clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,313 posts
  • Local time: 09:46 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 12 May 2018 - 07:42 AM

just curious, mopkat, what cost were you quoted for the clear coat? i like to save money like the next guy, but if it provides low maintenance shine past my lifetime, i might spring for it. also, what maintenance is required after clear coating? annual waxing? something more involved? thanks for any info

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#17 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:44 AM

ed, i had some other "food for thought" ideas you might want to consider. if it were mine (and in about 10 yrs i'll be facing this same issue),

1. you'll need to buff (or have someone else) the old the oxidation off before applying any new product. an automotive buffer is recommended, not a $30 "el cheapo" from home depot or such place. power washing the old oxidation isn't sufficient to remove it & you won't have a clean base to add anything else to

2. if you want to duplicate your original casita look, i'd call casita & ask what gelcoat they originally used (or currently use, as things change). then i'd try to buy the same product (or similar) & apply it. there are several "clear gel coat" products available that might work great. cost is probably more than other products, but if you get 15 years with only an annual or semi annual quality wax job, that might well be worth some additional initial expense. be sure to find out what maintenance is required before applying any coating.

3. if you want to jazz up the exterior, i'd look at some quality paint or wraps.

be sure to let us know what you end up doing & how you like the result. safe travels

Edited by clairemr1, 13 May 2018 - 06:46 AM.

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#18 mopkat

mopkat
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Local time: 10:46 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 17'

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:58 AM

Claire, I haven't gotten any quotes for clear coating. Years ago I worked in the auto body industry and am aware of the labor involved in a paint job and the clear coat is basically a clear paint. If you do all the prep work, as in cleaning and sanding down to bare fiberglass with ascending grit sandpaper, then drive it to a reputable shop, I would venture to guess they'd charge you somewhere in the $500-1K range just to spray it and that would be an economy job. Just a quick search brings up the $300 Maaco paint job that entails tape and shoot (I think that would include taping). Anything more and they'll start tacking on $$$.

This could be done with any color so that's always an option but I was just thinking "original" clear.

• clairemr1 likes this

#19 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:47 AM

Claire, I haven't gotten any quotes for clear coating. Years ago I worked in the auto body industry and am aware of the labor involved in a paint job and the clear coat is basically a clear paint. If you do all the prep work, as in cleaning and sanding down to bare fiberglass with ascending grit sandpaper, then drive it to a reputable shop, I would venture to guess they'd charge you somewhere in the $500-1K range just to spray it and that would be an economy job. Just a quick search brings up the $300 Maaco paint job that entails tape and shoot (I think that would include taping). Anything more and they'll start tacking on $$$.

This could be done with any color so that's always an option but I was just thinking "original" clear.

what is the maintenance required after the clear coating? annual/semi annual waxing or more involved than that?how long does it last? any cons involved, like chipping/cracking/yellowing? i don't mind doing the prep work now, but not sure how i'll feel about that in 10 yrs when mine needs it.

i spoke with "titan wraps" a local company in north dallas today & they'll do a complete wrap on my 13ft PD (it would be more, of course on the 16 or 17ft casitas) for approximately $2200.00. the cons of a wrap is that they only guarantee it for 3 yrs (it may last a lot longer, who knows?) & it can crack/peel. the oxidation has to be completely removed ( by me or by them for more $) for the wrap to adhere to the surface.

i also spoke with a local maaco shop but they want to see the trailer before quoting a price. years ago i had an awesome green paint job on my old beloved ford pick up, think i paid $800 (which was alot then) but i got the upgraded paint. loved loved loved the job they did on it

thanks for any more info you can provide for the clear coating. always good to get as much info as possible!

Edited by clairemr1, 14 May 2018 - 11:52 AM.

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#20 mopkat

mopkat
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Local time: 10:46 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 17'

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:37 PM

It would require the same maintenance as automobile paint. Waxing once or twice a year, depending on the wax.

As I stated before, Nu-Finish has been my wax, maybe I should say polish since there is no "wax" in it, of choice since the '80's and holds up very good. My truck, a 2007, gets an annual coat and I can't believe how good it shines to be 11 years old. My truck is a medium gray and is easy to tell when it should be done. The white of the Casita may not be as easy but shouldn't be that hard, especially if it was done on a schedule. Now it may have a different life span on fiberglass. I would think weather and sun would also play a large role in life span. I have a shed my truck lives under while not at work or out and about.

Like I said in the beginning, this is what I am trying in order to keep from doing something more costly. Just my 2 cents but if i had a Casita that still had it's gel coat I'd be doing what I could to keep it that way.

#21 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 02:49 PM

thanks, mopkat. i spoke with victor at casita just now. he only recommended using a rubbing compound & buffer to remove all oxidation followed by a good paste wax. they don't do any reapplication of gelcoat on chalky trailers there but he did say it would be "very expensive" if done.

guess when the time comes, i'll use the rubbing compound/buffer to remove all oxidation, followed by several applications of maguire's flagship marine wax or BTS (provided i still have a shine after buffing). the clear coat paint or wrap might work well if i win the lottery before then

Edited by clairemr1, 16 May 2018 - 09:09 AM.

