17 replies to this topic

#1 MCKee

MCKee
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 06:58 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Looking

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:09 PM

Hello everyone.  Michael here, in Southwest Florida.  I've been interested in Casitas for some time.  One just popped up locally, a 198613' model w/bath.  It's in decent shape but the owner doesn't know if any of the propane items are working; cooktop, fridge (Dometic), etc.  All equipment looks to be original (wheels and tires are new).  Asking price is $7,000.00, or just a bit over cost when new.  I realize a Casita holds its value, but is this crazy, or are the older little ones so rare that this is reasonable?  It's by no means pristine. 

#2 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 584 posts
  • Local time: 05:58 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:39 AM

Good morning Michael! I would ask myself, are you buying it because it is rare, or are you buying it because it fits into your camping lifestyle. I know a couple of people who own 13' Patriots and love them enough to full-time in them. I would direct you to BexCatHerder on YouTube - https://www.youtube....eUxg3djrHoKSPng. She owns a 1985 Patriot and travels all over the West with it. If you start with her first V-blog you can see some of the challenges she went through from purchase to transitioning from an apartment to full-timing in her Casita. She subsequent videos discuss installing a composting toilet and repairing a cracked frame. Most of her later stuff covers people and places, but her earlier work is mostly about her trailer. I think you would enjoy some if not all of her videos. 

Sight unseen, I am going to guess that the appliances work, with maybe the exception of the refrigerator. That would probably be my biggest concern. Rubber propane hoses can be replaced pretty easily, but I suspect most lines are copper. The other thing you might want to do is hook the thing up to city water and check for leaks, but pressurizing the system. I have no idea what kind of plumbing they used back then, but water leaks will be a MAJOR issue that will need to be repaired immediately.

As for the toilet, tanks, refrigerator, etc., those can all be replaced with updated technology, Don't let new tires bamboozle you. I would be looking at structural things like frame, body, leaks from the outside, plumbing leaks, etc. If that still is all in good shape, then I think the trailer is worth serious consideration. IF it is going to be a major PIA, then you would be much better served spending more money on a bigger and newer model and falling in love all over again.

Best of luck and be sure to keep us posted on what you decide to do!

Toddy

BTW, should you wish to reach out to Bex, I suggest you do it through YouTube. She goes by RebbecaSF on the Casita Club and Forum, but I am not sure how often she frequents these sites anymore. 

#3 MCKee

MCKee
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 06:25 AM

Thanks for the reply, and good morning to you!

I've seen quite a few of Bex's videos.  I believe the first one I watched, some time ago, was the one about her frame.  I'll have to check it out again.  The frame on this one looks good.  As for the tires/wheels, nah, I figured they needed them since the trailer had been sitting for 5 years and no telling how old they may have been then.  They towed it 100 miles to its current location.

Appreciate the suggestion to pressurize the water system!  And yes, I considered all the components that could be updated. What first attracted me to this one is its proximity and the fact that it's the 13' model.  I have an '01 Explorer (268K miles) and have been looking at lightweight trailers. My lady and I plan to do short trips for a couple years before heading on an extended journey.  While in no rush to make a purchase, there would be time to personalize this one...

Guess anything's worth whatever one is willing to pay for it, isn't it?  We'll see..

#4 nealreust

nealreust
  • Casita Club Member
  • 151 posts
  • Local time: 04:58 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:08FD17
  • Trailer Name:Bert

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:30 AM

Just as a point of interest, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index  $7,000 in the year 1986 is equivalent in purchasing power to $15,634.14 in 2017.

​That's about the price of a new Patriot....if they were still making them. 

Neal & Kaye Reust
Las Cruces, NM
2008 17 FD "Bert" (Eggbert)
2009 Nissan Titan

#5 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,433 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:50 AM

neal is correct if all appliances/systems are working. are you a fixer-upper? how much time/money are you willing to devote to making it road worthy? has it had leaks that went undetected/unrepaired and now it's hiding mold? the axle is way beyond it's useful life and frame issues might be a major issue. bottom line, you are contemplating buying a 32 yr old trailer of unknown history. i would make the owner hook up/demonstrate all systems for you before purchase. take a mechanic if possible to help you evaluate it's condition. if you specifically want a 13ft trailer, scamp still makes them and they remain very popular in the north. you might find a much nicer one by considering the scamp over a very old casita. ultimately, of course, you're the one who will make the decision on whether this is worth it to you or whether you would be better served spending more for a newer/better condition trailer. best of luck with whatever you decide.....................

Edited by clairemr1, 24 February 2018 - 07:52 AM.

• MCKee likes this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#6 MCKee

MCKee
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:23 AM

Thanks, Neal, thanks, Claire.  You've both made good points.  My immediate attraction to the 32 yr. 13' was its proximity.  If I'm getting this serious I think I may need to keep my eyes peeled.  The one (16 or 17') that sold, recently, in VA, had a lot going for it.  I'm free to travel when the right one comes along.  I also want to look at Bex's frame video.  I'm not sure this one hasn't been replaced.  Not sure about the axle though.

• clairemr1 likes this

#7 MCKee

MCKee
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:30 AM

Just checked Bex's frame video.  Appears her '85 Patriot had a rectangular tube frame.  This '86 has one of channel, stacked near the wheel well.  Seemed odd, to me (the stacking), but I've seen home-built trailers with this setup at the tongue.  Maybe I can take a foto on Monday.  Really appreciate all the input from this group

#8 Tom Haberski

Tom Haberski
  • Casita Club Member
  • 172 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1996 16' LD

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:46 AM

That price is real high, given its age.  Too high for my wallet, and bound to have surprises that require work.

