7 replies to this topic

#1 thetravelkids

thetravelkids
  • Casita Club Member
  • 322 posts
  • Local time: 09:13 AM
  • Casita Club Directory #:2583

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:19 PM

My Bride and I will be camped at Lewisville Lake Campground this weekend while visiting the grandkids.

We will be heading home on Tuesday morning, Feb 13th and are trying to decide if taking the George Bush Turnpike south to US-80 is easier / less traffic then taking I-35E to I-635 to US-80, then east towards home.

Suggestions?? Comments? Concerns?

YES! We have a Texas toll sticker plastered to our windshield!

Bob & Pat
2012 Evergreen Element ET26SLR - "Ms Ellie"
2007 Casita 17' SD, gone but not forgotten
2012 Ford Expedition Limited
Visit us at www.katrinacasita.wordpress.com

#2 Dann and Karan

Dann and Karan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 240 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe- 16'

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:21 PM

Bob and Pat,

I would take the Turnpike since you have a toll tag.  I-635 has construction on it and is loaded with traffic in the morning.

We almost go run over on day when we were on I-635 so we don't use it.

Dann and Karan

2007FD 16'" Snowball"

2005 Chevy Trailblazer.

• thetravelkids likes this

#3 Mark Watson

Mark Watson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 569 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 FD 17

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:13 AM

Take tollway.

Mark Watson

Houston,Tx
2008 17' FD

#4 thetravelkids

thetravelkids
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 322 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:17 PM

Yep, we’re going to take the tollway!

Bob & Pat

#5 kpiercec8

kpiercec8
  • Casita Club Member
  • 24 posts
  • Local time: 10:13 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit Deluxe

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:51 PM

I live in Fairview just north of Dallas and LBJ freeway. I understand your reluctance to take LBJ (I635) through Dallas but it really depends upon what time of day you're heading east. If we are traveling south of Dallas on I45 or I35 I regularly tow the Casita on 635 to get around town. I just don't do it at rush hour. After 9am things get freed up enough to get around. We always listen to traffic reports and have a google map up on the phone to see the traffic flow on it. Taking Bush is certainly the long way around from my experience. YMMV
KP

Kim & Mary Pierce

#6 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 506 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:27 AM

Since we tow at 60 mph we have decided that the shortest distance between two points is the most advantageous route for us. Fastest routes tend to involve higher speed limits which don't help us much if we stick to 60-62 mph. While I don't pretend to be an expert on Dallas traffic, I do commute up and down the DNT everyday for work, so I feel like I am at least "living the dream".

Your route takes you along inbound commuter traffic through two of the busiest mix-masters in the city. I have a colleague who commutes in the opposite direction along much of the same route from Mesquite to Addison every morning and he says the PGB route is way out of his way and doesn't shave off any time or traffic for him. I suggest you either get on the road by 6am or enjoy a late morning snuggle and a delicious breakfast and hit the road after 10am. Traffic will definitely bottleneck at I-635 and Hwy 75, but looking at a map, I am not sure how you would avoid it. Leap and the net will appear!

Toddy

#7 thetravelkids

thetravelkids
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 322 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:15 PM

It was still a bit dark at 6:48 am as we pulled out of camp and headed to I-35E southbound. Merging onto I-35E, I guess I wasn't going fast enough for the jerk behind me as he passed on the right and then cut me off a bit. My bride gripped the armrest! I was sure it will take a while for it to go back to it's original shape.
We merged onto the PGWB on immediately noticed we had to move over to the right. I guess the NTTA doesn't believe there are drivers out there that are not familiar with what lane goes where.....I turned on the right directional blinker and was pleasantly surprised to see the line to my right slow down to let us in. Onto the PGWB and just tried to keep up with traffic. Heading out of town was a dream compared to the traffic coming into town...backed up for what seemed miles.
At the US-75 ramp, we were again passed on the right and now I'm positive the armrest will have my Bride's grip imprinted in it for life. I'm sure the guy saved at least 4 or 5 seconds as he took the next exit and was stuck in a line of traffic.
I can't say we saved any time or encountered less traffic. We had to get onto I-30 and head west toward Dallas and then take the I-635 south to the next exit only to head east on I-20. The PGWB was about 6 miles longer in distance. The toll for our SUV and camper was $16.83.
I doubt we'll go that route again.
Thanks again to all who responded to my post.
Safe travels...see y'all at Green Eggs and Ham in March!

Edited by thetravelkids, 14 February 2018 - 04:21 PM.

Bob & Pat

#8 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,374 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:41 AM

Just to be totally correct you drove on the  PGHWB Tollway. I giggled a lot when the first opened it up they emphasized the P=president since our governor had been George W. Bush and our president had been George H.W. Bush. 

Safe travels & happy trails

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)