• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,319 posts
  • Local time: 06:19 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:55 PM

OK.  Here’s the picture.   We are at a point in our lives where, if we are going to continue camping at some of our favorite rather remote parks, we should carry some kind of emergency SOS beacon.  So I’ve been researching SOS messaging devices; Garmin inReach, SPOT, Ocean Signal , ACR ResQlink, etc. Does anyone have something like this?  Pros & Cons?  Any recommendations?

We are both relatively healthy but Jack recently had hip surgery and has had 2 hip dislocations since surgery.  If that happens, he probably couldn’t be safely moved without a stretcher.

We are never totally isolated.  But, for instance,  at our favorite place there is zero phone reception and the nearest town is 1.5 hours away.  The nearest place to contact the outside world is a lodge 45 min away where they have a 2-way radio.   When we are not together, we use walkie-talkies with limited range to stay in touch.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#2 ewauld

ewauld
  • Casita Club Member
  • 42 posts
  • Local time: 05:19 AM

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:55 PM

On Land, I carry an ACR 2881 PLB-375 RESQLINK+ 406 BUOYANT PERSONAL LOCATOR BEACON.

On Water, I carry a ResQlink PLB 300....

There is also an Artex PLB that is quite small...

2000 17' SD
08 Trailblazer TV

#3 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,319 posts
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:26 PM

Thanks, ewauld.  How do you think the ACR2881 that you use would do in an area with high mountains all around? 

Carol Christensen

#4 DanO

DanO
  • Casita Club Member
  • 94 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Liberty Deluxe - 17'

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:44 AM

I follow several Pacific Crest Trail and Continental Divide Trail thru hikers. Weapon of choice seems to be the inReach units. Both can text message as well as send locations and requests for emergency help. There are now 2 sizes - prices running $300-$350. Check REI.com - they had the larger one on sale......

DanO

#5 friz

friz
  • Casita Club Member
  • 754 posts
  • Local time: 07:19 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' LD

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:28 PM

Amateur radio is a good low budget way to communicate from remote locations.  Knowing morse code isn't a requirement on most of the bands.  This is a good hobby for retired folks with time on their hands.

Can go through satellites and direct communications depending on atmosphere conditions, time of day, and repeater locations.

>Do the bands only reach amateurs and the msg would be relayed to an emergency facility?

Lots of people listen in on the Ham bands other than Hams.

> Would it work in a valley surrounded by mountains? 

Lower frequency bands can follow the earth's surface at night, upper frequencies can benefit from skip (radio waves reflected from the ionosphere) which can happen anytime.

During atmospheric skip conditions including temperature inversions, you could reach a terrestrial station. You may have noticed this when a cold front comes through, and you could view TV stations from hundreds of miles away. 

Edited by friz, 08 June 2018 - 12:39 PM.

#6 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:13 PM

DanO, thanks.  For us, InReach devices look very complicated.  We don't even have Smart phones!  They do look great for people hiking in the wilderness to keep in touch and for emergencies.  I definitely want the SOS feature and it would be nice to have 2-way communications to let them know the nature of the emergency.  But I think InReach may have more features than we would ever use.  The simpler the better for us.   I'll check them out further tho.

fritz.  I hadn't thought of amateur radio.  And I know nothing about them. Do the bands only reach amateurs and the msg would be relayed to an emergency facility?  Would it work in a valley surrounded by mountains?  (I guess it would if it used satellites.)

Thanks.

Carol Christensen

#7 ewauld

ewauld
  • Casita Club Member
  • 42 posts
  • Local time: 05:19 AM

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:43 PM

How do you think the ACR2881 that you use would do in an area with high mountains all around?

High mountains don't get in the way of satellites, but trees do...have to have a clear view of the sky

so the satellites can detect your signal. No way to send messages to anyone...just sends a signal

that you need help and your location. Other types use different satellites and have to ability to send

limited messages to family or others and they have a subscription that goes along with their system.

The ACR has no subscription and no limited message sending to family and others

2000 17' SD
08 Trailblazer TV

#8 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 07:51 AM

Although the campground itself is heavily forested, it's along a lake with a lot of open space on the campground side.  So that should be ok.  In fact, at night we can see a satellite from our favorite campsite.

Thanks for the additional info.  As I look into this subject further, I realize the technology is rapidly changing.  It's not always possible (for me) to tell which is most recent.  For instance, I was looking at Delorme InReach then found out it had been bought out by Garmin.

Edited by Carol Christensen, 09 June 2018 - 12:46 PM.

Carol Christensen

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: safety, sos, rescue, accident, accidents