5 replies to this topic

#1 Rojo

Rojo
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts
  • Local time: 01:29 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe 16'

Posted 16 December 2017 - 02:48 PM

We have had a 2009 Freedom Deluxe for a little under a year now and I am trying to install a solar panel charging system with the help of my son. 

I think I am going to go with two 6v deep cycle batteries, probably from Interstate but I am wondering about where to locate them.  I originally though to extend out the rear bumper and mount them there since it was closer to the original location but am not real happy with the idea of having the extra weight on the tail end. 

I am now considering mounting them on the tongue to get a little more weight on it to offset the water in the tank and resultant sway and I have noticed a couple of installations with an additional battery mounted in front of the tanks. 

I have looked at the shelf unit from Little House Customs but have some reservations because I have not seen any set-ups that have the batteries mounted above the propane tanks and am wondering if there is a reason for this?  Is it dangerous?  What about a custom shelf mounting the batteries below and the tanks above? 

What else might preclude mounting them on the tongue? Security? Too much weight (about 120lbs total)?  What am I overlooking? 

Thanks,

John

#2 lgboro

lgboro
  • Casita Club Member
  • 32 posts
  • Local time: 02:29 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Liberty Deluxe

Posted 17 December 2017 - 06:06 PM

I'm getting ready to add two batteries on the rear of my 17' LD.  I think I have added enough weight on the tongue with generator and enclosed propane set up and the electric jack to offset most of the extra weight on the rear of the camper.  I plan on putting them in an aluminum under body storage system used on semi trucks or if that doesn't work will have to fabricate a custom storage box.

• Rojo likes this

#3 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local time: 11:29 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:02 PM

Although 12V, an AGM battery, which does not need to be isolated, can be installed anywhere inside the Casita. Just a thought.

Dutchman

• Rojo likes this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#4 f_stop

f_stop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts
  • Local time: 02:29 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:16' spirit deluxe

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:50 AM

I have the OMW over the tanks platform on my 16er. While I don’t have batteries mounted there, I do have a Honda generator that lives there al the time. That additional weight on the tongue made a huge difference in the way the trailer tows. No more sway issues and I can now travel with a full fresh water tank. I’m thinking installing the batteries out front would have much the same effect. I would think mounting those batteries on the rear might result in making the tongue weight issues our trailers have even worse.

p@
  • Rojo likes this
"peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from the gods"
kurt vonnegut, the sirens of titan

#5 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local time: 01:29 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:47 AM

be sure to weigh your trailer & tongue before adding significant weight to either tongue or rear and again after you've made your changes. there is a scale on here somewhere (can't find it now when i need it, of course) that gives general guidelines, such as for every lb you add to the rear of a 13ft PD, subtract 6 lbs from the tongue weight, etc. it's really important that your trailer is loaded the way you normally travel (full fresh water tank vs empty one, etc) at weigh-in. make sure the total trailer weight does not exceed the 3500lb axle rating (some folks have in the past which leads to bearing/tire/axle failure) and that your tongue weight is within 10-15% of your trailer weight for maximum towing stability.

good luck with your project and safe travels.............

Edited by clairemr1, 18 December 2017 - 06:48 AM.

• Carol Christensen and Rojo like this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#6 hankster

hankster
  • Casita Club Member
  • 20 posts
  • Local time: 12:29 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:golf Boondocking rootin' around

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:28 AM

We met a nice sigle lady at the Marble Canyon camsite north of the Grand Canyon. She installed her second battery under the bed at the back of the trailer. he also installed a full time solar panel to the roof. She preferred "boondocking" to save money and that she never needs electric except to run the a/c. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: batteries, solar