15 replies to this topic

#1 Leilik23

Leilik23
  • Casita Club Member
  • 32 posts
  • Local time: 09:34 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 SD 17

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:25 PM

Has anyone made any modifications on their Casita so that crumbs, oil, etc. dont fly off the stove and onto the bed sheets to the right when you cook? Any pictures welcome. Or any product links.

#2 flcoxjr

flcoxjr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 173 posts
  • Local time: 11:34 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Spirit Deluxe 17

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:57 PM

When I bought my Casita (17SD), I got the range cover option. The hinge is on the right side of the stove, and when you lift it up in the vertical position it forms a wall between the stove and the bed.

#3 flcoxjr

flcoxjr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 173 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:01 PM

Here is a link to a picture of the range cover in the up position.

https://www.google.c...LN-ho8TIM-R7UM:

#4 madjack

madjack
  • Casita Club Member
  • 123 posts
  • Local time: 10:34 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 FD17
  • Interests:camping, shooting sports, camp cooking, building "stuff" and anything that gets me out doors

About me...20+yrs as a commercial OTR driver, logging over 2million accident free miles...previous to that, 20 yrs in the construction trades...owned a few travel trailers and teardrop campers along with more single and double axle utility trailers than I can count and as such have hauled everything from a nail, a 2x4, vehicles, construction equipment of all kinds all the way up to 100,000# steel beams, chemicals and other heavy haul and haz-mat item(s)
  • Trailer Name:Gator Eggs and Boudin(boo-dan)

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:17 PM

LHC also has a "table" that mounts on the edge of the stove cabinet and sticks(and folds)over the bed..........

b3df8988.kitchen_shelf.jpg

http://littlehousecu....com/store.html

madjack B)

Edited by madjack, 11 March 2018 - 09:23 PM.

Jack and Marlene driving a.......'99 GMC 1500 Sierra SLE ext cab.......max suspension/cooling package..........5.3l V8auto w/200,000 mi and still hummin' along..........

#5 flcoxjr

flcoxjr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:04 AM

LHC also has a "table" that mounts on the edge of the stove cabinet and sticks(and folds)over the bed..........
b3df8988.kitchen_shelf.jpg
 http://littlehousecu....com/store.html
madjack B)

Does it fold up out of the way, or down out of the way?

#6 madjack

madjack
  • Casita Club Member
  • 123 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 FD17
  • Interests:camping, shooting sports, camp cooking, building "stuff" and anything that gets me out doors

About me...20+yrs as a commercial OTR driver, logging over 2million accident free miles...previous to that, 20 yrs in the construction trades...owned a few travel trailers and teardrop campers along with more single and double axle utility trailers than I can count and as such have hauled everything from a nail, a 2x4, vehicles, construction equipment of all kinds all the way up to 100,000# steel beams, chemicals and other heavy haul and haz-mat item(s)
  • Trailer Name:Gator Eggs and Boudin(boo-dan)

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:00 AM

I believe it folds down against the cabinet(pretty sure)...I don't have one, that pic was snagged off of LHC's site.............. B)

Jack and Marlene driving a.......'99 GMC 1500 Sierra SLE ext cab.......max suspension/cooling package..........5.3l V8auto w/200,000 mi and still hummin' along..........

#7 NASA42 B

NASA42 B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 414 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty 17 Deluxe
  • Interests:Family, Reading, RVing, History, some community service, and my rescue cat at home...
  • Trailer Name:NASA42 - B

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:14 PM

flocxjr.....

Have it.  It folds down.

Frank :rolleyes: 

#8 flcoxjr

flcoxjr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:43 PM

flocxjr.....

Have it.  It folds down.

Frank :rolleyes: 

So you couldn’t flip the LHC table up to act as a spatter shield for the bed when cooking.

#9 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,178 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:29 PM

I used to have the original (2003) flip up cover with the little chain holding it upright.  One day the little chain broke and the cover flopped down like the LHC table.  Note that the original hinges allow 180 degree movement.  I bought the whatevertheyarecalled things under the table (sorry, my mind tends to wander and forget) and used the stove cover as a side table.  If you still splatter on the bed perhaps a less agressive cooking style should be considered.  :o                        

See two photos attached.

Dutchman

stove cover 1.jpg

galley mod.jpg

• NASA42 B likes this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#10 Leilik23

Leilik23
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 32 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 SD 17

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:08 PM

Thanks for all the advice. The range cover seems like the best option, but I can't find it on the Casita store site. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Maybe it's a standard size and can be ordered elsewhere. 

#11 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,534 posts
  • Local time: 07:34 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:10 AM

Coming late to this topic...

We installed a 'tub molding' or 'sink molding'. My mental hard drive is full and I can't pull up the right name. It's a plastic strip, fairly triangular in shape, that one glues to the edges of a  sink or tub to keep water in the tub, sink or shower.

We did it primarily to keep the water from running off the sink/range top onto the bed. Yes, because our sink faucet leaks. Normally I keep a bunch of sponges tucked in behind the faucet to prevent it, but still..it happens. Which is why we do virtually all our cooking and dish washing outside, in a plastic dish tub/rack. We installed it from the  wall all the way to the end of the range top. I think I have pictures somewhere  and will post them if I can find them.

But it should work for keeping crumblies from migrating to your bed as well.

As Dutchman noted, the hinges holding the range cover are shoddy. I am sure we will eventually wind up replacing them, and I think when we do we will get Larry's mod.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"No matter how old I am, I'm always going to want a pony for Christmas."

#12 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 896 posts
  • Local time: 08:34 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:05 PM

Totally outside the box in this thread in regard to cooking, but FWIW, we don't do any cooking inside the trailer. We do all our cooking outside. I don't want any cooking odors in the trailer "rat fur" carpeting. To us, it's kinda right up there with smoking in the trailer. (No offense to smokers, I really love a good cigar, but I always smoke them outside, just like where I do my cooking.) I also did away with that stupid worthless fold-up metal stove cover, which I found to be less than useless. If you're right handed, it is constantly in the way and you bump into it all the time. Bye Bye stupid stove cover and also the ridiculously overly large exhaust hood. YMMV

casita 003.JPG

Edited by Euphoria, 14 March 2018 - 06:11 PM.

• Leilik23 likes this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#13 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,534 posts
  • Local time: 07:34 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:20 PM

We're like Euphoria...we don't cook in our Egg, either.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"No matter how old I am, I'm always going to want a pony for Christmas."

#14 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,066 posts
  • Local time: 08:34 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 17 March 2018 - 12:57 PM

Just a FYI note; the Liberty's stovetop is by the bathroom wall and the sink is by the bed.  Also the burners are parallel to the outside wall and the lid opens toward the back.  No reaching across the front burner to reach the rear burner.

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#15 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 456 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:47 PM

We cook the hell out of our Casita and have NEVER had any problems with splatters, stains, or smells. They key is to run the fan on your Vent-A-Hood. On inclement mornings I set my electric-drip coffee maker on the stove and run the fan to exhaust moisture, and then turn it off when the coffee is done percolating. We cook outdoors if the weather is nice, but never let that stop us from preparing a delicious, nutritious home-cooked meal. Lay a dirty towel on the bed to catch splatters if you think your dish is going to make a mess. Towels are easy to wash and hard surfaces easy to wipe down. Don't forget that you are camping so just live it!

Toddy

Edited by Hot Toddy, 17 March 2018 - 01:48 PM.

• Carol Christensen, madjack and Leilik23 like this