53 replies to this topic

#1 Leilik23

Leilik23
  • Casita Club Member
  • 32 posts
  • Local time: 09:39 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 SD 17’

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:38 AM

Im cleaning out my Casita and Im finding what looks like leaked orange stuff everywhere. Plus some mouse droppings 🙄 Anyways, Im probably going to rip out the flooring so that I can clean everything up better and install some new flooring. Im lookin it up now but does anyone have an idea of what the orange stuff is around the carpet over the tire area and on the floor around this copper pipe? Such a mess...

#2 Leilik23

Leilik23
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:41 AM

932CD794-D41B-40F6-BE29-F8ADE03CB8C6.jpeg 2CB9C1BC-224F-40BF-AAF0-A6A37A0E907A.jpeg

#3 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,052 posts
  • Local time: 08:39 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:22 AM

Don't know what the orange stuff could be.  There are not many places mice can get in, the door and the battery compartment are all that come to mind.  They can enter the battery compartment when the electric cord out and plugged into the outside power source, especially if the cord is on the ground.  You may find more evidence in the compartment.  Check your cord to see that it hasn't been chewed.  To avoid unwanted little visitors in the future, plug the access hole when using hook ups and use only enough cord to reach the power source, so the cord isn't lying on the ground.

You have a messy job ahead of you but it will be worth it. 

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#4 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 890 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:44 PM

Carol,

That wouldn't be the battery compartment, but I think you are referring to the "mouse hole" in the shore power access hatch.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#5 Leilik23

Leilik23
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:02 PM

This is a messy job indeed... I think the previous owner didnt think to protect the Casita from mice or moths because Im finding dried mud moth mounds (not sure if they have an actual name) too. All the openings are covered now and have been for the past month since I bought this trailer. Im still not sure what the orange is, but hopefully after the floor comes up Ill figure out... My main fear is it having something to do with the water heater or just the water system in general.

#6 nealreust

nealreust
  • Casita Club Member
  • 134 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:08FD17
  • Trailer Name:Bert

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:59 PM

I believe the "orange stuff" is actually the glue used to attach the carper to the walls.

I also have a 2008 FD and it is showing up in corners and in the closet.

Neal & Kaye Reust
Las Cruces, NM
2008 17 FD "Bert" (Eggbert)
2009 Nissan Titan

#7 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,501 posts
  • Local time: 07:39 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:53 PM

Well, that's not very comforting, (the orange stuff being old glue), but I hope it is glue that is going moldy rather than water damage. Glue is probably a lot easier to remove and doesn't rot out the subfloor. When I looked at the pictures I thought it was staining left over from a water puddle. But the fact that it is on the wheel well carpet too leads me to believe that it might be something else and glue is probably a good bet.

Carol is right, though. You will find that working on the Casita will make you a lot happier with it because you've done it yourself. Take your time and do it right. You'll be glad you did.

On that note, there are jobs best left to the pros: for instance, packing the wheel bearings, etc. By the way, if you bought it used, and the prior owners seem to have neglected it, PLEASE...take it to a good RV shop and have the wheel bearings checked. The prior owners may have neglected to have them packed every year (no, not vitally necessary, but a good idea). While it's there, have them check the brakes, propane lines, etc. It might need new tires...it's ten years old and I bet my lunch they still have the original tires.

this forum...by the way, welcome to it! has a LOT of experienced people with expertise in all sorts of realms. You won't get flamed or trolled. Eric runs a tight ship and runs off the nasty folks. Do NOT be afraid to ask a question. There is no such thing as a 'dumb" question and there are people here who have run into the same situations or problems and have provided plenty of good advice, coaching, and help.  We're a good bunch, we are.

Welcome again to the Casita Club. You're going to have fun!

Edited by Meadowlark, 10 January 2018 - 06:55 PM.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"No matter how old I am, I'm always going to want a pony for Christmas."

#8 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,052 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:27 PM

Oops.  Another brain cell lapse.  Thanks for the correction.

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#9 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,153 posts
  • Local time: 10:39 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:45 AM

leilik i just sent you a PM. hope it helps. why limit yourself with regard to casita knowledge, unless you have no other option?. best of luck with your casita renovation...........

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#10 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,263 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:28 AM

a PM to go to the other site???? recruiting manager for CF??

"while i'm still active on the "other" casita website and on fiberglassrv, THIS site (CF) is my preferred one for several reasons"

"i'm not interested in a "social" site (CC)"

"if you own a casita, THIS is the place to be. "  (CF)

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#11 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:30 AM

a PM to go to the other site???? recruiting manager for CF??

"while i'm still active on the "other" casita website and on fiberglassrv, THIS site (CF) is my preferred one for several reasons"

"i'm not interested in a "social" site (CC)"

"if you own a casita, THIS is the place to be. "  (CF)

????? so it's now not allowed to offer opinions or give folks options and let them glean valuable information from several sites? that is, if they  are welcome on other sites? nor did i know that giving options was considered "recruiting" to these totally free sites. that's sure news to me.maybe i should be asking for a "finders fee", LOL. fortunately,most of us can gain valuable knowledge from several sites and while we may have our personal favorites, we enjoy all of them for various reasons..................

Edited by clairemr1, 11 January 2018 - 08:37 AM.

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#12 Jim&Clare

Jim&Clare
  • Casita Club Member
  • 72 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 Bigfoot 17
  • Interests:Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:51 AM

A while back I inspected a Casita for a potential remote buyer

I noticed the orange dust/stains on hidden parts of the carpet

I assumed it was maybe old spray-glue - but who knows?

https://www.flickr.c...57684877259684/

Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Happily running around in a 2002 Bigfoot 17

Can now be found here: https://jimandclares...e.blogspot.com/

#13 Leilik23

Leilik23
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:16 PM

I hope it's glue! Jim&Clare, the link wouldn't allow me to see the picture. Can you post a picture on the forum perhaps? 

And Claire, thank you for the forum suggestion. I need all the help I can get! I'll be ripping out the flooring soon to just start everything fresh. It's really dirty now, so I think I'm going to redo it with wood vinyl flooring. I just have to take out a few rivets in the electric control panel and in one outlet before I can start on the flooring. Hopefully after the old flooring comes up I'll have a better look at the orange stuff. It's around random spots of carpet close to the floor in places that are not normally visible, so it would make sense for it to be glue. I would like to check on the condition of the wood as well, but I called the Casita factory and the man on the phone said that I won't be able to see and evaluate the wood past the resin. He also convinced me not to take apart the stove/sink/refigerator area because it's too much work. This is fine, but I'm a bit unsettled on not being able to check the conditioon of the wood... 

Anyways, since there are no dumb questions... What is the silver putty like substance around the copper line in the picture? I'm going to need to buy more of whatever it is I assume. 

• clairemr1 likes this

#14 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:55 PM

that silver looks like some kind of caulking that is sealed around your propane line. someone here or elsewhere will know exactly what it is.

you'll be so happy when you get your trailer all ship-shape. come camp with us afterward, don't be a stranger!

Edited by clairemr1, 11 January 2018 - 04:55 PM.

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#15 Ed Brocksmith

Ed Brocksmith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 10 posts
  • Local time: 03:39 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Spirit

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:15 PM

I think I know what you are describing.  I have seen the same thing on my trailer.  I think is is sloppy application of the adhesive use for the vinyl flooring.