inlet is 1/4 and the connection on the Marshall pigtails is 3/8. Also the Marshall pigtails screw directly into the regulator whereas the Camco regulator itself has brass fittings attached and the Marshall does not. I really dont want to spend more $$ buying new pigtails. From what I have read also the Marshall pigtails are 10 and Camco pigtails are 12 so I really dont want to have to search for 10 ones. There is a store in town that sells the Camco pigtail but they only have one and it is $20. I went to 2 hardware stores and could not find an appropriate adaptor. Has anyone used a Camco replacement and had this issue and did you just buy adaptors? I have had no luck finding the right size adaptor. Also I am traveling so ordering anything online and trying to figure out where I will be when it will arrive is really a pain so I would rather not hunt for things on Amazon. I really didnt think this would be a difficult task 😂. Cant figure out how to insert a photo.

#2 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 499 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:59 AM

I have found that Lowes carries a wider selection of adapters than does Home Depot. Find an associate in plumbing and tell them what you are up against and they should be able to help. Short of that, smaller hardware stores in towns along the way should have what you need. You may have to stop at a few before you find one that has the adapter that you need, but embrace the opportunity to meet a stranger and make a new friend. Best of luck!

Toddy

#3 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,365 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:15 AM

some years ago I too made the mistake and bought the wrong size pigtails to go with the regulator. I was able to purchase a hardware adapter specifically to step the size gap between the two items. I got that at a large RV store about 30 miles from home. 

this winter when I replaced the regulator and pigtails I paid a bit closer attention to sizes, your not alone on making a mistake on what to purchase and not purchase

very short pigtails have worked the best from me

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#4 flcoxjr

flcoxjr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 197 posts
  • Local time: 06:56 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Spirit Deluxe 17

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:41 AM

The regulator that came on my Casita from the factory had an adapter for the pigtails. If I remember correctly the adapter was so the 1/4” hose would fit the 3/8” female threads of the regulator . When I replaced the pigtails I inadvertently removed both the pigtail and adapter, and at first thought it was all one piece. Closer examination showed I had an adapter on the end of the old pigtail.

#5 LizD

LizD
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17' Spirit Deluxe

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:57 AM

Yeah the Marshall pigtail has a brass conntector attached to it that screws directly into the regulator. The Camco regulator, however, has brass connectors attached to it that do not appear to be designed to be removed. And the connector on the Marshall pigtail wont fit. A guy at wh hardware store said it looked like they were epoxied in. I *think* if I would get them out that maybe the Marshall pigtails would then fit, but I am not completely sure. And I already overpaid for the darn thing so I dont want to mess it up by forcing them. I have tried and they are in there awfully tight. I bought used so I dont have any adaptors. I found it odd that neither hardware store had anything in the proper size. Im in a fairly small town and the closest Lowes is about 130 miles away. I may have to wait til I get near a larger town. Or I may call Marshall or Casita for that matter and ask their advice.