#2 vermilye

vermilye
  • Casita Club Member
  • 407 posts
  • Local time: 04:51 PM
  • Interests:Photography, travel

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:36 AM

Need to dump after little use?

It depends on how soon you are going to use the trailer again.  You don't want the tank to dry out with any "solid remains" in it.  You also want enough volume when emptying the tank to wash everything out.  I'd add enough water to at least half fill the tank before dumping.

• clairemr1 likes this

#3 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 590 posts
  • Local time: 03:51 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:41 AM

I dump often, even when switching campgrounds. I figure it is just like sweeping your kitchen floor at home, you just can't do it too often. The cost for half a scoop of Happy Camper treatment isn't prohibitive enough to haul my business with me. And I am camping, so I have all the time in the world. I honestly believe people overthink their black water tanks. I have even heard of folks who are so weirded out by them that they will crap in a plastic shopping bag and toss it in the dumpster so they don't have mess with their toilet. To each is his own I guess, but so unsanitary. So gross.

Toddy
  • Meadowlark and Jerrybob like this

#4 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,435 posts
  • Local time: 03:51 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:30 PM

you don't necessarily have to dump your black tank if there's not much in it, but i usually do at every opportunity. i don't like the idea of body fluids/solids sloshing up the sides of my black tank when driving down the road. i dump at the campground, rinse out the black tank then fill it with a bucket or two of fresh water and rv toilet chemical. keeps everything fresh and sweet smelling while enroute to the next destination and the chemical description states it helps protect the valves from drying out/cracking.

safe and fun travels....................

Edited by clairemr1, 27 July 2017 - 03:30 PM.

• Meadowlark and NASA42 B like this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#5 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,259 posts
  • Local time: 01:51 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:51 PM

On a long trip we usually dump the grey tank more often than the black.  If the black tank is not very full we will add water (sometimes grey water) before driving to the dump station to improve the slosh factor.  We always add water to both tanks after they've been emptied.  And when storing the trailer, our tanks are always empty and clean, even if we are using it again in a week or so.  I guess it would depend on the temperature but neither tank is going to be pleasant to be around after sitting for a month.

We had a Casita visitor who drove for about 500 miles with her bathroom window open because she hadn't emptied the black tank before storing her trailer.  I don't know how long it was stored but she lived in Las Vegas, so it had been hot.  When she stopped by to visit, she had to park on the street because our driveway is unfriendly.  But when she left, I walked her out to her trailer and commented on the open window.  Standing outside but close to her trailer, I could still smell the stink.  I just hope the odor was contained in the bathroom and didn't permeate everything in the trailer.  That's one hard lesson to learn.

Edited by Carol Christensen, 31 July 2017 - 07:29 AM.

• Meadowlark and clairemr1 like this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#6 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,275 posts
  • Local time: 02:51 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 30 July 2017 - 06:04 PM

EWW  :wacko:

Dutchman

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !