• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jakeo25

jakeo25
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 11:37 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom / Spirit
  • Interests:Desert Southwest, cold winters, photography, pinot noir, ambient music

Posted 10 March 2018 - 11:22 PM

Hello all.

I don't use it often but the electric heater function in the AC unit stopped working. A quick look seems like the unit needs to be disassembled from above? If anyone has done this (heater element or thermostat) or has youtube link, much appreciated.

2010 Spirit Deluxe

Best Regards and Aloha,

Jake

#2 CC-John

CC-John

Iconoclast

• Rally Organizer
  • 669 posts
  • Local time: 04:37 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17SD
  • Interests:Classic Fiberglass Boats, Hot Babes, Fine Cigars, & Good Whiskey
  • Trailer Name:No Tell Motel & Cigar Lounge

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:27 AM

Jake,

The heat strip can be accessed from inside the trailer, it's mounted inside the return air duct.. The 2010 models have a troublesome, hypersensitive, overtemp switch that has to be manually reset when it trips..

To access the heat strip. First start by dropping the filter grate, this will expose the mounting screws for the ceiling assembly.. Start the ceiling assy. removal by removing the three phillips head screws in the blue discharge duct, then remove the four phillips head screws that retain the ceiling shroud to the inside retaining plate..

000_0056.jpg

With the shroud out of the way, the heat strip will be visible in the large opening mounted just in front of the evaporator coil.. Reach up and press the reset button on the over temp switch located on the top of the box where the wiring connects to the heating element..

000_0058.jpg

Here's a pic of the heat strip removed to show the location of the overheat switch.. (note: this is a pic of an early model heat strip with the auto-reset overtemp switch)

100_1281.jpg

Contact Little House Customs for a permanent fix.. Larry has the OEM auto-reset switches that Coleman installed prior to 2010..

Hope this helps..

CC-John

"I void warranties"

FGRV #1 1973 Century Resorter 16 - Powered by Chrysler LM318 225HP V-8

BOAT PICS

FGRV #2 1978 Chris*Craft 251 Catalina Express - Powered by PCM 383 Chevy V-8 340HP

BOAT PICS

FGRV #3 2007 Casita 17SD - Powered by Onan CampPower 2500LP

CASITA PICS

#3 Rob and Linda

Rob and Linda
  • Casita Club Member
  • 596 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Airstream 23D
  • Interests:Photography, woodworking, fly fishing, hiking/backpacking, audio, Porsches.
  • Trailer Name:Fortune Cookie

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:36 AM

Hello all.

I don't use it often but the electric heater function in the AC unit stopped working. A quick look seems like the unit needs to be disassembled from above? If anyone has done this (heater element or thermostat) or has youtube link, much appreciated.

2010 Spirit Deluxe

OK, I'll bet lunch-for-a-month that your problem is with the over-temp switch.  Step-by-step Instructions for a 'fix' is here: https://www.casitafo...s#comment-52314

You can do it, and no work from the roof! 

Rob & Linda, Hurst, Texas
Our ex-Casita Photos
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd300/albums/72157626742329244

Airstream Photos - https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd300/albums/72157663633667345
2014 Airstream 23D International Serenity
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost Max Tow

#4 Dennis The Menace

Dennis The Menace
  • Casita Club Member
  • 286 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' liberty
  • Interests:USMC,Traveling,people,
    light houses,
    fishing,sport shooting
    ,visiting old forts,History,
    motorcycles,eating,camping.
  • Trailer Name:it is what it is

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:27 PM

Hey CC-John ,Mine is an oct 2011 model do u know if that year has  a reset button or an auto reset.  ?

Dennis

Dennis and Bess
RV: 2011 17' Casita Liberty  "it is what it is "
TV: 2005 Grey Chevolet Tahoe 5.3 V8 replaced with 2016 cherry red, RAM Bighorn 5.7 V8 CC pickup.
Curt class IV hitch, Curt Anti sway bar,T-P3 brake controller, Cobra 29 CB & weather radio.

"Once in awhile it really hits people that they don't have to experience the world

in the way they have been told to.  -Alan Keightley

#5 Mark Watson

Mark Watson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 559 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 FD 17

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:55 PM

It's been 5 or 6 years since I replaced the manual reset over temperature sensor in my 2008 with an auto reset over temp sensor. I don't remember having to remove the 3 phillips head screws in the blue discharge duct. I do remember having to remove  very strong and sticky grey electrical tape from inside the blue discharge duct. It seems like the tape was acting as a seal to ensure the cold air would be directed out of the discharge duct. 

Mark Watson

Houston,Tx
2008 17' FD

#6 lgboro

lgboro
  • Casita Club Member
  • 32 posts
  • Local time: 05:37 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Liberty Deluxe

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:07 PM

Had to remove and replace my electric heater to install a digital thermostat and it was fairly simple and as described above.