mckenziethm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Local time: 12:05 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2018 Liberty Deluxe 17'
  • Trailer Name:Bella

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:55 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'll be picking up my new 17' LD in February 2018. I plan on traveling, God willing, for a couple of years, and am looking forward to the new challenges, as this is all new to me, and can't wait to get out there. In the meantime, I'm in the midst of downsizing right now, and what a job! :unsure: Do some of you know know what I mean.

I'm retired and wish to travel the national and state parks, comingling with volunteer work in-between. This is all new to me, and plan on dry-camping/boondocking most of the time, after I get used to what I'm doing, of course!  In preparation, I've been looking at YouTube and blogs, it seems like for months . . . . .the information can be daunting. I looked at a lot of RV's, but kept coming back to the Casita.

My two 11-yr old cats will be traveling with me. . .shhhhh. . .they don't know it, yet! It'll be interesting how that works, but, it should make it quite cozy. 

I look forward to seeing some of you out there in the near future.

Mary

#2 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,451 posts
  • Local time: 03:05 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:08 PM

mary, congratulations one your acquisition! i think you'll find full timing in your casita is a pure joy, easy to tow, easy to set up, just plain easy compared to most everything else out there. ask any and all questions you may have, we'll be happy to help you. we were all newbies at one time and remember the feeling. don't worry, you'll learn quickly, safe travels...............

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#3 Blacksmith

Blacksmith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 67 posts
  • Local time: 01:05 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2017 Liberty Delux 17'
  • Interests:Ham Radio/electronics
  • Trailer Name:Cassie

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:27 PM

Welcome Mac. We are nearing our first year as Casita travelers. Big one: near Riggins, Idaho we camped on a very nice river bar. No one within 50 yards of us. Late afternoon when we arrived my electronic thermometer registered 124f! 9:30 pm it was still 98f. That Honda 2000i to cool down the Casita was worth ever penny we paid for it! And, no, of course we were not expecting those hi temps. Lesson: hope for the best. Prepare for the worst. Water. Hate to run with more than 1/4 tank of fresh water due to load imbalance. So I carry 2 six gallon fresh water containers in our tow vehicle (TV). And NEVER run out of propane! Corrollary: propane appliances will not operate if the battery voltage gets too low.
These are the things we learned over the first 10 months of owning a casita. Hope it helps.
  • clairemr1 likes this

#4 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,304 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:14 PM

You'll love your new egg, speaking from experience as a full timer.  Be sure to do the factory tour, seeing in detail how each part of the Casita is installed. Second suggestion - camp close the the factory the first night, Ennis or Corsicana, and check out all the systems as much as you can. If any thing is amiss head back to the factory and they will fix it.  For example, one of my rear seats was not installed level and they somehow missed it.  It was promptly corrected the next day.. Since you plan to boondock most of the time, a 100W solar panel would be a good initial investment.  I had one put on the roof of my 2003 17SD and have not been without power since. OTOH, I have not camped in the Washington rain forest yet (old Seattleite speaking).

Happy traveling,

Dutchman

• clairemr1 likes this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#5 mckenziethm

mckenziethm
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:06 PM

mary, congratulations one your acquisition! i think you'll find full timing in your casita is a pure joy, easy to tow, easy to set up, just plain easy compared to most everything else out there. ask any and all questions you may have, we'll be happy to help you. we were all newbies at one time and remember the feeling. don't worry, you'll learn quickly, safe travels...............

