• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 513 posts
  • Local time: 10:10 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:27 AM

I grew weary of disconnecting and reconnecting a propane tank from the front of my Casita every time I wanted to use my grill or fire pit, so I tapped into the LP splitter under the trailer and installed a quick connect. Now I can connect to the appliance of my choice via a 12' connection hose. The 3' hose connects to the splitter and the 12' between the appliance and the quick connect on the trailer. I haven't quite figured out how to permanently mount the quick connect to the underside of my trailer. I do not want to drill into the frame if I can help it, but I am looking for something more substantial than zip ties. For now it is tucked in a channel along the frame until a solution comes to me. Any ideas from the experts are greatly appreciated.

Toddy

IMG_1602.JPG

IMG_1605.JPG

IMG_1607.JPG

IMG_1615.JPG

IMG_1616.JPG

IMG_1617.JPG

Edited by Hot Toddy, 25 February 2018 - 11:59 AM.

#2 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 901 posts
  • Local time: 08:10 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:30 AM

Very nice Toddy.....good job.  Personally.....I would use a heavy zip tie......I wouldn't drill into frame either.  I have used heavy zips to hold a pvc pipe on the back bumper for our sewer hose for years.......the ties have gone thousand of mile without issue.  They have been replaced once in 5 years.  Good luck. 

• clairemr1 and windowman like this

#3 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 513 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 06:03 PM

I think your advice is the winner Jerrybob. I can’t imagine making this more complicated than it needs to be. I’m going to secure the hose to the tongue with a couple of zip ties and tuck the connector end into the front channel of the frame during tow. Not to mention how easy and inexpensive it will be to maintain. I do not want the connection near the doorstop to the trailer which creates a potential trip hazard from the hose. I appreciate your great idea!

Toddy
  • Jerrybob likes this

#4 Zimm

Zimm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 90 posts
  • Local time: 11:10 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Spirit Deluxe Bunks

Posted 27 November 2018 - 12:39 PM

I'm looking to this exact "mod".  What model hoses did you use?  Is it a standard 3/8" flare for the casita fitting?  What kind of fittings did you put on the BBQ's?

I might add a shut off valve just behind the quick disconnect for added insurance.

Come visit us:  

http://thehandycamperco.com

#5 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 513 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:26 AM

Hey Zimm! So sorry for the delayed response, but I have not been on line much lately. I believe they are 3/8" flare. Once you pull the cap off the splitter underneath the trailer it will become obvious what size you need. I remember 1/4" being too small and 1/2" being too big, so I'd bet your Casita that 3/8" is the size you will need. Ha!

I thought about a shut-off valve, but figured I could always shut off supply at the tank if I had an issue. I can always add one if I see that I am going through a ton of propane with little use of the grill or the fire pit. I really LOVE my fire pit, as I can have a fire for a few minutes each night before heading inside to bed without the labor of hauling wood and build a fire. Best of luck!

Toddy

#6 Zimm

Zimm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 90 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Spirit Deluxe Bunks

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:14 AM

Thanks.  I read on here that they're 3/8" too.  What fire pit do you use?  I think we're going to do one if I can fit it (I don't have a pick up truck).  Not dealing with firewood sure would be nice for a few marshmallows with the kids.

Come visit us:  

http://thehandycamperco.com

#7 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 513 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:28 AM

Mine is an Outland Firebowl 870. I really like it as it is very compact and comes with a lid and a carrying handle. It puts off plenty of heat and ambiance on low, so I calculated that I can get about 20 hours of flame on a tank of propane. It sure beats the expense and labor of hauling firewood and no matter where you sit, you are never in the snake trail. We camped with some Casita folks last winter and he had a different brand fire pit but was able to place it in the center of his clam, and with adequate ventilation, we stayed toasty warm sitting around that heat source on low. Nothing beats a true roaring campfire, but my Outland Firebowl has sure spoiled me.

Toddy

#8 Smokymtgirl03

Smokymtgirl03
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 Spirit Deluxe 17ft
  • Interests:Camping,Fly Fishing, Hiking, Paddling (Canoe and Kayak),Pretty much anything outside...
  • Trailer Name:Raggedy Annie

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:22 AM

You could also use hose clamps.  I've used those for mounting a 6 inch square porch column cover (holds my tri fold ladder) below the bumper of a different camper, and they lasted for the 5 years I had that camper.  I did have to touch up the white paint from time to time. I have the same Smoky Hollow grill.  I soak wood chips and put them in the freezer,and they are ready to go in the smoker tray instantly.  I kept forgetting to let them soak, or I'd get a "burning" desire for a smoky flavor, and didn't want to wait for them to soak.  I love the gas line set up.  It would be easier that having a 4.5 lb tank to carry around.