6 replies to this topic

#1 K. Larry

K. Larry
  • Casita Club Member
  • 19 posts
  • Local time: 01:59 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:None

Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:16 PM

My name is Larry and my bride of 43 years is Barbara.  She is retired, I am semi-retired.  We live in the "upper East Side of Texas".  Specifically Longview, between Dallas and Shreveport.  We are seriously considering a 17' Casita Spirit, have visited the factory/showroom and watched umpteen you tubes.  We will initially use the unit as a weekender and later perhaps a many weeks traveller.  This will be our first (and hopefully) our last travel trailer.  Will probably have many questions going forward and will appreciate your patience.

#2 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 722 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, yoga and meditation.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:16 AM

So glad to have you aboard Larry and Barbara. We bought our Spirit Deluxe in 2013 and have really grown to love her. She has definitely brought us much joy over the years. I have way too much sweat equity built up through modifications and upgrades, so I wouldn't trade her now, but in hindsight I might have considered a Liberty Deluxe due to its versatility in floor/bed configurations. I suspect the need to crawl over each other at night to use the bathroom will exponentially increase as we age. I guess when that gets to be a big enough PITA, we can always convert the double bed to a single and then move the dinette table in front of that, and then convert the dinette into a second single bed. But for now, we like to snuggle.

This is a great group of folks from whom I have received great counsel and advice over the years. Be sure to use us as a resource while keeping in mind, the best thing about advice is that it's free and you don't have to take it! ;-)

Toddy

• NASA42 B likes this

#3 K. Larry

K. Larry
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:38 AM

Thanks Toddy for the recommendation on the Liberty. My wife and I started looking real closely last night at the Liberty and it does afford some neat flexibility. 👍

#4 NASA42 B

NASA42 B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 542 posts
  • Local time: 02:59 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' now sold :(
  • Interests:Family, Reading, RVing, History, some community service, and my rescue cat named "Alley" at home...
  • Trailer Name:NASA42 - B

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:52 AM

K. Larry....

Welcome.....and picking up where Toddy left off re: the 17' Liberty model...... 

---->My wife and I really enjoyed our 07 Spirit.  Although a widower, I'm still RVing, and recently sold the 07 and bought a used 2016 Liberty.  As it stands, I can let the back table up and remove the forward one completely, take out the "seatback" cushions...., add 4 pillows.....and take assorted (individual) grandchildren, brothers, and friends on jaunts without complication.  Short and long jaunts!

---->I've found all can cope easily with 24" wide single beds..

Understand.....ANY Casita is far better than no Casita.....but given a choice.....

Frank :rolleyes: 

• Hot Toddy likes this

#5 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,272 posts
  • Local time: 11:59 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:55 PM

Welcome.......you can't/won't go wrong with a Casita.  We love ours.....had many trailers overs the years.....by far.....Casita is the best.   Hope you find what you're looking for........safe travels.

#6 The Cozy Egg

The Cozy Egg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 87 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty 17 Deluxe
  • Interests:Play chess, relax fishing, kayaking.
  • Trailer Name:Cozy Pawn

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:48 AM

It was a toss-up between the Liberty and Spirit for wife and I.  We went with the Liberty because of the bed configuration flexibility.   We leave the bed down all the time in the queen configuration.  Sleeping with our feet extended on the bench sides and head at the rear of Casita allows us the ability to get out of bed without having to climb over each other. I made a smaller table top to mount on the post that's between the bench seats for meals.  Most of the time like eating outside.

That was our deciding factor.  The only additions to Casita was LED lights, and awning . We camped mostly in State Parks or parks that have electrical.

Like others having a Casita is better than Not. 

Hope this information is helpful.

#7 K. Larry

K. Larry
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:04 AM

It was a toss-up between the Liberty and Spirit for wife and I.  We went with the Liberty because of the bed configuration flexibility.   We leave the bed down all the time in the queen configuration.  Sleeping with our feet extended on the bench sides and head at the rear of Casita allows us the ability to get out of bed without having to climb over each other. I made a smaller table top to mount on the post that's between the bench seats for meals.  Most of the time like eating outside.

That was our deciding factor.  The only additions to Casita was LED lights, and awning . We camped mostly in State Parks or parks that have electrical.

Like others having a Casita is better than Not. 

Hope this information is helpful.

That is helpful. I am guessing that many of you that had no previous experience with Casitas experimented for the configurations after you took possession. I am thinking that will be our approach. Having said that, the Liberty does seem to have flexibility. Thanks.
  • NASA42 B likes this