clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,153 posts
  • Local time: 10:40 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:00 PM

4 casita owners from the "North Texas Casita Owners" are planning to "do" the "Lake Superior Circle Tour" this spring/summer. Anyone is welcome to join us for all or part of the trip. Please google the tour if you've not heard of it. This will be a very flexible and informal caravan (similar to our Quartzsite, Az and Caravan up the east coast that we've done the last couple of years.)

Participants should be willing to make your own plans at times, including campgrounds, if you don't want to boondock. You're free to drop out/rejoin us at any point during our slow trip around this wonderful lake. We will explore as much of Minnesota/Wisconsin/Michigan and Canada as possible. Please check requirements for Canada entry prior to departure , including documents needed for pet entry/re entry.

Please PM me if you have an interest in this trip and I'll share our plans so far. Safe travels, Y'all..............

Edited by clairemr1, 11 January 2018 - 01:02 PM.

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#2 Jim&Clare

Jim&Clare
  • Casita Club Member
  • 72 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 Bigfoot 17
  • Interests:Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:08 PM

Roughly what start/end dates Claire?

Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Happily running around in a 2002 Bigfoot 17

Can now be found here: https://jimandclares...e.blogspot.com/

#3 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:31 PM

hi, jim. thinking of starting out after it "thaws" out up there, mid may or so? allowing at least 2 weeks, but also open to staying longer, much longer (couple of months or so). very early plans at this point, so subject to change according to participants wishes. i've reached out to many of the chambers of commerce along the route, so mail is arriving daily for trip planning.

debating heading up I 35 to Minnesota and coming back via Great River Road or vice versa. Interesting side trips might include Amana Colonies in Iowa, and others along the way.

so, you, clare and that big old badboy bigfoot thinking about it? (hope so)

Edited by clairemr1, 11 January 2018 - 01:36 PM.

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#4 Tom Haberski

Tom Haberski
  • Casita Club Member
  • 159 posts
  • Local time: 09:40 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1996 16' LD

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:39 PM

You may be unpleasantly surprised with a mid-May tour time.  It can still be very cool to downright cold then.  Summer comes the last week of July and lasts through the 1st week of August.  On the north shore of the lake, it has snowed on the 4th of July. No much, but white stuff nonetheless.

It is full of wonderful and gorgeous scenery.

bon voyage

• clairemr1 likes this

#5 Jim&Clare

Jim&Clare
  • Casita Club Member
  • 72 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 Bigfoot 17
  • Interests:Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:03 PM

hi, jim. thinking of starting out after it "thaws" out up there, mid may or so? allowing at least 2 weeks, but also open to staying longer, much longer (couple of months or so). very early plans at this point, so subject to change according to participants wishes. i've reached out to many of the chambers of commerce along the route, so mail is arriving daily for trip planning.

debating heading up I 35 to Minnesota and coming back via Great River Road or vice versa. Interesting side trips might include Amana Colonies in Iowa, and others along the way.

Claire,

We are going on the Southern Utah tour so will be otherwise engaged May thru Mid-June.  Have fun y'all!

Jim

• clairemr1 likes this

Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Happily running around in a 2002 Bigfoot 17

Can now be found here: https://jimandclares...e.blogspot.com/

#6 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:26 PM

You may be unpleasantly surprised with a mid-May tour time.  It can still be very cool to downright cold then.  Summer comes the last week of July and lasts through the 1st week of August.  On the north shore of the lake, it has snowed on the 4th of July. No much, but white stuff nonetheless.

It is full of wonderful and gorgeous scenery.

bon voyage

thanks, tom, for the info.we may dawdle on the way up, spending some time along the way, Casita friends from Minnesota will meet us up there. Apparently they are pretty familiar with the area and the circle tour itself, so hoping we can "pick their brains" about what to see/do so we don't miss anything. i was raised close to Michigan, am used to snow. i'm not discouraged by hot or cold, since our casitas are so well appointed for all temperatures, but sheets of ice on the roads are a bit off putting! looking forward to it, i'm sure it will be just as awesome as the other places we've seen so far. so much to see/do in this great country of ours, for sure.

Edited by clairemr1, 11 January 2018 - 03:30 PM.

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#7 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:27 PM

Claire,

We are going on the Southern Utah tour so will be otherwise engaged May thru Mid-June.  Have fun y'all!

Jim

tell don and betsy hello from us. you'll enjoy the utah tour immensely. safe travels...............

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#8 Tom Haberski

Tom Haberski
  • Casita Club Member
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:47 PM

I don't think you'll run into snow and ice on the roads, just possibly cool to cold temps.  It could be baking hot too.  I do not know.  I've spent time all along that lake, and usually during those 2 weeks of summer I mentioned.  Bugs (biting flies) can be bad in June, or later.  May just seems a tad bit early.  A buddy living near the Apostle Islands in Bayfield, WI went on a 4th of July picnic on one of the islands.  He said he saw remnant snow drifts in the woods.  I can't attest, just passing along here say.  But it is a different ecosystem.  On the Slate Islands, in the North East corner of the lake where we've kayaked and camped, we had Woodland caribou sauntering through our campsite.  It different there, and fascinating.

• clairemr1 likes this

#9 Tom Haberski

Tom Haberski
  • Casita Club Member
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:13 PM

P.S. Do drive the Mississippi River road. Stunning scenery. You will not regret it, and the river towns are cool too.
  • clairemr1 likes this

#10 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:51 PM

thanks for any and all info, tom. any chance you can join us for a bit? sure would like to meet you, i always enjoy your posts...............

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#11 Tom Haberski

Tom Haberski
  • Casita Club Member
  • 159 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:20 AM

Well as the tour develops, I'd certainly consider either meeting up or attending.  Keep us posted on plans.

• clairemr1 likes this

#12 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:43 PM

Well as the tour develops, I'd certainly consider either meeting up or attending.  Keep us posted on plans.

will do, tom. i really enjoy meeting/camping with folks from these wonderful casita sites from all over the country. wonderful perk of casita ownership...............

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#13 larrysmith

larrysmith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 58 posts
  • Local time: 08:40 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:2313

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:55 AM

That sure sounds like a good trip.  I have seen some of that circle and I sure liked it.  Will look for your post.      Mongodog  (about 100 miles North of Dallas)

• clairemr1 likes this

#14 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:57 AM

That sure sounds like a good trip.  I have seen some of that circle and I sure liked it.  Will look for your post.      Mongodog  (about 100 miles North of Dallas)

thanks, larry. i might reach out for your advice/recommendations as this develops...................

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#15 vermilye

vermilye
  • Casita Club Member
  • 374 posts
  • Local time: 11:40 PM
  • Interests:Photography, travel

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:42 AM

A couple of suggestions (I often drive around the top of the Great Lakes to avoid Chicago going between Oswego, NY (on Lake Ontario) and the west.)

Not sure if you are planning on standard campgrounds, but in 2011 I stayed at the Grand Marais Recreation Area campground off of MN 61, and had a Sven & Ole's pizza for dinner.  Maybe it was because I hadn't had any in a long time, but it was one of the best thick crust pizza's I had on the trip.  

The drive on MN 61 has lots of interesting stops, one of which was Gooseberry Falls where I hunted for Agates.  Once you are into Canada along CA 17, you will find a number of Amethyst mines (I stopped at the Blue Point Mine), some that sell through gift stores, and some that let you dig your own, a fun break.  

Have a great trip!

• clairemr1 likes this