5 replies to this topic

#1 jcarney@drury.edu

jcarney@drury.edu
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 09:47 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe/17

Posted 11 November 2017 - 06:24 PM

Planning on a few days in South Padre Island/Brownsville area late January or February to escape Missouri bitter cold, anyone have suggestions for places we can dry camp (we have a generator so do not have to have hookups).  We have a 17' Casita camper trailer and are looking for a site where there is at least a little space from any neighbors.  Are there places on the beach that you can park and stay in your trailer - friends have done that at north Padre Island but said the wind and blowing sand in the winter is brutal.  Is that also true of south Padre?  

Would also appreciate any other camping location suggestions...other than electric and wifi, we do not use any of the usual amenities of RV parks so we are open to both hookups and dry camping.   Thank you!

Ed M. likes this

#2 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 376 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:23 AM

One used to be able to boon dock along the Padre Island Sea Shore, but that was years ago so not sure if they had to tighten up their operation on public land since then. I just searched the internet for camping options on South Padre Island and got lots of hits, so perhaps you could start their. It has been many years ago, but we stayed in a campground on the lagoon side one summer and were eaten up by mosquitoes, so a little sand and wind would be a desirable trade-off to having your flesh ripped from your bones by man-eating mosquitoes. Perhaps I have embellished a tad but that is how I remember it. ;-) Also makes for great campfire stories.

Toddy

#3 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,218 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:38 AM

here is some specific advise that might help

Head to Corpus Christi, take the cross town Expressway to Padre Island. Go over the Padre Island bridge and stay to the right. The road eventually dead ends at the National Seashore Park. Go thru the ranger station gate and take your first right to Bird Island Basin. The road dead ends at a popular boat ramp and windsurfing and wadefishing spot which is located on the bay side of the island. The water is ankle to waist deep and crystal clear with various sea grasses. I've seen 40 footers boondocking right at the waters edges for days. Living on the Texas coast all of my life, I personally would not camp out on the Gulf side (the beach) where you have salt spray and sand falling on the rig. The bay side to me is much nicer and if you want to see the beach, just walk or ride your bike to the other side of the island. It's only a mile or two to the other side.

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#4 jcarney@drury.edu

jcarney@drury.edu
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe/17

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:43 AM

Thanks so much for the info, may use that someday.  But we are thinking of going farther down to South Padre, near Brownsville.  Anyone have any good (or bad) info for campsites down there?  We are only going to stay a couple days, I'm guessing most of the big RV parks will be crowded and/or full, that's why I asked about other options that might not be as popular.  Thanks again.

#5 Bruce44

Bruce44
  • Casita Club Member
  • 32 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:43 AM

On the island there are (were) 2 parks that may not be completely filled.  The Cameron County RV park (has hookups & not right on beach but within easy walking distance (also a road to the beach with  parking).  There is also a KOA on the island.  Neither may not be filled with winter Texans ($'s for long term stays).  We have stayed at both, but not during the winter.  

#6 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,218 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:08 PM

Head to Boca Chica witch is east of Brownsville. When you get to the beach, go south along the beach to the end which will be the mouth of the Rio Grande river. This is as far south you can go in TX. 
Driving on the beach is similar to Dayton Beach.
I was there last winter. Very remote, only a few fisherman

https://www.fws.gov/...caChica_508.pdf

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)