• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,200 posts
  • Local time: 04:42 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:17 PM

Things happen.  My (2003) Horizon awning has bit the dust and I plan to order a new awning.  Deciding between Fiamma and Horizon.  I'm looking for feedback from either one.  Whichever one seems to be more durable.  Appreciate any info.
Thanks,

Dutchman

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#2 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,365 posts
  • Local time: 05:42 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:56 AM

I think they are one in the same, just a different "badge" (logo) Fiamma/Horizon/Dometic

Some folks have indicated Carefree might be a better quality choice and easier to get parts since it is American made. 

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#3 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 499 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:29 AM

I have always been pleased with my factory installed Fiamma. I do like the looks and functionality of the Carefree Awnings, but don't be scared off by sticker shock. I just configured a replacement awning for fun and it appears to have a 2X factor. I have seen them deployed from trailers in pretty windy conditions without issue, so I suspect they are stout!

Toddy

#4 tractors1

tractors1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 424 posts
  • Local time: 03:42 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:ex-LD17, Escape21 now
  • Interests:Scuba diving, old tractors, woodworking

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:17 AM

Carefree does make sturdy awnings. The design also allows use of awning "anti-flap clamps" to secure the awning fabric to horizontal support arms to reduce the noise factor.

https://www.campingw...BCABEgJpzvD_BwE

ex-owner LD17, Escape 21 now
2013 Tacoma V6 4dr 4wd long bed

Need a widget to hold your stuff?

Don't drill holes!
http://www.rvwidgetworks.com

#5 Zimm

Zimm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 65 posts
  • Local time: 06:42 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Spirit Deluxe Bunks

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:32 AM

I was lucky enough to buy a used 2017 Fiamma F45S awning from a member here on the forum.  Their nearly new casita was a casualty of hurricane irma, but the awning didn't get flooded out.  It fit exactly in place of the old one.  Even the 3 screw holes were in the same place.

The newer F45S has a slimmer housing, metal end caps, and the hardware is different- especially the "knuckles" where the legs swing down.

Come visit us:  

http://thehandycamperco.com

#6 Christian Dakoona

Christian Dakoona
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17LD

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:25 AM

You can get a nice crank operated sun awning 8'x8' at Sam's Club or Costco in store for $70.00. Paint the case Krilon white, add two poles to keep it horizontal above your chair & table.

#7 Zenlife

Zenlife
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 11:42 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit/17

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:31 AM

How would you attach that Sams Club awning? Or were you kidding?

#8 Christian Dakoona

Christian Dakoona
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17LD

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:36 PM

I bought one for the house.. Two Shepherd crosses are holding it stretched over the side porch. A cool place under the afternoon sun. I have been looking at fabricating 3 aluminum L brackets glued with 3M 5200, mounted on the street side of the Casita, over the window, as a second 'patio'. The crank alone is as good as a Fiamma crank.

#9 robertplattbell

robertplattbell
  • Casita Club Member
  • 251 posts
  • Local time: 03:42 AM

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:39 PM

I don't know if this helps, but here is my video about how I installed the FIAMMA awning.

It is a few years old now, and still works great.

#10 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,200 posts
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:07 PM

When it comes to mechanical things I am a certified Klutz, so had to have it done.

Jimmy's RV in Deming, NM, installed my new Fiamma a few days ago.  They had to fabricate a couple of parts on the roof which had broken off from the original awning.

For those interested or contemplating replacing an old awning, this is what it cost me:

Fiamma 10'1" awning:   $884.-

Freight from Florida to New Mexico, by truck:  $160.-

Labor:  $190.-

Dutchman

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"

#11 Steve LaBroad

Steve LaBroad

Grand Pooh-bah

• Casita Club Member
  • 637 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita 16 SD
  • Interests:Camping, sailing, woodworking, astronomy.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1262

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:21 AM

Timely posts for me.  I lost my Fiamma just last week on a trip (30 mph gust on a staked-out setup. I had a wind speed sensor deployed).  It's labelled "Horizon ae" (~10' long) but it has Fiamma's dual "shock absorbers" on the side arms so I'm convinced it's a Fiamma product. Bent and cracked the three brackets as they pulled out the rivets into the trailer roof, but pulled out of the two bracing "struts" when the awning case rotated to fly over the roof to the street side.  I'm angling to replace it with the F45s as well.

I think the brackets are salvageable and the struts are still firmly attached to the roof so keeping the new awing in the same manufacturer might minimize the number of new holes required.

Edited by Steve LaBroad, 25 May 2018 - 03:02 AM.

