4 replies to this topic

#1 solong

solong
  • Casita Club Member
  • 28 posts
  • Local time: 10:25 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 SD

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:25 PM

I purchased a new TV and plan on upgrading the Brake Controller.  At the 2018 Rally in Bandera a tekonsha 90250 electronic brake control was given as a gift by Casita. I have a SD 2011.

Two questions. 

1 - Does any one have a tekonsha 90250 electronic brake control installed on their TV?

2 - Will the controller fit on the Tongue?

Joe & Pat
Poolville, Texas
2011 SD 17

#2 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,374 posts
  • Local time: 09:25 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:59 AM

I have a tekonsha voyager that has been in 3 tow vehicles. You will need ot mount it inside the truck not outside on the tongue of the trailer. It has to be tied into the braking system of the TV. You will need to adjust it from inside. 

OR maybe I am totally not understanding the "tongue" question

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#3 Jim&Clare

Jim&Clare
  • Casita Club Member
  • 120 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 Bigfoot 17
  • Interests:Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:37 AM

I have a tekonsha voyager that has been in 3 tow vehicles. You will need ot mount it inside the truck not outside on the tongue of the trailer. It has to be tied into the braking system of the TV. You will need to adjust it from inside. 

OR maybe I am totally not understanding the "tongue" question

Clover,

The tekonsha 90250 has to be installed near the trailer tongue as it plugs into the 7 pin umbilical.

(It uses the brake light signal to know when to fire the brakes)

The unit in the tow vehicle just needs 12v then it wirelessly controls the trailer unit (proportional braking)

Only advantage is that no wiring harness is needed in the tow vehicle.

For a Casita installation it looks like a lot of hassle to install it for no benefit. (unless you regularly tow with 2 different vehicles)

Jim

Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Happily running around in a 2002 Bigfoot 17

Where is Jim now?

#4 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,374 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:38 AM

Jim 

Thank you for the education. 

When I got my newest truck, 3 months ago, I contemplated purchasing a new  tekonsha. When I talked to a local "High Dollar" Horse Trailer Sales & Custom company in Stephenville, TX, they told me to hang on to the voyager  I had, that it was simple but one of the most reliable brake controllers available.  Their clientele purchase custom trailers with living quarters  running $100K-150K. 

I pulled it out of the old truck and put it in this newer truck. It has worked fine on 3 Casita trips.

My voyager was used when pulling the Casita, a 4 horse slant load gooseneck trailer and a large boat & trailer. So for us it worked the brakes on multiple trailers.

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#5 flcoxjr

flcoxjr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 204 posts
  • Local time: 10:25 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Spirit Deluxe 17

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:42 PM

The unit in the tow vehicle wirelessly programs the box on the tongue, after that the inside unit displays what is going on, but the box on the tongue does all the proportional braking. In the unlikely event the wireless signal is lost, the box on the tongue will continue to operate the brakes as programmed.