• MCKee likes this

#9 Rob and Linda

Rob and Linda
  • Casita Club Member
  • 608 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Airstream 23D
  • Interests:Photography, woodworking, fly fishing, hiking/backpacking, audio, Porsches.
  • Trailer Name:Fortune Cookie

Posted 24 February 2018 - 09:51 AM

Thanks, Neal, thanks, Claire.  You've both made good points.  My immediate attraction to the 32 yr. 13' was its proximity.  If I'm getting this serious I think I may need to keep my eyes peeled.  The one (16 or 17') that sold, recently, in VA, had a lot going for it.  I'm free to travel when the right one comes along.  I also want to look at Bex's frame video.  I'm not sure this one hasn't been replaced.  Not sure about the axle though.

MCKee...

Yes, there have been good points presented here (pay special attention to Claire; she lives in one of these little jewels). 

My take is that it's just too old to be of any real interest, and when you state that "It's by no means pristine," my mind automatically goes into its "no thanks" mode.  We have no idea how much of a "handyman" you are or what experience you have had with travel trailers, but if the short answers are "not very" and "not much," I'd strongly recommend you move on.  

An old Casita is just that: an old Casita... it could be an absolute gem, with shiny gel coat and a beautiful interior... but it could also be a junker, hiding gobs of mold and a long list of other "issues" and just waiting to gobble up substantial amounts of your money and time.  All of that can surely take ALL of the fun out of Casita ownership.  From what you've told us, the $7,000 asking price is highway robbery.

Rob

Edited by Rob and Linda, 24 February 2018 - 09:52 AM.

• Meadowlark, NASA42 B and clairemr1 like this

Rob & Linda, Hurst, Texas
Our ex-Casita Photos
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd300/albums/72157626742329244

Airstream Photos - https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd300/albums/72157663633667345
2014 Airstream 23D International Serenity
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost Max Tow

#10 MCKee

MCKee
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 01:48 PM

Wow, thank-you Rob.  Was all that magnificent woodworking on your Casita yours?  Beautiful and practical.  I have rudimentary woodworking skills, having helped restore a mahogany Chris Craft many years ago, but nothing like you've demonstrated.  Recently "retired", with 3 motorcycles that have patiently waited for my attention, my lady reminds me that I may not need a "project" or rather, another project.  Also, since we plan to travel together, a 16' or 17' model may be more appropriate.  Perhaps it's a good thing that this 13' seems way overpriced...therefore less tempting!

#11 Rob and Linda

Rob and Linda
  • Casita Club Member
  • 608 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Airstream 23D
  • Interests:Photography, woodworking, fly fishing, hiking/backpacking, audio, Porsches.
  • Trailer Name:Fortune Cookie

Posted 24 February 2018 - 02:19 PM

Wow, thank-you Rob.  Was all that magnificent woodworking on your Casita yours?  Beautiful and practical.  I have rudimentary woodworking skills, having helped restore a mahogany Chris Craft many years ago, but nothing like you've demonstrated.  Recently "retired", with 3 motorcycles that have patiently waited for my attention, my lady reminds me that I may not need a "project" or rather, another project.  Also, since we plan to travel together, a 16' or 17' model may be more appropriate.  Perhaps it's a good thing that this 13' seems way overpriced...therefore less tempting!

Thank you so very much, MCKee, for your kind compliments.  Yes, all that "stuff" that was done to "Dinky" was done by me... no wonder I'm tired.  We like to tell people that "Dinky" is one of the best known Casitas around... the FLICKR album of photos has had nearly 20,000 views!

I think you're making a good decision regarding the thirteen-er...  You'll fall in love again!

All the best,

Rob

Rob & Linda, Hurst, Texas
Our ex-Casita Photos
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd300/albums/72157626742329244

Airstream Photos - https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd300/albums/72157663633667345
2014 Airstream 23D International Serenity
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost Max Tow

#12 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,935 posts
  • Local time: 03:58 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:38 PM

I can tell you MCKee that Our Rob and Linda are very talented. And modest...he's a tremendously talented woodworker and Miss Linda made my blackout curtains that make my camper nice and dark at night. .

I was unaware that Casita may not be making 13' anymore. I might be wrong, but since I have and prefer a 17' I've not really paid attention to that possibility.

I feel Claire has made a very important point-if you're insisting on a 13', Scamp is still making them. The Scampers I know are just as devoted to their campers as we Casitans are to our eggs, and for good reason. They're good rigs. You can still be a member of this club, no matter what you're towing.

IMHO, a 32 year old camper is like a 32 year old horse..he might look serviceable on the outside but inside there are going to be issues. I'd steer clear. But, as I say, it's merely my opinion.

• NASA42 B and clairemr1 like this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#13 Mark Watson

Mark Watson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 582 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 FD 17

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:50 PM

32 year old trailer? I'd pay nothing for it. In other words, that old of a trailer I just wouldn't buy.... too many things to fix and go wrong.
Just my opinion.

Mark Watson

Houston,Tx
2008 17' FD

#14 nealreust

nealreust
  • Casita Club Member
  • 151 posts
  • Local time: 04:58 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:08FD17
  • Trailer Name:Bert

Posted 25 February 2018 - 03:39 PM

Michael

There is a 1999 16' advertised on the other  Casita forum, $7500, Greenville, SC.

New add today,

Edited by nealreust, 25 February 2018 - 03:40 PM.

Neal & Kaye Reust
Las Cruces, NM
2008 17 FD "Bert" (Eggbert)
2009 Nissan Titan

#15 MCKee

MCKee
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:00 PM

Would that be www.casitaforum.com , the Casita Travel Trailer Forum?  I'm awaiting my confirmation email from them.  Thanks for the tip.