#1 MGB

MGB
  • Casita Club Member
  • 11 posts
  • Local time: 04:28 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:LD 16

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:28 PM

Hello, we are Mark and Bettina from Tampa Florida
We just bought a 2016 Casita 16ft. Liberty Deluxe. A month ago we were tent campers. There was no sign or even thought of an RV. Now there's one in our back yard. We hope to ease into it over the next year and be ready to enjoy it more when we retire sometime after. We are complete RV novices, and have never trailer camped as adults. Hopefully some of our kayak camping skills and mechanical skills will transfer! Any advice on readying a never used trailer and its owners for its first trip will be appreciated!

Mark and Bettina
2016 Casita Liberty Deluxe
2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4 cylinder 5 speed

#2 Tom Haberski

Tom Haberski
  • Casita Club Member
  • 172 posts
  • Local time: 09:28 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1996 16' LD

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:08 AM

Advice? Go slow. Get your tow rig in shape, WDH, sway bar, all systems checked. Do a short test camp or drive. Get out and look when backing up or tight maneuvering. Obtain checklists and use them. They're available in forums. Go slow in speed, actions when possible.....fewer mistakes.
Enjoy your new rig.
  • MGB likes this

#3 tractors1

tractors1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 424 posts
  • Local time: 08:28 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:ex-LD17, Escape21 now
  • Interests:Scuba diving, old tractors, woodworking

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:51 AM

Practice backing up in an empty area of a big parking lot. Casita has a short wheelbase that takes some getting used to as it changes direction quickly when backing. Having a couple of largish cardboard boxes to back in between helps.

Edited by tractors1, 21 July 2017 - 11:52 AM.

ex-owner LD17, Escape 21 now
2013 Tacoma V6 4dr 4wd long bed

Need a widget to hold your stuff?

Don't drill holes!
http://www.rvwidgetworks.com

#4 borderbrae

borderbrae
  • Casita Club Member (c)
  • 1,013 posts
  • Local time: 11:28 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 17' SD
  • Interests:Travel, photography

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:18 AM

Welcome to the Casita family. If you can get up to Salt Springs camp ground over New Years there will be a few Casitas there, good place to ask questions and meet some great folks. 

Jean
2000 SD 17'
2011 Silverado w/Prodigy BC
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much (and take lots of photos along the way)
www.jeanclarkphotography.com
www.borderbrae.wordpress.com

#5 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 580 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:19 AM

Advice? The most important thing to remember about advice is that it is free and you don't have to take it. Now for mine:

• Learn how you camp BEFORE you invest in a bunch of equipment and modifications on your trailer. As former tent campers, I suspect you will be shocked at just how much you can do without. Invest in good quality, solid equipment so it lasts a lifetime and you camp without regrets.
  • When backing your trailer, make very small adjustments to your steering wheel. I over-compensated and had a hell of a time backing up at first until I learned to make small adjustments to the wheel. Get your tow vehicle and trailer in a straight line before backing into your campsite.
  • If you plan to store your trailer outdoors, invest in a good cover. We bought a CalMark cover when we bought our trailer five summers ago and people remark to this day how our trailer still looks new.
  • A couple of things that we have really enjoyed - good camp chairs, a Breville Smart Oven and induction burner so we can cook good quality meals outside, a good set of cookware (steel for induction cooking), a small plastic folding table to set things on outside, Britta water pitcher so we don't have to haul bottled water, and an Omni-directional TV antenna. We took our microwave out of our trailer a couple of trips ago and LOVE the additional storage space in the kitchenette.
  • Should you every have a question or concern about ANYTHING Casita or camping related, don't be afraid to ask it here on this forum. I consider many of these folks in this community my friends (even thought I have never met most of them) who give solid advice on my maladies. They have saved me a ton of money and headache by pointing me in the right direction. Remember, the wheel has already been invented!

Happy camping!

Toddy

• MGB likes this

#6 MGB

MGB
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:23 PM

Thanks All for the excellent advice. 

to BorderBrae - We just made reservations!

to Hot Toddy - We are considering an toaster/ convection oven or an Infrared one. No Micro installed The induction plate is also under review. No decisions yet, we want to go for a few trips first. We have chairs and table from tent camping, as well as a coleman stove, and 6 to 8 homemade alcohol stoves :) A cover is a definite must for the Florida sun. Will check the boards to see where we can get one.

to Tom: The LD came to us with a friction anti sway bar. Is a WDH necessary?  Wasn't sure if I needed it. Got the brake controller, etc. As an ex Submariner, and full time amnesiac, I love checklists. Will look for them.

to Tom, Tractors and Hot Toddy: Lots of practice are in our future. If work allows we will be going to the local state park in 3 weeks for our first weekend trip.