Claire and Merlin, thank you for your inviting support; I appreciate it. I love the way you put the casita experience, "pure joy."  . . . .Mary

#6 mckenziethm

mckenziethm
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:47 PM

Welcome Mac. We are nearing our first year as Casita travelers. Big one: near Riggins, Idaho we camped on a very nice river bar. No one within 50 yards of us. Late afternoon when we arrived my electronic thermometer registered 124f! 9:30 pm it was still 98f. That Honda 2000i to cool down the Casita was worth ever penny we paid for it! And, no, of course we were not expecting those hi temps. Lesson: hope for the best. Prepare for the worst. Water. Hate to run with more than 1/4 tank of fresh water due to load imbalance. So I carry 2 six gallon fresh water containers in our tow vehicle (TV). And NEVER run out of propane! Corrollary: propane appliances will not operate if the battery voltage gets too low.
These are the things we learned over the first 10 months of owning a casita. Hope it helps

Hi Blacksmith, thank you for your most valuable suggestions, and I get to benefit from your experience. Much appreciation. I have given thought to a generator, as I was wondering how I was going to be able to use my AC without being plugged in . . generator or solar, but don't know if solar would provide enough power.  How do you transport gasoline for the generator?  . . . .Mary 

#7 mckenziethm

mckenziethm
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:24 PM

You'll love your new egg, speaking from experience as a full timer.  Be sure to do the factory tour, seeing in detail how each part of the Casita is installed. Second suggestion - camp close the the factory the first night, Ennis or Corsicana, and check out all the systems as much as you can. If any thing is amiss head back to the factory and they will fix it.  For example, one of my rear seats was not installed level and they somehow missed it.  It was promptly corrected the next day.. Since you plan to boondock most of the time, a 100W solar panel would be a good initial investment.  I had one put on the roof of my 2003 17SD and have not been without power since. OTOH, I have not camped in the Washington rain forest yet (old Seattleite speaking).

Happy traveling,

Dutchman

Dutchman, I'm thrilled that several of you have responded to my email. I am blessed. Solar is definitely on my list of things to do. You are a confirmation, as I actually had on my mind to camp in the area, near the factory, for maybe a week, so that I would have an opportunity to try everything out, and get used to the routine of the things that need to be done. Did you have an inverter installed in the trailer for the solar? And, is your solar tied to the one battery in the Casita? What type of battery?  Would you suggest AGM or the type you add distilled water to? Is one better than the other? Thank you much! 

BTW, I like your "Home is Where I Park it!" 

Mary

#8 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:36 PM

These are the things we learned over the first 10 months of owning a casita. Hope it helps

Hi Blacksmith, thank you for your most valuable suggestions, and I get to benefit from your experience. Much appreciation. I have given thought to a generator, as I was wondering how I was going to be able to use my AC without being plugged in . . generator or solar, but don't know if solar would provide enough power.  How do you transport gasoline for the generator?  . . . .Mary 

mary, i'd suggest you use your trailer for awhile to learn your camping style before making major purchases like solar/generator. try to attend as many rallies/gatherings as possible to see what others use and what mods they've done, make a list of which of them make sense for your situation before making changes to your trailer, take notes, take pics, etc. i boondock in remote locations mostly and, like blacksmith, use the honda 2000i to run ac/boost battery while in those locations. many owners use solar and if you don't need ac, solar is definitely the way to go. unfortunately, i need my ac here in texas so the generator is a lifesaver for me. i use pure gas (nonethanol) whenever possible with stabil and seafoam and run my generator a few minutes monthly under load to keep things humming along. it is permanently mounted to a cargo carrier in back and locked with a low pro lockdown. has worked well for nearly 4 yrs now.

Edited by clairemr1, 21 September 2017 - 02:40 PM.

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#9 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,304 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:39 PM

Happy traveling,

Dutchman

Dutchman, I'm thrilled that several of you have responded to my email. I am blessed. Solar is definitely on my list of things to do. You are a confirmation, as I actually had on my mind to camp in the area, near the factory, for maybe a week, so that I would have an opportunity to try everything out, and get used to the routine of the things that need to be done. Did you have an inverter installed in the trailer for the solar? And, is your solar tied to the one battery in the Casita? What type of battery?  Would you suggest AGM or the type you add distilled water to? Is one better than the other? Thank you much! 

Mary

Mary, you're thinking the right way. Planning a week near Rice is a good idea. I liked Ennis, a small town just north of Rice. Some nice Corps of Engineers campgrounds with electric outlets nearby on a lake.  Might be a bit chilly in February. I was there in March (2003) and had some freezing temps.   The heater portion of the AC as well as the forced air heater kept me comfortable, Corsicana is busier, but has a popular RV park which is used to having new Casitas stay overnight.  If memory serves, it's called American RV park. Yes, I have an inverter installed, which provides AC current when boon docking  to power my laptop, cell phone, shaver and, most important, my Yamaha piano keyboard and two speakers.  I am hugely in favor of an AGM.  Main advantage - you don't have to bust your knuckles accessing or partly removing a heavy wet cell battery to maintain fluid levels.  Yes, AGM batteries are expensive.  From the reading I've done an AGM charges faster, holds a charge longer, lasts longer etc.  To me, more than worth the expense. It was installed, I closed the litle door and said: "see ya in five years or so.My battery is an Lifeline AGM.  The solar panel feeds the battery via a controller, your on-off switch so to speak. 

I agree with others -  bring the essentials (like a comforter, some (cat)food) ;-) gather some experience with your Casita and go slow acquiring accessories.   Home is where you park it is a bumper sticker from the Escapees RV club.

Best,

Dutchman

Home is where.....jpg

Edited by Dutchman, 21 September 2017 - 06:50 PM.

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#10 mckenziethm

mckenziethm
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:16 PM

mary, i'd suggest you use your trailer for awhile to learn your camping style before making major purchases like solar/generator. try to attend as many rallies/gatherings as possible to see what others use and what mods they've done, make a list of which of them make sense for your situation before making changes to your trailer, take notes, take pics, etc. i boondock in remote locations mostly and, like blacksmith, use the honda 2000i to run ac/boost battery while in those locations. many owners use solar and if you don't need ac, solar is definitely the way to go. unfortunately, i need my ac here in texas so the generator is a lifesaver for me. i use pure gas (nonethanol) whenever possible with stabil and seafoam and run my generator a few minutes monthly under load to keep things humming along. it is permanently mounted to a cargo carrier in back and locked with a low pro lockdown. has worked well for nearly 4 yrs now.

Thank you, Claire, great information.  

#11 mckenziethm

mckenziethm
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:20 PM

Happy traveling,

Dutchman

Mary

Mary, you're thinking the right way. Planning a week near Rice is a good idea. I liked Ennis, a small town just north of Rice. Some nice Corps of Engineers campgrounds with electric outlets nearby on a lake.  Might be a bit chilly in February. I was there in March (2003) and had some freezing temps.   The heater portion of the AC as well as the forced air heater kept me comfortable, Corsicana is busier, but has a popular RV park which is used to having new Casitas stay overnight.  If memory serves, it's called American RV park. Yes, I have an inverter installed, which provides AC current when boon docking  to power my laptop, cell phone, shaver and, most important, my Yamaha piano keyboard and two speakers.  I am hugely in favor of an AGM.  Main advantage - you don't have to bust your knuckles accessing or partly removing a heavy wet cell battery to maintain fluid levels.  Yes, AGM batteries are expensive.  From the reading I've done an AGM charges faster, holds a charge longer, lasts longer etc.  To me, more than worth the expense. It was installed, I closed the litle door and said: "see ya in five years or so.My battery is an Lifeline AGM.  The solar panel feeds the battery via a controller, your on-off switch so to speak. 

I agree with others -  bring the essentials (like a comforter, some (cat)food) ;-) gather some experience with your Casita and go slow acquiring accessories.   Home is where you park it is a bumper sticker from the Escapees RV club.

Best,

Dutchman

attachicon.gifHome is where.....jpg

Thank you, Ed . . . .I appreciate the additional information.

Mary

#12 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:50 AM

mary, i just sent you a PM