• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mandit

Mandit
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 08:59 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 Patriot 13'
  • Interests:Guitar, lutherie, photography, bicycling, traveling, workouts, metal detecting, adventure.

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:58 PM

Just became the owner of a 2003 patriot. I am wanting to use some of the winter months to do a few mods and upgrades. I want to replace the acorn nuts on the door (rusted) with stainless. Is the door attached with rivets like the interior cabinet acorn nuts? I tried turning one but it does not seem to unscrew. Do I have to cut away the carpet on the inside to replace these things?

#2 oregonlavender

oregonlavender
  • Casita Club Member
  • 139 posts
  • Local time: 09:59 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:FD 2014 16'
  • Interests:Gardening
    Casita-ing

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:00 AM

I have a 16' with same type hinges. One person on the outside and one on the inside. They are bolts. I have replaced three of them I could do without help and eventually I will snag someone and do the rest. You shouldn't have to cut the carpet, the new bolt should push through. If you have to a drill bit will do it.
We were stationed on Whidbey Island at one time. We made tons of blackberry jelly and Oregon grape jam.
Susan and Sunshine (a rare purebred brown dog)

#3 Mandit

Mandit
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 08:59 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 Patriot 13'
  • Interests:Guitar, lutherie, photography, bicycling, traveling, workouts, metal detecting, adventure.

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:01 PM

Thanks ORLavender. I have decided to just leave them for now. I steelwooled the rust off and painted them with some rustoleum. I will look at replacing them at a later date. If its not broke, don't fix it. Trying not to open a can of worms until i've got more time. ;)

#4 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,423 posts
  • Local time: 11:59 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:34 AM

just an fyi to all casita owners, i've found a loose bolt or two on the door, so i make it an annual habit to check and retighten them. another casita owner (1985 PD) almost lost her door on the highway, apparently all of her bolts were ready to fall out completely. safe travels, y'all..............

Edited by clairemr1, 10 November 2017 - 07:34 AM.

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host