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#22 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,208 posts
  • Local time: 08:46 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:44 PM

Never knew there were so many possibilities.  I had a double power wash done which removed most, but not all, oxidation.  Looks better than it did before.  Appreciate all your input.  

Dutchman

• clairemr1 likes this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#23 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,374 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:53 AM

.Meanwhile, a neighbor in the park prefers Lucas products and now I am more confused.  

Dutchman

Lucas products look like the are best used before the gel coat turns to chalk 

https://lucasoil.com...arine-speed-wax

Ed with the ZEP or Poli Glow you may spend some time applying it in multiple coats (don't let it run) but it won't be near the beating on your shoulders of buffing it out (been there done that) with random orbital polisher

If you can make it to Texas, I have full hookups on our property and I would be happy to help you apply ZEP or poly glow. You can look at my Casita first and make a decision on the results.

I guess I'm still wearing the scarlet letter B ("biased") as was pointed out and lacking in diversity of suggestions.  I've tried a half dozen solutions since I use to "rehab"  well used Casitas for 5 years and helped a friend in the midwest that did the same. There is no easy or permanent solution once you've gone to chalk. Keeping the Casita stored inside or covered is the only way to slow down the process. 

I open to new suggestions without be bludgeoned about my experience which crosses over into fiberglass sailboats that we raced, owned and maintained for 20  years,  kept in the hot Texas sun. I won't even go down the road of replacing aluminum rivets with stainless steel screws seen in fiberglass boats or I might be tried for a capital offense. 

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#24 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,208 posts
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:30 AM

Considering I full time in the desert sun or the summer sun up north, keeping the Casita inside or under cover is not an option.  I have been a yachtsman for many years as well and the saying went that sailboats are meant to be sailed and used hard; they were not meant to be kept tied to a slip in a marina.  I bought my last boat, a Pearson Triton 28, awl gripped.  'Awlsome'  :wub:  

With 90 degrees in the southern New Mexico desert I am about to move up in elevation to search for cooler pastures, perhaps cool enough to apply the many possible wax/no/wax/synthetic/oilbased options.

Thanks for your input, Clover.

Btw, I must admit I was very impressed several years ago seeing the Poly Glow very shiny result on a Casita owned by Barbara and Sue, who I met at Pancho Villa state park and later in Ajo, AZ.   I've been hoping they'd be reading this and telling me how well their perfect shine lasted.

Dutchman

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"

#25 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:28 PM

Ed

I concur with you on using the sail boats "very aggressively". The only luxury our Hobie 33 monohull was given was a hydro hoist getting out of the water so we didn't have a bunch of crud on the bottom to slow us down while racing. We raced PHRF and one design. It was the only monohull that Hobie ever made, it was long, skinny and fast. I raced in several different J-Boat classes and some women's racing such as the Rolex series and Adam's Cup series. Quite a bit of off shore racing as well. I do miss sailing, even though I had a fair number of fiberglass splinters in my knees as foredeck crew and in my bum while "hiking out" as rail meat. 

There was quite a bit more maintenance needed on the boats than my Casita ever demanded. 

Hope you get the desired results on your Casita. 

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#26 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:46 PM

You'd have a lot more maintenance on your Casita as well if you raced it  :lol: . 

Advantage Casita, you don't have to worry about the anchor dragging.

Dutchman 

Edited by Dutchman, 15 May 2018 - 06:48 PM.

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"

#27 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:06 AM

motorhome-racing.jpg

htthttps://www.youtube....h?v=ohkAxbeMxVo

• mopkat likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD

#28 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:19 PM

That video, haha, shows nothing new.  That kind of driving is a daily event on Phoenix freeways at the beginning of rush hour.  In BC time (Before Casita), I traveled in a Toyota van just like the red one in the race. Except mine was blue.  Nifty little camper. Two kayaks on top and lots of gear.  

Thanks for posting the video. Fun if decadent :o ,

Dutchman

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"

#29 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 01:04 PM

1.5 hour to strip old (non-yellow) Zep #3    Spray on Zep floor stripper undiluted, immediately rinse with a water hose (no scrubbing)

2.5 hours to apply multiple coats of the Zep#3 Wet Look. Simply wipe on with a small lint free rag (don't do too much or it'll run) not rubbing, buffing or using an orbital polisher. This is a very low energy/effort 

I've not had the discoloring or yellowing reported by some. It does turn yellow when the stripper is applied, it then just melts off using the hose

Nothing will last forever unless you keep your Casita indoor &/or under cover

Apologies for the orientation of the pictures. I use to know how to correct this iphone hiccup, but I've slept a few times since then

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4332 (600x800).jpg
  • IMG_4334 (800x600).jpg
  • IMG_4335 (800x600).jpg
  • IMG_4336 (800x600).jpg
  • IMG_4341 (800x600).jpg

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD

#30 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:06 PM

HA!  So that's how you do it.  Turn the Casita upside down to do the top and the roof so you don't have to climb on a ladder. And fall off.  Ingenious.   :wow:

Dutchman

• Meadowlark likes this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"