• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 damdifino

damdifino
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 09:48 AM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:07 AM

All my previous RVs have been Four Season, so I never worried about winterizing: just flick on the heater. With the Casita, I have a few questions.

1.Can I blow out the lines with a tire inflater, or do I need a true compressor? I may just fill all the lines with pink instead.

2. I have a quick disconnect on the upstream side of my water pump. Can I just attach a hose to it and put the other end in  bottles of antifreeze until everything runs pink? Better yet, can I just dump antifreeze into the fresh water tank and run it through all the lines?

3. My shore water valve is malfunctioning, not letting much water through. What do I need to do to make sure that section of line is winterized?

Many thanks.

#2 Joe Romas

Joe Romas
  • Casita Club Member
  • 263 posts
  • Local time: 07:48 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD
  • Interests:Hobbies are machining, doing "mods" to my Casita, camping and keeping busy.

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:35 PM

Open the fresh water tank so it can drain.

Remove the anode from the hot water heater and leave it out.

Blow the water out of the lines through your city water inlet.

Put the plug in the city water inlet.

Turn the bypass/normal valve on the water heater to bypass.

Attach your quick disconnect hose and put it into the jug of antifreeze.

Suck the antifreeze into the system using the water pump opening each valve until you see pink antifreeze.

Make sure either by running the faucet or putting a cup of antifreeze to protect the trams, don't forget the shower.

You can do most of that in the time it took me to type it :wacko:

Joe

Joe and Mary Romas
Columbus, OH
1999 Casita 17' SD
2017 GMC Seirra

#3 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,376 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:34 PM

Joe has it all covered. I'm merely putting icing on his cake.

We blow out the lines using a fitting that attaches to the shore water inlet valve and attach an air compressor to it. I'm not certain where we go it but I would be astonished if Camping World didn't carry it, or any good RV shop.

Blows it out just about as fast as I can type this.

The hot water heater...first step is to make sure the power switch is OFF. Then, flip the pressure relief valve and STAND ASIDE, unless you want soaking wet pants. Once it's stopped dribbling, THEN remove the anode and allow it to drain. The air pressure will blow water out of it. You may want to stick a rag in it to allow the water to wick out, but in any case, make sure you make some sort of annotation to yourself that the anode is OUT and do NOT turn on the hot water heater. What we did was take the old anode, which had corroded like it's supposed to, sawed off the long part leaving just the plug, and put the plug in a little, just enough to keep critters out of it. I also tie a bit of orange engineer tape to the door to remind me next spring that the HWH is empty and has no anode.

Make sure there's a little antifreeze in the bowl of the toilet, too.

It takes about three bottles of pink RV antifreeze to winterize our 17' SD. Maybe that's overkill, but what the heck, it's cheap insurance.

Edited by Meadowlark, 13 November 2017 - 02:35 PM.

• nasa42a likes this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"No matter how old I am, I'm always going to want a pony for Christmas."

#4 Joe Romas

Joe Romas
  • Casita Club Member
  • 263 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD
  • Interests:Hobbies are machining, doing "mods" to my Casita, camping and keeping busy.

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:21 PM

Even Wal-Marts carries the blow out fitting for the city water inlet :dncinban:

• Meadowlark and nasa42a like this

Joe and Mary Romas
Columbus, OH
1999 Casita 17' SD
2017 GMC Seirra

#5 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 2,999 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:19 PM

Better yet, can I just dump antifreeze into the fresh water tank and run it through all the lines?

If you decide to use the pink antifreeze, that's exactly the way we always winterized when the trailer was left outside.  (Now it is garaged).  Since we have never hooked up to shore water, we didn't have to deal with that part of the system.  Instead, we'd drain most of the water out of the fresh water tank, then add pink antifreeze and run it through the lines (beginning at the kitchen) until we see pink.  Shut those faucets and open the bathroom faucets, run more pink until we see it.   Also flush the toilet until the pink shows and pour some of the pink stuff in the sink drains and holding tanks.

Edited by Carol Christensen, 14 November 2017 - 11:13 PM.

• Meadowlark, nasa42a and clairemr1 like this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#6 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,376 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:34 PM

Last January we had to replace the city water valve. It wasn't working right-the original installation  used only three cheap rivets, two of which had worked loose,  and the valve stopped  up, not allowing water to pass through. It had just started to leak when we caught it.

It wasn't a one person job. One person needs to be outside and one inside on his or her belly in the cabinet, and you will need a pipe wrench and a couple swear words. (Okay, a lot of cusswords, because we replaced the junkola rivets with real screws and locknuts and it's a dickey job getting to that mount.

But it went fairly quickly and we are glad we did it.

You can get the valve from Larry Gamble's Little House Customs.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"No matter how old I am, I'm always going to want a pony for Christmas."

#7 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,093 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:29 AM

it would be helpful for future posts if you list the yr and style of your casita. some things go wonky on new trailers (not often, but sometimes) and other issues have to do with age/wear of components. you'll get more accurate "diagnoses" of issues if we have more info on your casita.

• Meadowlark and madjack like this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#8 damdifino

damdifino
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:41 AM

Last January we had to replace the city water valve. It wasn't working right-the original installation  used only three cheap rivets, two of which had worked loose,  and the valve stopped  up, not allowing water to pass through. It had just started to leak when we caught it.

It wasn't a one person job. One person needs to be outside and one inside on his or her belly in the cabinet, and you will need a pipe wrench and a couple swear words. (Okay, a lot of cusswords, because we replaced the junkola rivets with real screws and locknuts and it's a dickey job getting to that mount.

The stopped up city water valve in my 2013 Freedom Deluxe is not easily accessible because it's under a carpeted raceway beneath the captains chairs. Wish I knew how to go about opening that up so I can get to the valve...

#9 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 761 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Kayaking, hunting, woodworker, horse drawn carriage historian and restoration, maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:46 AM

If you use a compressor to blow out your lines.....be sure to turn down the unit so you don't cause problems........I reduce the PSI to about 40.........seems to work fine.

#10 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,093 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:04 PM

The stopped up city water valve in my 2013 Freedom Deluxe is not easily accessible because it's under a carpeted raceway beneath the captains chairs. Wish I knew how to go about opening that up so I can get to the valve...

are you using a blue filter (walmart, amazon) on your fresh water hose? prevents lots of sand/debris from entering your plumbing. i never allow water to enter the casita, whether from city water connection or fresh water tank unless i've used my water hose with filter attached. might be one of the problems. let us know what you find and solution..................

• Meadowlark and nasa42a like this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: winterizing, antifreeze, pink, compressor, tire inflator