15 replies to this topic

#16 tentstake

tentstake
  • Casita Club Member
  • 43 posts
  • Local time: 01:19 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:20 AM

That 'station' is what is called a MAPS ..Monitoring Avian Productivity and Survivorship. I've served on several. It is data collection: netting and capturing wild birds, banding them, weighing, sexing, aging, etc and then releasing them. Hoping to recapture them sometime in the future.

I've banded hundreds of birds but never a raptor.

The data collected serves a lot of purposes but mostly it indicates what is going on with the wild birds. For instance, Chandler Robbins banded a female Laysan albatross on Midway Atoll in 1956. She's still alive. "Wisdom" is the oldest banded bird in the world at 63 years old, she's still laying an egg and bringing up a chick. She laid one this past summer and as far as I know, was successful. No one knew that albatross could live so long.

I am guessing you were a volunteer at that particular MAPS station? That is always a big help. And isn't it a thrill beyond anything you can describe to hold a wild creature, a noble bird, in your hands...and then return it to it's freedom? I always thrill to that...letting that wild creature go.

Yes it is very cool to be able to help out. Dolly Sods is a very cool for this station. Red Creek campground is a short walk to the station.

https://en.wikipedia...Sods_Wilderness

Attached File  P9101867 (Small).JPG   110.31KB   0 downloadsAttached File  P9051746 (Small).JPG   196.6KB   0 downloadsAttached File  P9051752 (Small).JPG   70.67KB   0 downloadsAttached File  P9121917 (Small).JPG   113.69KB   0 downloadsAttached File  P9142043 (Small).JPG   183.98KB   0 downloadsAttached File  P9141998 (Small).JPG   102.34KB   0 downloadsAttached File  P9142002 (Small).JPG   99.76KB   0 downloads

• Meadowlark and NASA42 B like this