#1 Lincoln

Lincoln
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 10:13 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 Spirit Deluxe 17ft
  • Interests:Bicycling, backpacking, hiking, gardening

Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:13 PM

Has anyone replaced the toilet in their Casita with a composting toilet? I've looking at the C-head brand. Seems to make some sense for boondocking which plan to start doing. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,313 posts
  • Local time: 09:13 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:56 PM

bex-cat herder is a lady rving in her 1985 casita Patriot Deluxe. She added a compost toilet to hers and seems to like it very much. you can look her up on youtube, she has a special video of the compost toilet when  she installed it. best of luck...................

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#3 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 988 posts
  • Local time: 07:13 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:25 AM

The biggest problem inherent to composting toilets in travel trailers is that they all require a fairly lengthy period of time in order for the waste to break down into compost. While they may be well suited to certain applications, as those with occasional use toilets that have larger holding volume capacities, such as at your favorite seasonal vacation cabin and similar installations, where there is plenty of time for decomposition to occur, but the small size of your holding tank, (probably 16 gallons or less,) will severely limit your ability to use a composting toilet in a trailer because your holding tank will fill up way faster than its ability to break down and decompose the waste. Just sayin'.

Edited by Euphoria, 02 December 2017 - 07:27 AM.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#4 lgboro

lgboro
  • Casita Club Member
  • 32 posts
  • Local time: 11:13 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Liberty Deluxe

Posted 02 December 2017 - 08:10 AM

I have a Nature's Head compost toilet I bought for a bedside option for my elderly mother to keep her from falling enroute to the bathroom.  I wouldn't hesitate to install it in my Casita and probably will as soon as I can get enough of my health issues resolved to do the work.  It has much less odor than the traditional rv toilet if it is used according to instructions an is ideal for boon docking in my opinion.

The liquid waste would be the only thing that would route into the black water holding tank so I really don't see a downside.  I monitored the one I have for over a year daily and the only problem ever was when my 92 year old mother would use the unit improperly and then it was easy to deal with just caused me to have to empty the solid waste prematurely.

Edited by lgboro, 02 December 2017 - 08:18 AM.

• clairemr1 and Lincoln like this

#5 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,114 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:42 PM

Rebecca has a posted a video of her compost toilet plus many of her travels.  She does a great job.. Scroll about halfway down the 1st page for the compost video.

• clairemr1 likes this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#6 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 988 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:13 AM

I monitored the one I have for over a year daily and the only problem ever was when my 92 year old mother would use the unit improperly and then it was easy to deal with just caused me to have to empty the solid waste prematurely.

So, if you have to remove the waste "prematurely" just what is the advantage or benefit here that you are touting? To me, it is much simpler to just dump the tank and be done. No muss no fuss. A composting toilet for a travel trailer would be the last thing I would ever install. Just my 2 cents.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#7 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 506 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:36 PM

From the research I have done on composting toilets, I wish I had installed one in my Casita when I replaced my factory toilet with a nicer porcelain one. Especially since you plan on doing a lot of boon docking and water will be a premium. It is my understanding that as long as you keep liquid separated from solid, you only have to empty the compost bucket with the mixing handle becomes difficult to turn, so the waste will continue to compost until you empty it. If you are retired and can use your Casita more often than not, I would go for it. I am still a weekend camper so perhaps a flush toilet and holding tank is best for me for the time being. Just think, you would NEVER have to wait in line at a dump station again.

Toddy
  • thetravelkids, clairemr1 and Lincoln like this

#8 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 891 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:17 PM

I gotta agree with Greg on this one......just don't see the need or value.  I like easy........dumping the tanks is easy....takes only a few minutes......if I plant a garden on my Casita roof.....might consider composting.......but then I would have to figure out a way to take my tractor along.........ain't gonna happen.  Safe travels to all. 

#9 lgboro

lgboro
  • Casita Club Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:44 AM

You almost have to make an effort to mix the solid and liquids in a Nature's Head unit and should not be a problem for the average person in normal health and mental capacity.  A little research will yield the advantages for the use of a composting toilet while boon docking or in a State or Federal park with limited hookups.  Two people can go weeks without having to deal with the solid waste and it is not an unpleasant task if the users just follow the directions.  I find the compost toilet easier to deal with than a black tank that will only last a few days at best for two people before having to break camp and empty the black tank.  Unless I am at a meet I hardly ever have full hookups where I camp.  There is no real discernible odor to the compost generated by the Nature's head.  I challenge you guys to stick your head in a black tank system and post the results.  The compost is just like the soil that earthworms grew in when I used to buy them for fishing just and earthy smell and not like a sewer.

• Hot Toddy and clairemr1 like this

#10 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,313 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:10 AM

i try to get information from people that are actually utilizing a product to help me make up my mind about purchasing such products. those that have actual first hand experience with the compost toilet in their trailers seem very satisfied with them. i will seriously consider a compost toilet when my original casita toilet needs replacing. like igboro stated in #4, the only issue he had with one was when his 92 yr old mother misused the unit. that certainly is no reflection on the product. the solids end up "composted" and can be disposed of almost anywhere (you sure can't do that with our regular casita toilet solid waste). i see the compost toilet as a very good option for "boondockers"

Edited by clairemr1, 04 December 2017 - 08:14 AM.

• midemd and Hot Toddy like this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#11 larrysmith

larrysmith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 59 posts
  • Casita Club Directory #:2313

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:46 AM

A few years ago I stopped to use a composting toilet half way between Durango and Silverton Colorado that was managed by the BLM or NFS…………………..I should have known better when I saw two buzzards walking out of the toilet throwing up.  What a disaster.  You can keep your composting toilet.     Mongodog

#12 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 891 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:50 AM

You almost have to make an effort to mix the solid and liquids in a Nature's Head unit and should not be a problem for the average person in normal health and mental capacity.  A little research will yield the advantages for the use of a composting toilet while boon docking or in a State or Federal park with limited hookups.  Two people can go weeks without having to deal with the solid waste and it is not an unpleasant task if the users just follow the directions.  I find the compost toilet easier to deal with than a black tank that will only last a few days at best for two people before having to break camp and empty the black tank.  Unless I am at a meet I hardly ever have full hookups where I camp.  There is no real discernible odor to the compost generated by the Nature's head.  I challenge you guys to stick your head in a black tank system and post the results.  The compost is just like the soil that earthworms grew in when I used to buy them for fishing just and earthy smell and not like a sewer.

I think people should do whatever works best for them.....for me......composting is not the answer.   As for your offer to stick my head in the black water tank system.........I think I'll pass but then again........the same is true for a composting system....wouldn't put my head in there either.   Call me silly!   

#13 lgboro

lgboro
  • Casita Club Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:00 AM

I've been in an old southern outhouse in my younger days and that has nothing to do with the conversation of an engineered and tested modern piece of plumbing that has been used and maintained in the manner it was designed and intended.  This is the first time on either of the Casita forums that the content of most of the posts have been opinion and I find that useless to actually obtain any useful information.  I'm done with this discussion.

#14 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 891 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:24 PM

Sorry to have bothered you..........opinions are like toilets.....everybody has at least one......some of them stink.  Safe travels!

#15 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,114 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:35 AM

While I like the concept of dry composting toilets, frankly, having some experience in the field of microbiology, my interest is the "safe" disposal of human solid waste.  ("Safe" as in Public Health Safety).  Public Health laws exist because untreated human solid waste contains pathogens and viruses that are dangerous to humans.  Solid waste that is not treated in conventional sewage treatment plants, will need certain conditions and lots of time to break down. 

IMO, this article covers the subject of RV Composting Toilets very well.  It's rather long but well researched; it includes information on the legal and safe disposal of human waste.  The authors have written articles for Trailer Life Magazine and Motorhome Magazine.

Eco-toilets answers this question: How long will it take for the solids to break down into compost?

The breakdown of human feces into harmless compost starts to happen within the toilet, especially if the toilet is not in continuous use. The speed with which this happens varies largely dependent on the warmth of the environment. In warm conditions this can be 6 months, whilst in colder conditions it can take as long as a year.  For this reason we encourage storage of composting material in a warm place, or adding it to an existing composter, where other kitchen or garden waste can assist with composting.  For those wanting to break their waste down in the shortest time, we recommend the ‘Aerobin composter‘.  This well designed product encourages high temperatures in the compost and can render human waste as compost in as little as 90 days if well managed.

In order to ensure that all pathogens or other harmful bacteria are neutralized, the Environment Agency advise that such compost material should be kept on site for 26 weeks, but after that time it can be removed to another site or disposed of in domestic refuse or recycling systems.

Edited by Carol Christensen, 08 December 2017 - 10:45 PM.

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.