• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 381 posts
  • Local time: 12:45 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:12 AM

I am planning on installing the shock absorber kit from OMW this weekend and was wondering if anyone knows the size of wrench/socket needed to remove the bolts between the axle and frame? I have a 2013 17' SD and want to have all of my tools lined up so the project goes smoothly. Thanks!

Toddy

#2 Joe Romas

Joe Romas
  • Casita Club Member
  • 264 posts
  • Local time: 10:45 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD
  • Interests:Hobbies are machining, doing "mods" to my Casita, camping and keeping busy.

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:19 AM

Don't know if this will help of not.

Some time back I removed my welded on axle and reinstalled it with a slight lift and Dexter mounting brackets that came with bolts.

The bolt heads are 15/16", I just went out in the rain and checked.

Joe

PS, you'll need a hefty impact wrench :excl:

Edited by Joe Romas, 11 October 2017 - 06:21 AM.

Joe and Mary Romas
Columbus, OH
1999 Casita 17' SD
2017 GMC Seirra

#3 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,392 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:12 AM

Good on you for trying it yourself, Toddy. We had our trusty horse trailer dealer install ours...Both of us are getting too old to get underneath and do that heavy overhead work. I cannot help you with the installation details, but I can certainly attest to the efficacy of the shocks. The difference is amazing. Before we had the shocks, we'd find that Grus Egg would entertain herself on a long road trip by opening cupboards and  throwing everything that wasn't secured onto the floor. With the shocks, she can only grumble.

Edited by Meadowlark, 11 October 2017 - 08:12 AM.

• nasa42a and clairemr1 like this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"No matter how old I am, I'm always going to want a pony for Christmas."

#4 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 770 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Kayaking, hunting, woodworker, horse drawn carriage historian and restoration, maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:50 AM

Good luck with your project.....I am sure the shocks are good products.  Honestly......I just don't think I need the shocks.......I have heard reasons for installation like Meadowlark above.....it makes sense if you are having that problem.  We just got back from a 3700 mile trip to Mt. Rushmore........I honestly don't recall finding an open cabinet or anything on the floor.  It just has never been a problem for us after thousands of miles....go figure.  I would not hesitate to add the shocks if I needed them.........safe travels.   

#5 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,013 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:46 AM

I've been checking out the OMW shock absorbing kit and it certainly looks like a great product.  In their "Install" section they say the kit includes replacement bolts so I'm surprised they don't mention the bolt size someplace (like a parts list).  But if those are the bolts you need to remove, couldn't you just measure the new bolt?

This is what they say: "The hardest part of the install is getting those big axle mount bolts to bust loose. You will need a long handled brake-over wrench for this. Once they are off you bolt on the axle mount plate with the new bolts supplied and torque them up."

I know nothing about installing this kit so I probably have this all wrong. 

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#6 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,109 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:34 PM

I've been checking out the OMW shock absorbing kit and it certainly looks like a great product.  In their "Install" section they say the kit includes replacement bolts so I'm surprised they don't mention the bolt size someplace (like a parts list).  But if those are the bolts you need to remove, couldn't you just measure the new bolt?

This is what they say: "The hardest part of the install is getting those big axle mount bolts to bust loose. You will need a long handled brake-over wrench for this. Once they are off you bolt on the axle mount plate with the new bolts supplied and torque them up."

I know nothing about installing this kit so I probably have this all wrong. 

thanks, carol. we were able to send todd instructions today from OMW and i'll be helping him install them saturday. hope the project goes well, we shall see.................

• Carol Christensen likes this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#7 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,109 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:49 AM

update: todd was able to install the shocks successfully yesterday. worst problem was getting the bolts on the axle off, they were on pretty tightly. instructions are straight forward.such a huge sense of accomplishment and satisfaction for him when he was finished. good job, buddy!

Edited by clairemr1, 15 October 2017 - 06:50 AM.

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#8 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 770 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Kayaking, hunting, woodworker, horse drawn carriage historian and restoration, maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:24 PM

Mission accomplished.....good job.  May there be many smooth rides in your future Todd!!!! 

• Hot Toddy likes this