BlueVioletGal
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 02:59 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita Spirit Deluxe/16'
  • Interests:sewing, gardening, woodworking,

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:50 PM

Hi everybody!

BlueVioletGal here, newly retired and ready for some adventures.  I love to sew and can make just about anything. I also have a fruit garden with blueberries, black raspberries, red raspberries both wild and nursery, elderberries, and concord grapes as well as peaches, apricots, plums and a pear and apple tree that have yet to produce anything.  The squirrels and rabbits have destroyed all attempts at growing vegetables, but the fox den under my shed this spring has reduced their population so I might have veggies this year too.

I just bought a 1995 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16' off Craigslist and now all I need is a vehicle to tow it!   ha ha... My Toyota hatchback has a tow hitch, but is only rated to haul a bike-rack... My 1999 Buick Park Ave has a dead battery, flat tire and broken power steering hose. I could fix it, but I'd rather have something newer to travel across the country. Any suggestions?  

#2 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 590 posts
  • Local time: 12:59 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:58 AM

Welcome aboard Blue Violet! You sound like the neighbor we would all love to have. Your berry garden sounds like we could spend the summer baking pies from it. HA!

I tow with a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac (think of a mid-sized four-door truck), with 140K miles on her. If I were to replace her, I would seriously look at the GMC Canyon or the Chevy Colorado. They are the same truck, but I think the trim packages on the GMC might be a little nicer.

Anyway, best of luck to you this summer. The more you camp the more you will love your Casita so hope our paths cross one day. We are still working, but do have our sights set on retirement in a few years.

Toddy

• NASA42 B likes this

#3 Scratch7

Scratch7
  • Casita Club Member
  • 105 posts
  • Local time: 07:59 PM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:33 AM

There are a lot of tow vehicle options if you stay around 5000# tow capacity. That will give you a good safety margin, without worrying about how much you have loaded into the Casita (supplies, cloths, pots, pans, etc) as well as fresh water, black tank, gray water. With the 16' a little less in capacity is possible. 

Some caution is needed in how you load the 16' vs the 17'. The 16' Casitas tend to get a bit too light on the tongue (tongue weight) which can lead to "fishtailing". So if you are going to add any weight like a bike rack it might not be a good idea to put it on the back of the Casita unless you add some tongue weight. 

I'm partial to Ford trucks. If you can find used in Maryland an F150 will be more than adequate. 

• NASA42 B likes this

#4 oregonlavender

oregonlavender
  • Casita Club Member
  • 139 posts
  • Local time: 11:59 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:FD 2014 16'
  • Interests:Gardening
    Casita-ing

Posted 01 June 2018 - 07:07 AM

My 6 cylinder RAV 4 has factory tow package and tows my 16' FD over the Tetons and Cascades and through the Rockies and up and down the Ozarks. It has a,3,500# tow rating, and although I would love a 5,000# rated rig, this is paid for and takes me on roads I have no business being on. I have had a few times I almost got stuck, but brush under the wheels and a shovel and determination so far have won every time.
You will find you are tail heavy if you don't pay attention. I travel with a full freshwater tank (extra tail weight) but I keep at least 7 gallons of drinking water crowded on the shower floor and it really helps to balance the weight. I also keep any heavy food stuffs in the cubby below the fridge and that helps, too. Watch your mirrors carefully as you go downhill and be very aware of fishtailing until you have traveled with it.
Susan and Sunshine (a rare purebred brown dog)

#5 BlueVioletGal

BlueVioletGal
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:47 PM

Thanks for the info! I have visited a mechanic who ruled out my old Buick... so I'm learning what I will need from everyone I talk to and I'm prepared to buy used, an SUV is my preference.

#6 NASA42 B

NASA42 B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 513 posts
  • Local time: 01:59 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty 17 Deluxe
  • Interests:Family, Reading, RVing, History, some community service, and my rescue cat named "Alley" at home...
  • Trailer Name:NASA42 - B

Posted 02 June 2018 - 04:48 AM

BlueVioletGal.....

Welcome to the Casita clan!  A used 2015, 16, & 17 V6 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV will have a 5000 lb tow rating, though you'll have to add a hitch receiver and electric brake controller.  I am using a 2016 version to tow my 17' Liberty with great satisfaction (25,000+ trouble-free towing miles and coast to coast so far).  If you can find a Hyundai-certified one at a dealer you'll get the remaining balance of the 100,000-mile warranty on engine and driveline.

Frank :rolleyes:

Edited by NASA42 B, 02 June 2018 - 04:49 AM.

#7 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,042 posts
  • Local time: 10:59 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 02 June 2018 - 07:27 PM

Welcome aboard....congrats on retirement.  Lots of great tow vehicles out there....I prefer trucks....a nice used 1/2 ton would be ideal.  Good luck...safe travels. 

#8 BlueVioletGal

BlueVioletGal
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 01:07 PM

I bought a 4-Runner limited- v8 with towing package. Got my Casita inspected and Im ready to travel... when my basement remodel is done😐. Its coming along and Im thrilled at the progress in the bathroom, laundry and family rooms. Now I need to move everything piled to the ceiling in the unfinished half to finish that. But Retirement is a sweet time to get jobs done!

I have one question/problem- when trying to roll my awning back in, it just didnt fit... and one leg got mangled and broke off. Is there a fix anyone knows of? Thanks

#9 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,441 posts
  • Local time: 12:59 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 26 September 2018 - 07:23 AM

You can get replacement parts for the awing via GoWesty or Fiamma's distributor in Florida. You'll need to know the model number to get the part number. If you have the fiamma manual that came with the Casita that will give you a quick answer, other wise find the model number on a tag up inside the awning housing

On not closing is sounds like you might be rolling "something" up in the awing. Roll it back out and look on top to see if there is an unintended object (stick, dead critter, etc) getting rolled up. Also it won't roll up correctly if there is a tear or uneven stretching of the fabric.  

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)