• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dinodave

dinodave
  • Casita Club Member
  • 11 posts
  • Local time: 03:06 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2004 17" liberty
  • Interests:Paleontologist by profession.

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:34 AM

Hello All,

I'm Dave and my wife Deanna are new Casita Club members from Colorado.

This is our first camper. We are very happy with it. It is a 2004 17' Liberty. I bought it four months ago and have been restoring and customizing it for our first trip to Palo Duro Canyon. We just returned from Texas. Had a blast with 28 friends from church.

We have a lot of really cool custom things I have done to it that I would like to share if there is a forum for customizing.

We have an interest in meeting up with other Casita owners at rendezvous if there is one close.

My wife said, "How will we find our Casita because they all look alike?" So I decided to do some airbrushed artwork on the front of the camper so we could tell ourselves apart from the others. Lol. First time I had ever used and airbrush before, so it was kinda scarey because if it didn't turn out OK, it's not like I could just wash it off and start over again. Turned out OK.

It's pretty fun. Picture included

Since the camper was a 2004, it had a very dull oxidized finish, so I sprayed a clear coat finish on it to make it showroom shiny and to protect the artwork.

Looking forward to meeting up this year with other eggheads.

Blessings!

Dave and Deanna

Attached Thumbnails

• art work.jpg

Peace be the Journey!

Cool Running's,

Dave and Deanna

#2 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,275 posts
  • Local time: 04:06 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:32 AM

welcome, folks. dave, you're quite the artist. i am in the process of decorating the interior/exterior of my casita in a bluebonnet theme. however, i really like the look of a clean, white exterior. i have removed the "casita" name from over the tongue & both sides. only the stripes remain & they may be the next to go. i have asked an artist friend of mine to paint bluebonnets on my new tire covers, new spare tire cover & new ac cover (my ac is located to the lower right next to the door & has a vinyl cover over the grill when not in use.). i have seen spare tire covers painted but not the tire or ac covers. i think i'll like the look & will be able to change my theme at some future time, since the vinyl covers last me about 3-4 yrs with uv exposure.

what paint do you recommend for this vinyl application? should we then apply something over the paint to preserve it? thanks for any info & congrats on your purchase. safe travels.

Edited by clairemr1, 10 June 2018 - 04:20 PM.

• dinodave likes this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#3 dinodave

dinodave
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:44 PM

Hey Clair and Merlin,

Thanks for the compliment, but it's my first time to use an airbrush. I went to a local camper place in Colorado Springs to see what paint to use so it wouldn't compete with other paints. They said use automotive paint. Wow it was expensive to do this little bit of art work. I needed six colors. A half pint of each ran from $29.00 to $54.00 per color. It was around $250.00 plus a quart of clear coat for $50.00

Although I am an artist and a sculptor, my painting has always been with a brush on canvas. 

Probably the best thing to do is go to an art store and ask them what paint works on vinyl. Acrylic would probably flake off. Maybe enamel.

BTW, see you're from Lake Dallas. I grew up and lived in Dallas until about 20 years ago. Casa View area.

Post when you're done with the flowers.

Cool Running's!

Peace be the Journey!

Dave and Deanna

Peace be the Journey!

Cool Running's,

Dave and Deanna

#4 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:30 PM

thanks, dave, for posting the details/costs of your project. i like the idea of asking an art store about suitable paint for vinyl. it will be a bit of a challenge, i know, as the vinyl covers eventually crack/split & need replacing. i contacted "titan wraps" in lewisville. they showed me a really nice large oval decal of a field of bluebonnets that would look great over the tongue for $60 & "cut out" bluebonnet decals that would go where the casita names used to be at the back of the trailer for $20 each, if i decide to go that route rather than painting the vinyl covers. guess my next step is to visit an art store & see if painting vinyl covers is a good idea.i'll also ask about suitable paint for cotton fabric, as i want my friend to paint bluebonnets on the curtain that i use in place of the bathroom door.

let us know if you get to the north texas area. a group of us camp together on a regular basis when we're in the area. safe travels. claire & merlin

Edited by clairemr1, 10 June 2018 - 04:39 PM.

