• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 travelholic

travelholic
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 08:05 AM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:31 PM

I am super excited.  I am going to go look at at 2007 Patriot Deluxe.  Ideally I wish I could get a mechanic to look at it but that may not be possible.  Looking of suggestions of things I should look for and questions I should ask.... I don't even know where to start! Appreciate all suggestions. 

#2 tractors1

tractors1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 424 posts
  • Local time: 07:05 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:ex-LD17, Escape21 now
  • Interests:Scuba diving, old tractors, woodworking

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:26 PM

Obviously the outside should be in good physical shape - if not shiny that can be fixed. #1 is a firm floor (not soft due to water damage.) Check the floor in front of the fridge, the doorway, and at the rear in the aisle. Then ask about brake and bearings being serviced. Turn on and test ALL appliances (call ahead and have the owner start the fridge a few hours or a day before you will inspect.) That includes checking the air conditioner if it has one and running the furnace.

Check the age of the tires and battery, too. May need new ones but better to know than be surprised.

Everything else is pretty minor stuff that can be fixed cheaply.

• travelholic likes this

ex-owner LD17, Escape 21 now
2013 Tacoma V6 4dr 4wd long bed

Need a widget to hold your stuff?

Don't drill holes!
http://www.rvwidgetworks.com

#3 danwills

danwills
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:patriot 13'

Posted 02 September 2017 - 05:09 AM

Tractors1 has it right. I would also check for missing or loose rivets on the top of the trailer and the frame under the floor for damage or rust. I would also check the fuse box( its under the furnace).  

• travelholic likes this

#4 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:15 AM

if you can't get a mechanic to check it out, what about a mechanically-inclined friend? take someone else with you, have the owner demonstrate all the systems, check the anode rod, ask lots of questions. is this the original owner? how often was it used? how many trailer miles does it have on it? how does it look/smell? since they stopped production on the 13ft PD around the first of this year, the price may reflect it's rarity now, maybe not.

don't wait long, this trailer will sell quickly if it's in good shape. best of luck to you, i love love love mine, safe travels, claire ps, after acquisition, i would definitely get an expert to check for propane leaks. on a 10 yr old trailer that could be extremely import.attend as many rallies/gatherings as possible, ask casita owners everything and take notes. they'll teach you a lot in a short period of time. use it as much as possible to get familiar with it's systems and enjoy!

Edited by clairemr1, 02 September 2017 - 07:19 AM.

• travelholic likes this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#5 travelholic

travelholic
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:41 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I got a feeling that this is going to be the one for me!!!!!!

#6 Brad

Brad
  • Casita Club Member
  • 17 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:13' Patiot Deluxe
  • Interests:Traveling, tennis, songwriting and fishing

Posted 05 May 2018 - 03:39 PM

Hello Patriot Lovers

I am in the process of selling my Patriot 2010 which is in great shape except for the bathroom light. I used my tester to determine if the unit was getting electricity...which it is. But I cannot get the tester light to come on after removing the bulb (new & tested in other light) and with my tester grounded, I still cannot get any sign of juice the circular metal connection in  the middle of the socket. So I am puzzled. I think it may be the switch cause it sticks...does not switch easily. Any ideas?