#1 Rob and Laura

Rob and Laura
  • Casita Club Member
  • 51 posts
  • Local time: 05:34 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:looking for a Casita
  • Trailer Name:Casita

Posted 29 July 2017 - 07:23 PM

Any suggestions how to check someone's legitimacy if they placed an ad in Craigslist for a Casita ? 

#2 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,045 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 29 July 2017 - 08:44 PM

If it sounds too good to be true.....it most likely is.  If it's legit.....call the number.....go see it........if a good deal.....move quicly because they go fast.  I bought mine off of CL.........good luck. 

• Rob and Laura likes this

#3 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 590 posts
  • Local time: 07:34 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 30 July 2017 - 03:31 AM

I would think if you could speak with them over the phone and ask a lot of questions. They should be forthcoming with their answers. If they hem and haw about answering your questions, then I would become suspicious. A true Casita owner will know a lot about their rig. Here are a few questions to get you started.

1. When did you buy it?
  2. Why are you selling it?
  3. Where have you traveled to?
  4. What upgrades did purchase when you bought your rig?
  5. What do you like about it?
  6. What do you dislike about it?
  7. Have you had any trouble with it, and if so, what?
  8. How are the tire?
  9. How does it tow?
  10. How do you winterize it?
  11. Has it ever been in an accident?
  12. Have you had to do any work to it, and if so, what?
  13. Are you on the Casita Club, Casita Forum or Fiberglass RV websites, and if so, what is your screen name?

The list could go on and on, but they should be able to answer very specific questions should you ask. Also, I believe there is a VIN #stamped on the hitch. You may ask them for it and/or the license plate number and tell them that you want to run the numbers to see if it has been in any accidents. See how they react to that request.

I know ClaireMR1 bought her Patriot Deluxe off of Craigslist, and I am sure there are plenty of others so surely it can be done. Best of luck and congratulations in advance should it all work out!

Toddy

#4 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,435 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:09 AM

talking to the owner on the phone can tell you a lot, in addition to the above questions, make sure you get a clear title. be prepared to move quickly. don't go alone to a transaction like that, take another trailer owner or trailer mechanic with you,if you can. make the owner demonstrate all the systems to you, if possible, so you know they all work. best of luck, i did indeed find my 2013 casita PD on craigslist, it was 4 months old, had never been used, still had that new trailer smell, was within 6 hrs of my home and the elderly owner couldn't have been kinder to me.he also stayed in contact after i brought it home to be sure i understood the systems. there are still very good people on craigslist, best of luck finding your casita

Edited by clairemr1, 31 July 2017 - 06:21 AM.

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#5 Tom Haberski

Tom Haberski
  • Casita Club Member
  • 172 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1996 16' LD

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:46 PM

Hot Toddy's suggestions are spot on and a good place to start.
Any Casita purchase will be a leap of faith.....new or used. You may need to drive a long way to inspect, you may find your dream or return empty handed. Depending on how handy you are, or want to become, older rigs can be a good value and restored. Fiberglass just doesn't degrade much, within our lifee times.

#6 Tom Haberski

Tom Haberski
  • Casita Club Member
  • 172 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1996 16' LD

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:51 PM

P.S.
I think I came across my rig on Craidslist......it has been some 7 years or so, so I don't recall, exactly. It!s not the venue, it is the condition of the rig that counts.
  • Rob and Laura and Hot Toddy like this

#7 brsedwebt

brsedwebt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 82 posts
  • Local time: 08:34 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:ID 17
  • Interests:camping, travel, ghost towns, light houses, covered bridges, kayaking, boating, antiques, old advertising...
  • Trailer Name:Cozy-Casa

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:22 AM

Just a word to the wise - do not send a deposit ahead of time. Don't ask how I know. Be prepared to purchase when looking at it. I like to ask the seller if there is a "XYZ" bank nearby (my bank) so we can complete the transaction there in safety for both parties. We both know the money is legit and it is not on my person. It is helpful to have a national bank chain to have an account with for things like this. 

• Rob and Laura and clairemr1 like this

Cozy-Casa    Visualize whirled peas

#8 Rob and Laura

Rob and Laura
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:26 AM

Thank you every one for such thoughtful and good suggestions.  Really appreciate it ! What a great community.

The first two casitas we found on CL had title issues. Without going into detail, I'm sure you've heard stories like this. title not in their name, a long complicated story, a hard sales pitch, "cash no bank check" and just not a good situation....all info gathered by phone and text, lots of research and glad we could weed these out.   Following up on more.. on CL  - and.some far more reputable than the first two.. Thanks again.  Whenever we land one, we'll post a photo!  

• clairemr1 likes this

#9 Rob and Laura

Rob and Laura
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:10 AM

Well, drove quite a ways to check out a casita for sale, guy was not forthcoming at all about the condition of it via phone and texting, and you can't see everything in photos.  Not just aesthetic things (there were many) but functional things. It was a bit of a mess. The ad was in Craig's list.  Very surprised they didn't list it in this Forum also, I found out they are members.

A disappointment to say the least after investing in motels and gas. But we will continue looking for "Mi Gusta casita"...not giving up yet. 

Just not worth the gas and money to travel that far so I think we'll just hope that something comes up locally here in Southern California! 

#10 MN/Camper

MN/Camper
  • Casita Club Member
  • 59 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita 17

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:53 AM

Have them take a picture of the VIN # with today's paper, showing the date.

#11 Rob and Laura

Rob and Laura
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:38 AM

Have them take a picture of the VIN # with today's paper, showing the date

Thanks. We're still looking. A Casita will come our way eventually, the right time, the right place! Appreciate your suggestions everyone! 

#12 Steve Welch

Steve Welch
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 06:34 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Delux 17'

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:13 AM

I bought our Casita through an add that was on craigslist.  Be careful.  I saw the advertisement in the Casita Club also.  If you are traveling to an unknown area like I did I made sure I had protection.  Also I talked to the individual selling over the phone and exchanged several emails.  Got some background information.  I also made up a bill of sale that while was simple protected me.  All went well and I am happy.  I have purchased other items through Craigslist and always do the same.