#31 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,374 posts
  • Local time: 09:33 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:41 PM

Dutchman

I never thought of that. Good idea, roll it over!

I actually never get on top of the Casita. From my ladder I'm able to reach the middle of the roof from either side. 

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#32 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 04:48 AM

Another article on the topic the title is "9 ways to screw up your RVs paint job"

http://www.doityours...tm_medium=email

Tip #4

4. Go easy on the power buffing

Overzealous buffing will damage your RV’s fiberglass gel coat quickly.

Power buffers will speed up the gel coat restoration process, but if used incorrectly can also damage the finish.

http://www.doityours...-2-simple-ways/

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#33 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,208 posts
  • Local time: 08:33 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:44 PM

Thanks again, clover.   I'll check both articles.  Right now it's despicably hot, despicably too much sun, and I'm despicably too old.  Me, not the Casita. Waiting for a break in the hot weather, and a carrot in front of my nose.

Dutchman

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#34 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,740 posts
  • Local time: 07:33 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:59 PM

Coming late to this topic..what is a 'wrap"? is that the paint job in one of clover's posts? I'm sorry, but that paint job is way too busy for me. But then, I removed all the decals from our egg, and think it looks better that way. On the other hand, I've only had one 'what is that?" looky lou come wanting to see Grus Egg since then. Ah, no matter.

I am waiting for the smoke to blow away and the temps to drop before I go and do anything more to the egg than what I did a few weeks ago..gave her a badly needed bath, using Maguirs car soap. I am wondering, is the gel coat something that is sprayed on at the factory? It's not part of the fiberglass itself? I know nichts nein nada about fiberglass anything, so I'm not sure if oxidation is going to happen if it's not waxed.

Am I risking oxidation by not waxing more often?

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#35 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 06:49 AM

gelcoat can be applied either with a paint brush or sprayed on. 

oxidations is going to happen eventually, however keeping the camper (or boat) stored inside or covered will delay the inevitable. waxing or some sort of protective product sill slow the process. our Casita sits in the hot Texas sun so it got "chalky" much quicker than our friends in Indiana that keep their Casita in a barn.

the "wrap" earlier in this post on the Casita is really ugly (IMHO). I would be interested in one that was not so busy/ugly. however, weighing cost and lack of  longevity it doesn't appear to be a good choice for my wallet. 

there is probably not a long term easy solution to keeping a fiberglass body as shinny as it was coming off the assembly line. I've tried the wax with buffer myself and it was way too much work for me 10 years ago, I even hired a guy from a large marina on Lake Granbury near our home. It took him the better part of the day and it only look good for less than a year. The Zep has lasted 2-3 years for me. I don't find it difficult to strip and re-apply. I've never had the yellowing that has been reported.

my ex-husband has had sailboats for 50 years, all were fiberglass  our boat lived on a covered hydorhoist. we had to clean and wax it at least twice a year to keep it looking nice.

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD