• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dfield

dfield
  • Casita Club Member
  • 182 posts
  • Local time: 06:57 AM

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:38 PM

For years now I've had my eyes open for a small cast iron griddle that would fit on my Weber tabletop grill. Yes, you can just use a small frying pan. But a flat grill gives you a bit more cooking surface and doesn't have a handle to work around if you're cooking meat on the bars as well as veggies on the flat griddle. Well, last night I was shopping at Wal-Mart and, lo and behold, look what I found:

GrillOnStove.jpg

GrillLabel.jpg

It's small enough to fit under the cover of a rectangular Weber tabletop grill, or on a single burner of the propane stove, or in a toaster oven. The cooking surface at the bottom is about 8.5 x 6 inches. It actually seemed to be factory seasoned a bit better than some of the Lodge frying pans I've had. But I'd recommend seasoning it yourself before cooking on it, anyway. 

I don't know if this is a new item or not. I finally found it on the Lodge website, but it was listed under "Baking" rather than "Grills". But it's a very handy sized griddle for any RV.

#2 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 893 posts
  • Local time: 04:57 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:55 PM

We take one of these units with us. We cook most everything on it. I probably use the "flat top" griddle more than anything else. It's nice to have no "shoulder" on it, like with using a frying pan, so you can get your spatula under stuff a lot easier. You'll love having the griddle. They're about the handiest thing to have around to cook on.

https://www.campchef...ater-combo.html

Edited by Euphoria, 09 May 2018 - 12:56 PM.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#3 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,519 posts
  • Local time: 03:57 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:56 PM

I am so glad you bought Lodge. They make the best cast iron in the world. And it's all made in the US.

There's an entire subculture of Dutch Oven enthusiasts in the camping world, and they will all say the same thing. Buy Lodge.  Most of the cast iron cookware out there now is made in China, and I've heard anecdotes of people having a dutch oven split in half!!

Seasoning a new piece of cast iron is........well, it's witchcraft. I can't tell you how many times I tried to get a new cast iron fry pan..never mind a Dutch oven...to get that "season". Yeah, I tried all sorts of things, to include tips from the experts, and it never, never got that patina. Yet my husband, when we first married, took charge of a recalcitrant pan that had NEVER performed well, despite my trying everything to get it to take a season. Within a few weeks, he had it looking like Grama's perfectly seasoned pan,  with a perfectly behaved surface. 

Now maybe part of the problem was operator headspace. Meaning me. And part of it was he uses one pan ONLY for eggs, and the other for everything else.

But there's something else, some skill he possesses that I never will acquire. Which is why he makes all the breakfasts, both in camp and at home.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"No matter how old I am, I'm always going to want a pony for Christmas."

#4 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,519 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:58 PM

By the way, thanks for the tip. I"m looking for one now.

#5 dfield

dfield
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 182 posts
  • Local time: 06:57 AM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:37 AM

I've been using the griddle all week for breakfasts (my Collie is much happier getting bacon leftovers than oatmeal).

My main concern was that the griddle would splatter grease more than a frying pan. But I cut the heat down a little and it splatters less on low heat than the frying pan does on medium. If you're cooking greasy stuff on high heat, than a deep frying pan or "chicken fryer" does cut down on the grease spread on the stove top and surrounding area.

I want to get the pan seasoned a bit more, then I'm going to try baking some Artisan Bread on it. If you haven't tried it, Google "Artisan Bread in five minutes a day." There's a book by that title that's very well written, but you can find the basic recipe online. It makes baking homemade bread very easy. I've been using a cast iron loaf pan and, as long as the pan is well-seasoned, I've never had the bread either stick or scorch. The little griddle should be just the right size for a free standing Artisan loaf. 

#6 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:23 PM

Yum... I can smell it baking already!!

#7 friz

friz
  • Casita Club Member
  • 718 posts
  • Local time: 05:57 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:16' LD

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:39 PM

I have been looking for a griddle that fits over all 3 burners. Will make pancakes easier to make.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cooking, grill, cast iron