3 replies to this topic

#1 James Davis

James Davis
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 08:59 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:16" Spirit Deluxe

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:13 AM

Here in western Kentucky, the Casita's are apparently well hidden. I keep my eyes open for them. Have only seen one or two for sale in a year or so.

I am retired and my wife and I would like to buy a used Casita in the 2,000 pound range. I am sure I will advance my knowledge of all things Casita by reading here. I am glad to be here!

#2 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,200 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:27 AM

Welcome to the Casita Club. There are several places you can look for used Casitas. This forum has a classified section. Also look at Craig's List, 

https://www.fibergla...ailers-for-sale

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/

Here is one in Louisville, KY

https://louisville.c...6282037435.html

2000# is right at the weight of a 17' without the shower/bathroom. Keep in mind this weight would not include any clothing, food, pots/pans, water in the freshwater tank, water in the gray and black tanks. Most people have a "traveling weight" closer to 3000#. Our Spirit Deluxe with a full water tank, an empty gray & black water tank comes in at 3600#.

The 13' Patriot would come closer to your weight limit. However, it has been reported Casita no longer will make the Patriot, so you'll need to look for a used one.

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#3 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,055 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:24 PM

hi, james, welcome! fyi, the casita patriot deluxe is 1880lbs before adding anything like water/food/clothing, etc. i think it will be a real challenge to find one that meets your weight criteria, perhaps an older patriot without bathroom , which would be called "patriot standard".  casita stopped making the patriot standard several years ago and only made the patriot deluxe (complete bathroom/shower/sink/toilet) for the last several years, so you would need to find a rather old patriot standard.

the patriot, standard or deluxe, is the smallest (13ft) and rarest of the casitas, so finding one might prove difficult. you might consider purchasing a stouter tow vehicle that will tow a heavier trailer, most of us have tow vehicles with tow ratings of at least 5000lbs (mine is 6500lbs). you don't want to be at maximum weight limit when trying to travel under a variety of conditions, elevations, etc, for your safety as well as the welfare of your tow vehicle and trailer. best of luck, you'll enjoy a casita if you do buy one, safe travels..................

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#4 James Davis

James Davis
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:16" Spirit Deluxe

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:19 PM

I'm sure you are both right about the weight issue. Our van would be rated for 3,500 IF we had the towing package. Not sure that can be retrofitted. Our hitch is rated for that higher weight, but the "weakest link,"....

We may indeed need to get a beefier tow vehicle.

Thanks for the welcome and the perspective.