Steve LaBroad (CC#1262)
2003 16' Spirit Deluxe, "Castle Pretentious"
2015 Ford Flex AWD w/Ecoboost

#12 flcoxjr

flcoxjr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 197 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Spirit Deluxe 17

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:37 AM

Timely posts for me.  I lost my Fiamma just last week on a trip (30 mph gust on a staked-out setup. I had a wind speed sensor deployed).  It's labelled "Horizon ae" (~10' long) but it has Fiamma's dual "shock absorbers" on the side arms so I'm convinced it's a Fiamma product. Bent and cracked the three brackets as they pulled out the rivets into the trailer roof, but pulled out of the two bracing "struts" when the awning case rotated to fly over the roof to the street side.  I'm angling to replace it with the F45s as well.

I think the brackets are salvageable and the struts are still firmly attached to the roof so keeping the new awing in the same manufacturer might minimize the number of new holes required.

Can you provide details of how your awning was staked out?

#13 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:59 PM

Steve - OUCH! Bummer.   No matter how you stake it out, a sudden burst of wind....  I had one broken bracket  on top which my repair facility was still able to use.  Part of the reason for a new awning was, perhaps, looks and resale value.  Without the awning but with the ugly attach points my roof would have looked ugly.  The F45s fits  using the attach points of the old awning.  Like you said, nice not to have to drill additional holes.

I seldom if ever stake the posts on the ground.  Prefer to use the litle brackets on the trailer.  I did buy some clamps which I can attach to the fabric, with tie down also on the little brackets.  Helps keep the wind from lifting the sides. Up to a point.

In this southern desert caution is the watch word.  It has started to seriously heat up, mid to high 90's and that means dust devils. Mini tornadoes if  you will, very powerful when they suddenly sweep through the campground.

I just tried the new awning.  Glad to have it.

Dutchman

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"

#14 Steve LaBroad

Steve LaBroad

Grand Pooh-bah

• Casita Club Member
  • 637 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita 16 SD
  • Interests:Camping, sailing, woodworking, astronomy.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1262

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:06 AM

A little more info was requested: I stake a guy line out from the legs at about 45 degrees.  The legs are vertical.  The top of my guy line has an "S" hook that I catch into the knuckle at the top of the leg then I lead the guy line out at about 45 degrees to the side (as mentioned).  Then I snug the line up.  I don't stake the bottom of the legs.  The stakes I use are Coleman stakes that are pretty hefty and have a platic doodad at the end that serves to keep the rope attached to the stake.

I have some REI extendable poles I wedge into the outer rail and inside the case and have a pair of awing de-flappers to stabilize the awning fabric.

In an "emergency takedown" I just loosen the guy lines enough to unhook the lines at the top of the leg and drop the lines down on the ground.  Then, after removing the center rafter I start cranking the awning in. I never anchor the awning to the trailer side.

If I have awning lights up, I've been known to just leave the lights in the track and the legs hanging and crank the awning in enough until the legs are hanging against the side of the trailer.  That means the awning is not quite closed all the way but not exposed enough for a problem.

After the emergency, just crank it back out and all the lines and stakes are in the right spot to reattach the guy lines and snug them up.

That day my awning was all the way out, but no lights attached. One stake was in the grass the other was into the gravel of the site.  The guy line with stakes was still attached to the detached awning. I thought the stakes were well seated.

The group consensus was to tie the outer edge of the awning to the picnic table relocated to the outer rail area.  The theory being if the picnic table blows away I've got other things to worry about!  No other awnings were lost this trip.  Sometimes it seems my purpose in life is to show others what not to do. :(

I was intrigued by a Fiamma-brand plate that slips over the bottom of the leg and gets staked into the ground.  This allows the bottom of the leg to slip out of the plate quickly for those emergency take downs. Resists upward motion, but can slide sideways out from under the plate. I bought a pair to try out on the next awning.  I must have bought the last set.  $22 as I recall.  More stakes than a cowboy picnic! :rofl: I don't mind extra time during set-up and break-down so long as the temporary break-down is relatively smooth/quick.  Might be a bit before I can give a product review.

I've tried those corkscrew anchors that the legs attach to but I found they are too difficult to free the leg from in an emergency.

BTW, the Coleman stakes look like these but with a green top.

Nice video about the awing install!  My 16 footer has rectangular square fiberglass pieces (~1/8 to 3/16 thick, about the size of the bracket bases, 1 per bracket) under the brackets with holes that match the brackets and are riveted to the roof.

Attached Thumbnails

• Awning Foot.JPG
  • Awning Foot2.JPG

Edited by Steve LaBroad, 01 June 2018 - 09:42 AM.

Steve LaBroad (CC#1262)
2003 16' Spirit Deluxe, "Castle Pretentious"
2015 Ford Flex AWD w/Ecoboost

#15 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 08:20 AM

I like that stake plate.  Good info.  

Fiamma, the most expensive clothes drying system in the RV world. But it works, especially when hanging my big bath towel so that it shades the frig.  

I looks so domestic :(  ^_^

Dutchman

towel drying rack.jpg

• Carol Christensen likes this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"