• dinodave likes this

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#5 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 873 posts
  • Local time: 02:06 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:30 PM

Welcome aboard....nice paint work!   One of these days you should plan a trip to the Pacific Northwest......beatuiful country. Safe travels.

• dinodave likes this

#6 dinodave

dinodave
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 04:12 AM

Just getting started camping. Pacific north west is a long way. Our first trip to Palo Duro brought a few disasters with this non experienced camper.

I left up my awning one night and went off to see the show "Texas". When I came back, the wind had broken some pieces on my awning.

I'm in the process of trying to get some pieces from Fiamma. The two spring arms. $560.00 Ouch!!!!! Expensive mistake.  Won't make that mistake again.

Peace be the Journey!

Cool Running's,

Dave and Deanna

#7 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:37 AM

sorry to hear about your awning, dave. i have a love/hate relationship with mine. i know it's the "weakest" part of my trailer. i never deploy it under trees (tree debris needs to be completely removed before retracting it or it will prevent the awning from closing properly & it can then deploy while you're traveling down the freeway!). don't secure it to the casita (those brackets on the body of the trailer are notoriously weak), always stake it properly to the ground & use tie downs over the awning to secure it even further. i don't usually sleep with it deployed & never leave the trailer with it deployed. check the screws periodically as they can work loose.

i deploy mine only when i'm going to be present at the trailer, in full sun, little to no wind & retract it before going to bed, usually. if something ever happens to mine, i won't replace it. i'll get a clam or some similar screened enclosure. it's just too expensive to try to fix/replace & i feel there are better options available. the only advantage i see to it is it's secured there on the trailer, so less to carry in my truck.

Edited by clairemr1, 12 June 2018 - 11:44 AM.

• NASA42 B likes this

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#8 dinodave

dinodave
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:18 PM

Hey Clair and Merlin,

The Fiamma company would not sell me the parts. Sais that I had to buy both arms for $560.00

I found a company in the UK that had a PDF file on all awnings and other fiamma products and forwarded the link to them to show them I could buy the parts from this other company. They were just holding me ransom to buy the whole banana. Once I sent the file to them, they changed their tune and said, "Oh yes we can sell you those parts. But they are a different number. scum buckets. Getting the parts for $50.00 and that includes shipping.

I dealt with these people on ordering another piece that holds the crank inside the camper. They wanted $30 each for these little plastic clips and the wouldn't send them in the same package and wanted $15 shipping each for a total of $90.00 for a couple of 50 cent clips. I went to Ace hardware and bought a pair of multi-function spring clips for $3.95 and they work better than the plastic clips. And they will never break. 

Below is the link if anyone wants to see the PDF. Just mentoion this company when ordering and they will work with you.

https://www.camperla...ochure_2009.pdf

Peace be the Journey!

Cool Running's,

Dave and Deanna

#9 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:44 AM

wow, dave, i'm surprised & disappointed to hear this story about fiamma. sounds like their business practice has gotten very predatory. they experienced a tragedy a while back when most of their employees, including the manager, were killed by a disgruntled ex-employee. perhaps the replacement employees have decided to change the way they deal with customers. thanks for posting this. i'm even more likely to simply remove my awning if/when it gets damaged & replace it with a free-standing screen room. sadly, it seems more & more companies are putting profits ahead of customer service.

Edited by clairemr1, 13 June 2018 - 03:45 AM.

• dinodave likes this

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#10 dinodave

dinodave
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:22 AM

Wow, I hadn't heard about that.

Peace be the Journey!

Cool Running's,

Dave and Deanna

#11 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,364 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:00 AM

Wow, I hadn't heard about that.

The Orlando Florida shop is an authorized distributor of Fiamma products. I first called them 7-8 years ago for some awning parts and they referred me to GoWesty, also in Florida, in that they had more spare parts. Since that time I have bought awing parts from GoWesty 4xs. The odd thing about this GoWesty must get their parts via the Fiamma distributor in Orlando because their supplies dwindled after the shooting.

https://www.washingt...m=.d5228367dde3

www.gowesty.com

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#12 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 873 posts
  • Local time: 02:06 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:17 PM

Sorry to hear about the awning.  We don't have an awning...I pack a clam canopy in the truck...we love it...easy to put up/take down.  Does the trick for us.

• clairemr1 likes this