Mark and Bettina

#7 MGB

MGB
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:40 PM

Our first questions.

Not sure if I should post here or over in a technical area. We have slept in the LD the last few nights, just to try out all the various setups. About  the Frederich front mounted AC:

1) it seems to blow a bit damp. In the manual, there is a vent re-circulation adjustment to control the amount of fresh air. Unless its hidden behind the screwed on front plate, I cant find it.

2) In order to clean the condenser( outside) coil it seen that you have to slide the whole unit inside, as the outside vent is riveted on. Not sure if it would even fit out the door!

3) The manual (again) shows both vertical and horizontal adjustable vanes in the cold air outlet. On the installed unit they have all been removed and a fixed grill pop riveted and caulked in place.the vent still pivots to the left, but that's all. After watching it for awhile, it seems that the cold air just stays on the floor and doesn't circulate. Also, It causes the unit to short cycle as the cold air just goes right back into the filter. ( actually, I think i fixed the last bit by installing a thin sheet of stiff plastic between the outlet and inlet!) My attempted fix for the air flow is to attach a small clip on fan to direct the air up a bit towards the sleeping area. Will see tonight.

Mark

Edited by MGB, 23 July 2017 - 12:43 PM.

#8 Tom Haberski

Tom Haberski
  • Casita Club Member
  • 172 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1996 16' LD

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:17 PM

Mark,

You ask if you need a WDH.  I do not know what your tow vehicle (tug) is and any answer would depend on that.  Folks with larger vehicles say they do not need the WDH.  I've towed without one and much, much prefer the improvement in towing with one.  I tow with a full size, V-8 van, capable of 10,000 towing and  prefer towing with a WDH.  No sag to the tug, no porpoising on rougher roads, a unitized package with the WDH.

#9 MGB

MGB
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:43 PM

Tom, I have a Nissan 2012 manual 4 cylinder,

#10 borderbrae

borderbrae
  • Casita Club Member (c)
  • 1,013 posts
  • Local time: 11:28 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 17' SD
  • Interests:Travel, photography

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:53 PM

Mark, I will be in site #21, I look forward to meeting you and Bettina. I always use a WDH with my truck and trailer. If you do a search you should find some posts about WDHs, put in Nissan Frontier towing and you may get some more specific to your vehicle. 

Jean
2000 SD 17'
2011 Silverado w/Prodigy BC
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much (and take lots of photos along the way)
www.jeanclarkphotography.com
www.borderbrae.wordpress.com

#11 MGB

MGB
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:26 PM

We are going to be in Site #32 from Thursday through Sunday. Hope to see you all then

#12 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 580 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:33 AM

We tow with a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Track V6. I thought about a WDH for a few minutes, but then decided I didn't need one. My rig tows pretty level and the anti-sway bar seems to do the trick once tightened. The beauty of a Casita is its simplicity. The more bells and whistles you add to it, the more complicated your set-up and breakdown becomes. I watch big rigs spend two hours setting up. I want no part of it. Again, before you start adding a bunch of stuff that you may not need, camp a bit until you learn how YOU camp and then add the modifications and gear that will make you happy.

I can't tell you how many people I see have scissor jacks welded on to the front of their trailer, and I always think, 'do you need scissor jacks?' If you are big people, then yes, they may add to your comfortability, but being small/average sized folk, we have never needed them. Remember, they are just one more thing to crank up and down during set-up and breakdown, so if you don't need them, why add the step?

Toddy

#13 MGB

MGB
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:14 AM

To Hot Toddy:
Given our budget, both in dollars and pounds (4cyl Tow vehicle), I have to be a bit ruthless in the nice vs. need categories. Add to that our utter newness to RVing means we will be weekend local camping for a while before making big changes. Safety is different. If we need it we'll get it.

#14 MGB

MGB
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:00 PM

Well, we finally got to take our casita out. Just a local rv park only 25 minutes from home. Hopefully, the first of many short shakedown trips. Forgot the paper towels and the top sheet for the bed. Took 5 tries to back in to our spot. 😮. But, had a nice lunch at Keel and Curley winery/brewery. Swam in the pool,shopped at both Lazydayz and Camping World , and cooked dinner on the Coleman white gas stove. Very nice.

#15 FeldmanKC

FeldmanKC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 14 posts
  • Local time: 10:28 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe/16ft
  • Trailer Name:SPICE WAGON

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:41 AM

Welcome to Casita....We are located about 80 miles South of you, Venice. Will get our 16' Spirit in December. As you might suspect, we are getting anxious at this point. We considered, looked, and then delayed our Casita purchase for a long, long time and here we are, CLOSE... Hope you are enjoying your recent purchase..