3 replies to this topic

#1 wolffman

wolffman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 11:34 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Liberty Deluxe

Posted 02 April 2018 - 11:49 AM

Does anybody pull a 17' Casita with a Kia Sorento? We pick up our new Casita in a month and are concerned about a few things. 

1) We had a class III hitch installed but it is mounted under the bumper and the top of the receiver as only 13 1/2" off the ground. On last TV was a Dodge Ram and the top of the receiver was 19" off the ground. Can you use the normal curt hitches with the normal friction type anti sway bar? Do they make those with the 2'',4",6' offsets to raise the Ball up?

2) Our Kia Sorento has the 3.3L V6 and AWD can tow #5,000 according to the owners manual but the maximum tongue weight is still #350. According to what I have read on the forum the tongue weight of our new Casita will probably be over that  #365-#400. So does anybody know where the fresh water tank is located? Is it in front of the axle or behind it? If we add water to the fresh water tank does it increase or decrease the tongue weight? Has anybody mounted that "H" hitch under the Casita and used a cargo carrier in order to add weight to the rear to reduce the tongue weight?

3) On our last Casita back in 2013 we had the Dodge PU and used the Curt anti sway hitch with the two balls on it and the anti sway bar. It had one 2" ball to tow with and than the little bracket off to the side with the smaller ball for the flat hooking the anti sway bar. That worked fine back then but that Dodge PU was a lot bigger then our new 2018 Kia Sorento.

4) Has anybody using a Kia Sorento had any trouble opening the hatchback while still hooked up to the Casita? Does the hatchback clear the tongue jack sufficiently?  Do you have a manual jack or electric?

Any responses would be appreciated.

Bill

#2 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 709 posts
  • Local time: 01:34 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, yoga and meditation.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 02 April 2018 - 12:44 PM

About the only question I can answer is #3 - the freshwater tank is located on the curb side in the back of the trailer behind the axle. At 8.345404 pounds/gallon, a full tank will take some of the weight off of the tongue, but I don't think it is pound for pound. I am sure there is a fancy physics equation in there somewhere. Ha!

I have a Champion 2,300 W generator strapped to a cargo carrier hitched to the back of my Casita. The generator probably weighs around 70lbs. and the cargo carrier 40lbs. It does take some weight off of the tongue, but again probably not pound for pound. I tow with a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac.

Toddy

#3 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,362 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:39 PM

I found this on the Kia website.  The sentence (in bold) seems a little vague to me.  They could mean a hitch and ball which is certainly required for towing. :)  So my question for Kia and you is, what additional equipment is required? 

*Disclaimer
5,000-lb. towing capacity requires All-Wheel Drive (AWD) and V6 engine. Towing requires additional equipment. See Owner’s Manual for towing capacity, additional instructions, and warnings. Always use caution while towing."

Edited by Carol Christensen, 04 April 2018 - 04:42 PM.

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#4 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,351 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:55 AM

Toddy - If you want to get into the fancy physics equation of things there is an equation for this, refered to as "moment arm".   Basic idea can be demonstrated by hanging a one gallon jug of water off your arm next to your shoulder. Ok?  Can do? Now hang the full jug in your hand on your outstretched arm.  Feels different?  Voila, moment arm. Weight x distance.

I used to know about that 50 years ago. Had to do with airplanes.  Can't remember squat now.

Cheers,

Dutchman 

• Hot Toddy likes this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !