14 replies to this topic

#1 Holly&Fred

Holly&Fred
  • Casita Club Member
  • 19 posts
  • Local time: 01:05 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:looking to buy 17'

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:50 AM

We are about to make a decision re which small fiberglass TT we are going to buy. We are STILL trying to figure out...WHAT IS the ongoing problem w Casita refrigerators? Seems the fan isn't sufficient. Has this problem been fixed? If not, do we there4 already NEED an after market  fan  "updgrade"   immediately etc etc.. help please. 

#2 Mark Watson

Mark Watson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 544 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 FD 17

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:14 AM

There is no such thing as a "Casita refrigerator" just to clarify. Casita does install a Dometic brand refrigertor. I didn't opt for the frige fan that sits behind the fridge. I have never had a cooling problem on hot days. Some say the fan isn't needed, I'm one of them, and some even say the fan can cause cooling problems.
  • SKYTALKER and Holly&Fred like this

Mark Watson

Houston,Tx
2008 17' FD

#3 friz

friz
  • Casita Club Member
  • 694 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:16' LD

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:25 AM

Just ordered a 17 LD.  Harald assured me that the fan wasn't necessary since they added a baffle 2/3 the way up to force the air flow over the cooling fins. I'll go with that unless I have a problem in July, adding a fan is simple. (for me)

• SKYTALKER and Holly&Fred like this

#4 flcoxjr

flcoxjr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 157 posts
  • Local time: 02:05 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Spirit Deluxe 17

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:01 PM

Just ordered a 17 LD.  Harald assured me that the fan wasn't necessary since they added a baffle 2/3 the way up to force the air flow over the cooling fins. I'll go with that unless I have a problem in July, adding a fan is simple. (for me)

Do any new owners have a picture of this baffle?
  • Holly&Fred likes this

#5 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,392 posts
  • Local time: 11:05 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:04 PM

Holly and Fred,  and Friz,  I don't know who Harald is but I can tell you from hard won experience, you need the fan. The fridge is made by a company called Dometic, and they are one of only two companies in the country that make refrigerators for campers/RV's. It's not a specific Casita product.

Despite the fact that I live in WA, where it's usually far cooler and damper than anywhere in TX, we had problems with our Dometic for YEARS. It would stop working after 36 hours. Calling Dometic's tech support was a waste of breath and even more frustrating than the fridge faulting out. Dometic's go to (and ONLY) answer was "You let the battery run down to below 9 volts"). Well, NO WE DIDN'T. We threw parts at it, replacing virtually every replaceable part. We were this close to pulling the darned thing out. We stopped using it as a fridge and just as a cooler.

THEN we discovered why it would quit working. It got hot. Didn't matter if we had the awning out or the fan going,  the fridge would fault out and refuse to work once it got warmed up.

The single fan had been installed by Casita far too low beneath the cooling fins to be worth a darn. They just stuck ii in any old spot, down closer to the tire than the fan, they didn't put it to where it actually blew air over the fins.  In addition, the thermostat was left dangling way down below the fan, where it was useless.  They also installed this heavy fan with TWO cheapo rivets that wore out. The fan pulled away from the side of the Casita just far enough to make a heck of a racket and not do a bit of good. The noise is what clued us into why it was useless...it ran and ran and RAN without cooling the fins.

SO............(we wrote up the modification and it's on the Clubs' modification forum)...we junked the OEM fan,  and installed two lighter ones way up, close to and directly underneath the fins.  Put in a better thermostat, and voil `a, the fridge began to work. We have since camped in 100 ° temperatures and put over 5000 miles on the camper,  and not had a lick of problems with the fridge faulting out. It keeps stuff cold and frozen and works like a champ, now, because we put in fans where they are needed, not down near the tire.

So, despite what this Harald says, you DO NEED THE FAN, especially if you are going to be in hot spots like Texas. There isn't enough air flow, even with a baffle installed, over the fins to adequately cool them.  If you've ordered it, you can always call Casita and have them install the fan and tell them to put it close underneath the fins. I love my Casita and won't ever get rid of it, but I swear, it was a Friday camper, sure as taxes.

Edited by Meadowlark, 07 December 2017 - 12:10 PM.

• Holly&Fred likes this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"No matter how old I am, I'm always going to want a pony for Christmas."

#6 EdKH

EdKH
  • Casita Club Member
  • 445 posts
  • Local time: 12:05 AM

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:20 PM

We have camped in South Texas, South New Mexico, in Kansas during one hundred and ten temps and in 
​Washington state with our 2002 Casita 17ft SD.  Have never had a problem with our refrigerator.  

We do not have a fan installed.

This problem seems to be on a case by case basis.

I do clean the coils every spring to get the dirt and spider webs off.  This cleaning keeps the air flowing and frig working.

• Carol Christensen, clairemr1 and Holly&Fred like this

#7 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,109 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:32 PM

i have the smaller dometic fridge in my 2013 13ft casita patriot deluxe. have never had trouble with my fridge, other than when i failed to clean the orifice and subsequently had trouble running it on propane. general consensus seems to be, you either get a good fridge from dometic or you get a marginal one. hope you're one of the lucky ones. btw, as others have said, these fridges are installed in many types of rvs, not just casitas...................

• Carol Christensen and Holly&Fred like this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#8 Holly&Fred

Holly&Fred
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 19 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:looking to buy 17'

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:44 PM

Thank you ALL for your wonderful words of wisdom! Feelin' the love already :-) 

We want to avoid as many problems as possible when we order. 

#9 Anna&Steve

Anna&Steve
  • Casita Club Member
  • 66 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2014 Spirit Deluxe 17'
  • Trailer Name:HAPENEST

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:58 AM

Maybe Harold from Casita can post a picture of this new refrigerator modification to help the rest of us?

#10 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,392 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:01 AM

Anna and Steve, I would bet my lunch Casita nicked the idea of a baffle from Euphoria. Euphoria (aka Greg) is on this forum and on 2 Sep 17, posted a picture of a baffle he installed on his Casita. He's a handy guy, Euphoria is. He's done a number of great modifications to his camper that makes things work better.

As much as I love my Casita, I have to say, the company is pretty muleish when it comes to adopting new technologies or ways of improving the efficiency of their campers. case in point, the Mach 8 AC unit, when it first came out, made such a dreadful racket that people complained. Casita really dragged their feet, insisting that the owners were wrong, it wasn't that bad. Well, it WAS, and I believe they've made changes to lower the dB levels of the AC unit.

This makes it so that we owners are forced to find work arounds, improvements, etc and they really do work better. So check out Euphorias post. No, I have no connections with him whatsoever, I've never met him, but I know genius when I see it.

#11 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,109 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:03 PM

Anna and Steve, I would bet my lunch Casita nicked the idea of a baffle from Euphoria. Euphoria (aka Greg) is on this forum and on 2 Sep 17, posted a picture of a baffle he installed on his Casita. He's a handy guy, Euphoria is. He's done a number of great modifications to his camper that makes things work better.

As much as I love my Casita, I have to say, the company is pretty muleish when it comes to adopting new technologies or ways of improving the efficiency of their campers. case in point, the Mach 8 AC unit, when it first came out, made such a dreadful racket that people complained. Casita really dragged their feet, insisting that the owners were wrong, it wasn't that bad. Well, it WAS, and I believe they've made changes to lower the dB levels of the AC unit.

This makes it so that we owners are forced to find work arounds, improvements, etc and they really do work better. So check out Euphorias post. No, I have no connections with him whatsoever, I've never met him, but I know genius when I see it.

to be fair, casita has absolutely nothing to do with the appliances that are installed in our trailers, other than having a contract with the companies that supply the units. casita is responsible if they miswire or mis install an appliance. DOMETIC and COLEMAN are responsible for any malfunction in the units themselves.they make the appliances, casita does not. i don't know what "fix" the casita company is supposed to come up with to make some of the dodgy fridges run better. many of us have no problem whatsoever with ours. individual issues should be addressed directly to Dometic, IMHO. also, the dometic and coleman fridges and ac units are installed on ALL rvs, not just casita. here at OMW (orbital machine works), we are selling our Coleman Mach 8 hush kits to EVERY make and model of RV out there, including the TIFFEN motorcoaches. these folks are experiencing the exact same noise problem in their $500,000 rigs with the Mach 8 that those of us who have the Mach 8 in our casitas experience. most of them have not one but 2-3 Mach 8 acs installed on the roof, so double-triple the noise. can you imagine that? Also, casita hasn't made any changes to the Mach 8, Coleman itself received so much negative feedback on the noise level of the Mach 8 from the entire rving community, that they recently came out with the "Mach 8 Plus". It seems much quieter than the old Mach 8 (we listened to one at the Pineknot casita rally), but that doesn't help the literally thousands of Mach 8's that are currently in use nationwide.

anyway, not trying to be argumentative, just trying to clarify the problem and with which company the problem actually lies. safe travels, y'all..............

Edited by clairemr1, 08 December 2017 - 01:30 PM.

• Dutchman, Meadowlark and flcoxjr like this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#12 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:30 PM

Thanks for the clarification on the Mach 8, Claire.  But you have to admit that the installation of the fan for the fridge IS provided by Casita. Despite the fact that the original fan in ours had a "Dometic" label, neither Dometic nor Casita itself provided 1. a manual, a schematic, a briefing  or even a sheet of paper describing how to use it and why; 2. any support whatsoever when we called both companies for technical support on the fan; and 3. any sort of information on the engineering, placement or installation of the original fan.

Edited by Meadowlark, 08 December 2017 - 02:31 PM.

• clairemr1 likes this

#13 Anna&Steve

Anna&Steve
  • Casita Club Member
  • 66 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2014 Spirit Deluxe 17'
  • Trailer Name:HAPENEST

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:58 AM

Thanks Meadowlark we followed Euphorias suggestions with a couple of things.

• Meadowlark likes this

#14 Joe Romas

Joe Romas
  • Casita Club Member
  • 264 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD
  • Interests:Hobbies are machining, doing "mods" to my Casita, camping and keeping busy.

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:19 AM

There's a very long thread on the Casita forum titled "how to make the refrigerator run better".

https://www.casitafo...dge-run-better/

There's some venting hardware made by Dometic that is not sold in the USA too.

Once the Dometic refrigerators in the 17' Casita's are ducted properaly there is no need for fans.

The basic problems are Casita didn't stick to published Dometic installation instructions too closely and the rounded sides of out molded trailers made venting a challange.

AND Dometic refrigerators are NOT made in the US, I believe they are made by Electroluxe in Sweden maybe.

Yes some newer ones with electronic controls can develop problems and do require a good battery even when running on propame and 120 volts (the electronics require 12 volts DC)

Edited by Joe Romas, 10 December 2017 - 08:20 AM.

Joe and Mary Romas
Columbus, OH
1999 Casita 17' SD
2017 GMC Seirra

#15 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:20 AM

Don't mean to argue with you, Joe, but Dometics are made in Elkhart, Indiana, just like so many other RV/campers and support companies.

RVD@ilyreport.com (for some reason the URL will NOT copy to this page) ran an article about the company. They interviewed the CEO who said everything was made in the US.

In addition, on a way out in left field tangent, I remember a "Judge Judy" episode where an Indiana woman was testifying that she had to pick up her mom in order to take her to work. Mom didn't drive because she was "still drunk" and her shift at Dometic started at 6 AM. Not too comforting a thought, what? :(

Edited by Meadowlark, 10 December 2017 - 09:22 AM.