Photo

Use Coaxial Connector For Cell Booster Antenna?

coaxial connector cell booster antenna cable tv

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 imcadams

imcadams
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 10:00 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 17 Deluxe

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:03 PM

Greetings!

On our 17’ SD, we have a coaxial connector towards the back of the roof, on the left side.  I am pretty sure it’s a 75ohm coaxial cable connector, commonly used for cable TV. 
I am wondering if anyone else has used that connector, that lets out inside near the A/C outlet, to plug in an exterior antenna, to boost one's cell signal.  Ie. the exterior antenna would wire to the booster inside the trailer, which is connected to the inside antenna, to pick up our cell signal from a hotspot placed nearby. 

We’ve been looking at the WeBoost OTR kit, especially because it uses this same type of coax cable.  But there are many things to go wrong: possible oscillation if inside antenna (candy bar) is too close to the outside (which i would place as far forwards as our 17’ will allow), or too much signal drop via this coax connection or length of cable, etc.etc.  

Please RSVP if you have experience or any input;  thanks so much.  

#2 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 504 posts
  • Local time: 10:00 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:42 AM

We connect an omnidirectional antenna to that port and use it for a TV signal, but have never used it as a booster for our cell phone signals. The only problem we have ever encountered is that we get interference with the TV signal when running the exhaust fan above the stove or in the bathroom. Not sure if that is helpful, but thought I would share what I know. Best of luck!

Toddy

#3 f_stop

f_stop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts
  • Local time: 11:00 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:16' spirit deluxe

Posted 07 July 2018 - 01:14 PM

i have a wilson "we boost" and while it connects via coax it's a much smaller cable and connector that normally used for television, etc.  my kit came with an interior window mount antenna and often that's enough.  when it isn't i use wilson's roof mount antenna and route the cable in thru the power cord cave.  there's a flagpole holder mounted to the casita rear bumper.  that holds an expandable painter's pole and the antenna's magnetic mount holds to a very small and thin steel plate that fits the threads on the pole.  i've only used my setup with a phone and only had a hotspot device for a while.  my phone has hotspot built in and i didn't see any reason to have two.

p@

"peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from the gods"
kurt vonnegut, the sirens of titan

#4 nealreust

nealreust
  • Casita Club Member
  • 143 posts
  • Local time: 08:00 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:08FD17
  • Trailer Name:Bert

Posted 07 July 2018 - 02:45 PM

The connector on your Casita is a standard F type connector.

The WeBoost  uses SMA connectors.

Search google for SMA to F type adapters, you'll find plenty.

Neal & Kaye Reust
Las Cruces, NM
2008 17 FD "Bert" (Eggbert)
2009 Nissan Titan

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coaxial, connector, cell, booster, antenna, cable, tv