5 replies to this topic

#1 Leilik23

Leilik23
  • Casita Club Member
  • 34 posts
  • Local time: 09:45 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 SD 17

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:27 PM

Has anyone on here modified their Calmark cover so that the AC/fan/windows can be open with the cover on? I want to put on the cover to protect the trailer from the sun, but I live in the trailer. So I can either find a way to modify it to where air can still circulate with the cover on, or I can put the cover on every morning and take it off each night. I'm trying to avoid the latter. If anyone has modified their cover or has any suggestions, I'd be glad to hear. 

#2 NASA42 B

NASA42 B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 451 posts
  • Local time: 10:45 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty 17 Deluxe
  • Interests:Family, Reading, RVing, History, some community service, and my rescue cat named "Alley" at home...
  • Trailer Name:NASA42 - B

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:45 PM

Leilik............

Just my opinion, but I think you're taking this protection of the Casita thing WAY too seriously!  We are speaking of one of the most durable RVs out there, all of which have a fantastic reputation for durability. Also, remember that your Casita has a white gelcoat, which reflects sunlight better than the color of the covers.  Besides....you don't want to even think of trying to put a cover on and take it off on a daily basis.  Remember....these things are meant primarily for enjoyment!

A better plan would be to clean and wax your unit well, and then wipe on 2 coats of 303 Aerospace Protectant (following instructions, of course).  For far less cost you'll have a shiny unit that'll shed much dirt and bugs.   Wash it every 2-3 weeks with a basic wash/wax from WalMart...... and repeat the wax process about 3 times a year.  It'll look great, prove durable.....and save you much bother (not to mention expense, too!).

Still hope to meet you somewhere down the road.

Frank  :rolleyes: 

Edited by NASA42 B, 19 March 2018 - 02:46 PM.

• Leilik23 likes this

#3 Leilik23

Leilik23
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 34 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 SD 17

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:59 PM

Thanks Frank. I was thinking about the cleaning/waxing too. I wouldn't mind that. I find cleaning to be somewhat therapeutic anyways. But if there's a way to basically tailor the cover a bit, then it may be easier just to throw it on and keep it on. I already have a brand new Calmark cover that hasn't been opened. And I'm parked in a desert town in Utah, so it's going to be really hot and sunny every day. I guess I could sell the cover ultimately... Just so that I don't have accumulate too much stuff :) 

• NASA42 B likes this

#4 nealreust

nealreust
  • Casita Club Member
  • 144 posts
  • Local time: 08:45 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:08FD17
  • Trailer Name:Bert

Posted 19 March 2018 - 03:55 PM

You might want to consider something like this:  https://www.harborfr...nopy-63054.html

• NASA42 B likes this
Neal & Kaye Reust
Las Cruces, NM
2008 17 FD "Bert" (Eggbert)
2009 Nissan Titan

#5 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 513 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:15 AM

I have had a Calmark cover for five years, so speaking from experience, putting it on and taking it off every day will last at best two days. They are a huge pain in the butt because they are big and heavy. Using a stepladder helps tremendously. We started out with poles made from PVC pipe and those were more work than worth. Also, cutting holes in a $550 cover to expose the AC and Fantastic Fan vent would be rough. The thought of it makes me squeamish.

Sunlight is the hardest element on the finish of your trailer. We have kept ours nice by shielding it with the CalMark cover, but we are weekend campers so it is not that difficult to put it on and take it off when we want to use it. I think Frank has the best advice. I would channel my energies and expenses into keeping a high quality wax applied to it in the spring, mid-summer, and again in the fall and stop worrying about the inevitable. You live in the dessert. Sunlight will be abundant!

Toddy

• NASA42 B likes this

#6 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,321 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:03 AM

i can't imagine struggling with a cover when you're living full time in the casita. my 2013 has been exposed to the elements 24/7. i wash/wax her annually (really should do it more often, but life often gets in the way). does she look brand new? no! do i care? no! the signs of aging are the badge she wears and the reward she gets for providing me a comfortable home for over 4 yrs. when the gelcoat is eventually gone, there are products i'll use to revitalize her and make her all shiney again.

embrace it!

btw, i encourage you to inspect the exterior regularly and replace rivets/snap caps/vent covers as needed. preventing leaks is a priority IMHO

Edited by clairemr1, 20 March 2018 - 07:08 AM.

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host