• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tombrown

Tombrown
  • Casita Club Member
  • 88 posts
  • Local time: 10:54 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit 17 SD #12415
  • Interests:Picked up our Casita Aug 2014. HE: Retired pilot, Vietnam vet, garage tinkerer, SCUBA diver, sports car enthusiast, RC aircraft and HAM radio hobbyist: KD5ETJ. SHE: exotic plant grower, history buff, SCUBA diver, writer.
  • Trailer Name:Gone Walkabout
  • Casita Club Directory #:14442

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:45 PM

Just finished installing an electrical monitoring panel in my Casita. I had an AC voltmeter plugged into an outlet and a DV voltmeter plugged into a cig lighter outlet. They provided good information but I never new how many DC amps I was pulling and without my voltage/ amperage control box on the AC post, I didn't know the AC amps. With only 30 amps available it is imprtant to check the amps before adding more loads. Just for grins I also added an outside air temp Guage. It's actually installed so if I ever want to remove it, I could do so. So far I'm extremely pleased.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

#2 Tombrown

Tombrown
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:Picked up our Casita Aug 2014. HE: Retired pilot, Vietnam vet, garage tinkerer, SCUBA diver, sports car enthusiast, RC aircraft and HAM radio hobbyist: KD5ETJ. SHE: exotic plant grower, history buff, SCUBA diver, writer.

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:55 PM

This pic shows the location of the electrical panel.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

#3 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 973 posts
  • Local time: 08:54 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:58 AM

I like the unit, but I'm not sure I would like it mounted where you put it. The sharp corner would be constantly hitting me in the shoulder. Ouch. Other than that, nice job. Up higher, like just below the overhead cabinet (where your hat is hanging) would get it above my back and out of harms way.

Do you also have a power management system? All that information is great to have, but I wanted more in the way of 120 VAC electrical circuit protection, so I installed a Progressive Industries EMS-30-HW inline with my incoming shore power line, before the converter. Of course in order to install this hard-wired unit, and not wanting to take half the trailer apart to mount it, I had to install an enlarged shore power hatch. While I was at it, I also converted the shore power cord to a removable twist-lock style which are commonly installed on boats for shore power. So much nicer not having to fight with the shore power cord in that small hatch anymore.

http://www.progressi...aped_fragment_=

Attached Thumbnails

• New Electrical Hatch1.JPG
  • New Electrical Hatch3.JPG

Edited by Euphoria, 07 January 2018 - 10:59 AM.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#4 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,204 posts
  • Local time: 09:54 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:10 PM

Euphoria, I've been wondering - would that power cord not be easy to steal, like, just pull the plug and run?

Tom - My "how-goes-it" panel is way up here, completely out of the way- can't hit your shoulder.  You can still hang your hat.

Dutchman

P1000606.jpg

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#5 Tombrown

Tombrown
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:02 PM

Euphoria,

I really like the boat type mod. I like the hard wired power monitor and the large door! I have a Prosressive plug in monitor - I can often read the power information from inside the trailer. Do you have any read outs on the inside of the trailer?

Regarding the position of the monitor - we don't touch it when sitting facing the stove or the other person at the table. The position was partly determined by the desired location of the outside air temp probe. It needed to be low to get the prob just below the joint that goes around the trailer.

I should mention the total cost was about $25.

Dutchman,

I didn't realize they made commercial monitor panels. What do you do about monitoring AC volts and amps?

Attached Thumbnails

• image.png

#6 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 973 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:11 AM

The EMS 30 HW comes with a remote read-out module that can be mounted anywhere you want to put it. Comes with a long cord. The remote read-out cycles through voltage and current, and any error codes if there is a problem with the incoming power supply. 

http://www.bestconve...ml#.WlOjStKnEdU

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#7 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 973 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:26 AM

Euphoria, I've been wondering - would that power cord not be easy to steal, like, just pull the plug and run?

Dutchman

attachicon.gifP1000606.jpg

Hi Ed,

I have never had a problem with anyone even "eyeballing" my shore power cord, much less having to chase anybody away. I really like the hardwired EMS unit because it is physically attached to, and inside, the trailer behind a locked compartment hatch. The portable ones are just hanging out there on the power pedestal in plain view, and would seem to me to be a much more enticing target for a thief than a piece of wire lying on the ground. Unless you were to look at it closely, most people probably wouldn't even think that the cord isn't actually attached. Also, having the twist-lock allows me to have a hatch with no "mouse door" in it. As an added benefit, I don't have to "wrestle" with the cord pulling it out and putting it back in, and I also gained a bit more usable storage space with the larger hatch. Frankly, I'd be more worried about my camp stove or cooler walking off than I am about my shore power cord.

Greg 

Edited by Euphoria, 08 January 2018 - 03:08 PM.

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#8 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,204 posts
  • Local time: 09:54 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:11 PM

Thanks, Euphoria - I agree with the no-mouse door, having had the pleasure of two mice aboard.  Funnier was finding a large contingent of small ants occupying my galley.  I traced the "route" behind and below the mattress street side, down to along the water heater and then found an army of them climbing up and down my power cord from outside.  Liberal applications of comet cleanser discouraged the procession. I can see where a plug in power cord  would be useful. And, yes, not having to pull/push the cord in and out. On my list.

Tom, the unit pictured is a TM2025-RV unit, by Bogart Engeneering.  Rather than trying to tell you what-all it does, suggest you look it up. I am electrically challenged and  had it installed.  But the read-outs, Volts, Amps in and out, charge and discharge are easily visible, including input from my 100W solar panel on the roof.

Dutchman

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#9 Tombrown

Tombrown
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:39 PM

Euphoria,

Roger on the read out - it's the same read out that I have on my external unit. It's an excellent readout and really helps manage the AC stuff. And yea, did leave it in New Mexico - fortunately the park owner mail it back to me.

Dutchman,

Actually, I did look your unit up. Really covers the bases on DC info. I was just looking for confirmation that AC info was not included.

#10 lgboro

lgboro
  • Casita Club Member
  • 32 posts
  • Local time: 11:54 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Liberty Deluxe

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:12 PM

I have the same unit as Greg (Euphoria) and it works great.  It seems I seldom camp with electric anymore but when I do its one less thing to worry about.  If I already had a pole unit I probably wouldn't change but then knowing me I might if I camped more frequently with power.  It was really simple to install and really doesn't take up space I utilized anyway.

#11 Tombrown

Tombrown
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:46 PM

Where were you guys when I bought my external unit? If I put in an internal unit, I think I would also use the plug too!