Photo

Anyone Using A Biolite (Tm) Stove For Extra Power??

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fred&Holly

Fred&Holly
  • Casita Club Member
  • 100 posts
  • Local time: 05:06 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Independence 17'

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:43 PM

Saw these a few daye ago..I'm becomming a dang "gear-head" I think!! Look interesting tho:

https://www.bioliteenergy.com/

#2 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 499 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 09 June 2018 - 02:55 AM

I am a hug fan of gadgets as well and have invested lots of money in them over the years. But the more I camp the more I realize I don’t need and the less I want to drag through life with me. I am in a huge downsizing mode at the house right now and have been cleansing closets and drawers asking myself, am I every really going to use/wear this again. It is difficult to part with perfectly good stuff, but in the same breath, I find it liberating! I have really tried to adopt two nuggets of wisdom shared by great people on this forum:

1) No single purpose items.
2) Wait to add something until you have missed it twice.

Toddy

#3 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,275 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:41 AM

delete

Edited by clairemr1, 09 June 2018 - 05:23 AM.

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#4 Bubba

Bubba
  • Casita Club Member
  • 494 posts
  • Local time: 03:06 PM

Posted 09 June 2018 - 04:58 AM

We have 4 Biolite products.  The Camp Stove 2 bundle, PowerLite bundle,  BioLite Kettle-Charge Battery and the BaseCamp.  Keep in mind that thermoelectric generator requires temperature differences to generate electrical energy. Since the Camp Stove and Base Camp suck in ambient temperature, outside, temperature the hotter it is outside the less efficient the stoves. IMO ranking:

1. We use PowerLite bundle all the time.  It provides us with reasonable lighting as well as recharging/ refreshing our cell phones.
  2. BioLite Kettle_Charge – We use it to boil our water for coffee/tea.  Since the water that goes in the kettle is normally significantly cooler that the air temperature the kettle’s thermoelectric generator works great.
  3. Camp Stove bundle especially the Kettle Pot and the Portalbe Grill accessories. Fire preparation is everything for the camp stove. It’s a hassle to cut the wood to lengths to fit in the depth of the camp stove.  The camp stove is NOT charcoal friendly.
  4. The Base Camp was disappointing, and I gave it to my son.

I have not purchased any of BioLite solar products. I will probably try the FirePit because it is charcoal friendly. I will probably wait until the fan that is used in the FirePit is also a thermoelectric generator.

Bubba (Member 1527)
N 30.053633
W-95.230900
Altitude 69 ft
2010 Tundra Double Cab 8' bed
17' Casita a.k.a.Omelet
post-1045-1281522225_thumb.jpg