• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 spencers

spencers
  • Casita Club Member
  • 26 posts
  • Local time: 02:00 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Getting into retirement and road trips, weather watching, birding, volunteering, beaches, shelling.
  • Trailer Name:Rosarita
  • Casita Club Directory #:27129

Posted 07 April 2018 - 03:10 PM

Especially of interest to Houston-area and/or TX residents:

After getting sticker shock for a Southern mattress for our 17' SD (about $900 including the shipping), I called Texas Mattress Makers in Houston. Brought my cushions to the downtown location and they cut a template to fit.

Price for the same 8" mattress I would have ordered from Southern (5" foam, 2" memory foam, 1" quilted covering) was $399 plus tax. They had it ready in five business days. We are only about an hour away so I picked up the mattress. No shipping.

We're very happy with the product and the price! Slept like a baby for a week in Big Bend.

#2 The Cozy Egg

The Cozy Egg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 86 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty 17 Deluxe
  • Interests:Play chess, relax fishing, kayaking.
  • Trailer Name:Cozy Pawn

Posted 07 April 2018 - 04:20 PM

Could you give me their number?  Was the mattress you purchased a full /double or queen?  I have a Liberty Deluxe maybe looking for queen size.  Did they give you a price for a queen?  What part of Houston are they located?  Thanks for sharing this info. 

#3 lgboro

lgboro
  • Casita Club Member
  • 32 posts
  • Local time: 03:00 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Liberty Deluxe

Posted 07 April 2018 - 05:00 PM

I went to the Southern Mattress factory and they measured what I wanted.  I wanted the option of using the small dinette during the day (Liberty Deluxe)  so I had them make 5 mattresses for me.  A little more expensive but exactly like the factory set up except comfortable.  I bet they can make whatever you need.  The small mattresses took as much time as the larger one (the double size one) but made my bed exactly like I wanted it.  I would bet the company in Houston would do whatever you want if they make custom mattresses.

Edited by lgboro, 07 April 2018 - 05:02 PM.

#4 Mark Watson

Mark Watson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 555 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 FD 17

Posted 08 April 2018 - 05:42 PM

I see there is a store in Katy Tx. I may have to go see em.

https://www.texasmattressmakers.com/

Mark Watson

Houston,Tx
2008 17' FD

#5 spencers

spencers
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Getting into retirement and road trips, weather watching, birding, volunteering, beaches, shelling.

Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:29 PM

Could you give me their number?  Was the mattress you purchased a full /double or queen?  I have a Liberty Deluxe maybe looking for queen size.  Did they give you a price for a queen?  What part of Houston are they located?  Thanks for sharing this info. 

We have the 17' SD Deluxe, so our mattress was 54" x 77". They custom fit the rounded corners at the back side of the camper so it has the correct curve. We went to the downtown location but they do also have a Katy location. You can get more information from their website.

Call  (713) 341-6252 for the downtown (main) location. Tell them you heard about them from another Casita owner!

#6 spencers

spencers
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:56 PM

By the way, before we put our new mattress in we built a new 3/4" plywood support board to replace the dinette table top. We used instructions from a modification topic on this forum. I've heard that the extra mattress weight can cause the table top to warp.

We leave our double dinette set up as a bed and use the single dinette on the side. I'm putting the unused double table top, support poles and cushions into storage in case we ever sell and a new owner wants the original setup...

#7 LaSteve

LaSteve
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Spirit Deluxe-On Order
  • Interests:Geology, Fly Fishing, Bird Hunting, Duck Hunting, Cooking (especially outside), Wilderness Places, Conservation, Small groups of good friends!

Posted 30 June 2018 - 05:22 PM

Spencers,

I wonder if they still have the template, so that I could just order the mattress and only take a single trip to pick it up (or have it delivered)? Would you happen to have an order number that I could reference in order to ensure they get the correct fit?

Thanks, my weary old back will always be grateful.

Steve

#8 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 848 posts
  • Local time: 12:00 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:41 AM

Sounds like you got a good mattress.  Another option...IKEA.  We bought our mattress several years ago from them for about $200.  The corners just tuck in very nicely...we sleep like babies...without the crying or diapers.  Enjoy your mattress...safe travels.