• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 L.K. Graham

L.K. Graham
  • Casita Club Member
  • 44 posts
  • Local time: 06:12 AM

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:52 PM

I thought the black water pipe guard by Orbital Machine Works looked like a good idea, but when I tried to order one, they advised they are no longer available. It seemed like cheap insurance against expensive road damage. Has anyone experienced damage to the drain pipes, or is this not worth worrying about?  

• clairemr1 likes this

#2 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,137 posts
  • Local time: 07:12 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:29 PM

OMW will be producing them later this summer. Check with us in a few weeks.............

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#3 brsedwebt

brsedwebt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 65 posts
  • Local time: 08:12 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:ID 17
  • Interests:camping, travel, ghost towns, light houses, covered bridges, kayaking, boating, antiques, old advertising...
  • Trailer Name:Cozy-Casa

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:54 PM

I can tell you from personal experience - get one. 

• clairemr1 likes this

Cozy-Casa    Visualize whirled peas

#4 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 798 posts
  • Local time: 05:12 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Kayaking, hunting, woodworker, horse drawn carriage historian and restoration, maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:39 PM

We have travelled thousands and thousands of miles over the years.....never felt the need to have a guard on the pipes.......if you do a lot of off roading....maybe a good idea.......otherwise.....I wouldn't worry about it.   Safe travels. 

#5 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 407 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:48 AM

I was going to give the same advice as Jerrybob. I have only been "off-roading" twice with our trailer and although the road shook my teeth loose, there was nothing to hit. I believe the one from OMW is made from hard plastic so should you hit something big enough or hard enough, that too will succumb to the road hazard.

Toddy

#6 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,137 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:47 AM

several owners, myself included, have inadvertently hit something laying in the middle of an otherwise perfectly good highway (truck tire remnants, etc). i'd much rather hit debris with the sewer guard on than hit it with my precious casita plumbing.one perfectly timed hit could wipe out the casita plumbing and delay/ruin an otherwise great trip. it's one of the mods i intend to install when we get back to manufacturing the guards, as i feel it is one of the things that protects my trailer, a highly valued addition, IMHO....

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#7 NASA42 B

NASA42 B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 381 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty 17 Deluxe
  • Interests:Family, Reading, RVing, History, some community service..
  • Trailer Name:NASA42 - B

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:06 AM

Toddy.....

I was under the impression that OMW had replaced the plastic version with a steel model about 2 years back. 

Frank :rolleyes:

#8 brsedwebt

brsedwebt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 65 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:ID 17
  • Interests:camping, travel, ghost towns, light houses, covered bridges, kayaking, boating, antiques, old advertising...
  • Trailer Name:Cozy-Casa

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:29 PM

Yes it is now metal - very stout. I have 2 plastic ones - one for a spare. Jim really helped me out getting these (Thanks again Jim).  I wanted plastic because I did not have to drill to mount it. I look at them as sacrificial and I did hit a block of wood on the interstate while it was on - no damage to the protector and the black pipe system but I did loose the unprotected gray outlet pipe. I called Larry and he quickly shipped me out the fast gray parts that were damaged. It was a quick fix with Larry sending the parts. I tried to piece it together with parts from a hardware store but found out it was not that simple. 

• clairemr1 likes this

Cozy-Casa    Visualize whirled peas

#9 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 798 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Kayaking, hunting, woodworker, horse drawn carriage historian and restoration, maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:18 AM

If it brings you a sense of comfort or security.....I say go for it.   Like I said.......I have pulled our Casita thousands of miles and other trailers even further.......never felt the need for this protection.  You can over worry about many things......this is one I choose not to.  Whatever you decide.......have fun and safe travels.    

#10 campnagle

campnagle
  • Casita Club Member
  • 700 posts
  • Interests:RV-ing, Treasure hunting,Nature walking,Hiking,Biking, doing projects on RV

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:21 AM

I did the skid plate thing a few years ago out of metal.

I put a goat sticker on it.

plumbing skid plate 003 (Small).JPG post-4615-0-45842600-1518866372_thumb.jp

• clairemr1 likes this

Camp Nagle
07 17' LD "MONSOON"
14 Silverado LT 4WD 5.3 V8
GREAT STATE OF ARIZONA