#1 CasitaRick54

CasitaRick54
  • Casita Club Member
  • 208 posts
  • Local time: 09:48 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 17'
  • Trailer Name:La Casita de La Playa

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:58 PM

This is sort of Dodge Ram specific, but I got out my Fluke meter and checked the seven way plug socket today on my 2016 Ram 1500 diesel. There is 12 volt power always on when the tow vehicle is shut off-even after all the various timers that keep the lights, etc. on after ignition shutoff have shut down.

Why is this important? Because the tow vehicle will continue to provide 12 volt power to the Casita and if enough time passes by, could run down the starting battery on the truck, which would Be A Bad Thing.

So, when stopping for the night or out boondocking, it's best to disconnect the brake and light cable, but it also might be a good idea to put a post-it on the dash to remind you to hook it back up when you get ready to depart. Myself, it's an item on my "pre-flight" walkaround inspection, but your procedures may be different.

• clairemr1 likes this

#2 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 729 posts
  • Local time: 07:48 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Kayaking, hunting, woodworker, horse drawn carriage historian and restoration, maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:26 PM

Good advice.  I always disconnect my truck and trailer when stopped at night.  Also.......we always check the lights on trailer anytime we reconnect or when starting out each morning......just a habit that ensures lights are working properly.   

Edited by Jerrybob, 16 July 2017 - 08:27 PM.

• Meadowlark and clairemr1 like this

#3 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 836 posts
  • Local time: 07:48 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:23 PM

When I tow with My 2004 Nissan Frontier, I disconnect my 7-Pin connector because the plug is still energized even when it's off, but when we tow with my wife's newer 2016 Chevy Silverado, it isn't necessary to unplug because it has an automatic disconnect solenoid that kills power to the trailer when the ignition is off. Some of that new technology...

Edited by Euphoria, 16 July 2017 - 09:24 PM.

• Meadowlark and clairemr1 like this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#4 brsedwebt

brsedwebt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 43 posts
  • Local time: 10:48 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:ID 17
  • Interests:camping, travel, ghost towns, light houses, covered bridges, kayaking, boating, antiques, old advertising...
  • Trailer Name:Cozy-Casa

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:38 AM

I had an 08 2500 Chevy - the charge wire stayed hot all the time. The 15 F150 the charge wire goes cold when cut off. The 08 Chevy wire was quite a heavy gauge wire and would run the fridge with no problem. The 15 F150 will not run the fridge while driving. 

• clairemr1 likes this

Cozy-Casa    Visualize whirled peas

#5 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,027 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:24 AM

i killed both batteries in my old 1995 ford ranger and 2013 casita twice when i initially purchased my trailer 3.5 yrs ago because i failed to unplug them, the second time when i had stopped at walmart for a couple of hours! replaced the ranger in 2015 with a new toyota tacoma that shuts down the power to the casita once the ignition is off. i still usually unplug when stopped overnight, but not always.  it's easy to check your 7 pin connector in the tow vehicle to see if it stays hot with ignition off or not. the recommendation is that you should unplug if you plan to be gone for 30 minutes or more, if your tow plug remains hot.

Edited by clairemr1, 17 July 2017 - 05:27 AM.

• Jerrybob likes this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#6 Jim&Clare

Jim&Clare
  • Casita Club Member
  • 46 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:none
  • Interests:Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:50 AM

Brand new Dodge Durango has a note in with the brake controller pig-tail that power is always on.

Will I remember to unplug?

We'll see.

Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Can now be found here: https://jimandclares...e.blogspot.com/

#7 vermilye

vermilye
  • Casita Club Member
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Photography, travel

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:09 AM

Be sure to wait a few minutes after shutting off the tow vehicle (or check before starting the vehicle) to see if there is power on the 7 pin connector.  Some vehicles keep the connector hot for a minute or two after shutting down, then open the connection.

• clairemr1 likes this

#8 Librarianocnj

Librarianocnj
  • Casita Club Member
  • 74 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Independence
  • Interests:Bicycling, Fly Fishing, Kayak Fishing, Reading
  • Trailer Name:Callimachusita

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:00 AM

Your mechanic can put a relay to stop power when you turn the ignition off. Relatively cheap.
  • clairemr1 likes this
Gordon and Anne
2010 Suzuki Equator "Suzi Q"
2015 Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie
Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow

#9 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,272 posts
  • Local time: 06:48 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:04 PM

We always unplug when we've set up camp. We also always do a light check when we hook up. I don't know if our Tundra's 7 pin is hot all the time..that's probably a good thing to check. Nevertheless, we'll still completely disconnect.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"The roads of civilization are paved with the bones of horses."

#10 EdKH

EdKH
  • Casita Club Member
  • 443 posts
  • Local time: 08:48 PM

Posted Today, 10:37 AM

When stopped for lunch or dinner, I turn the frig off.  The frig kills the battery in about 2 hours.  Since I added an 80 Watt solar panel, that provides just enough power on a sunny day to keep the frig going on DC for the time I'm in the restaurant.  But I still turn off the frig.  I also installed a safety storage connector for the trailer side of the power, brake, turn signal cable.  I drove off once with it disconnected and had to replace the whole thing.

#11 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,272 posts
  • Local time: 06:48 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted Today, 01:10 PM

Eek, I've always wondered about that happening. Yikes, I bet that wasn't a cheap lesson.... :(

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"The roads of civilization are paved with the bones of horses."

#12 CasitaRick54

CasitaRick54
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 208 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 17'
  • Trailer Name:La Casita de La Playa

Posted Today, 05:41 PM

I unplug the brakes/light cable and tie a a long orange plastic ribbon to the steering wheel, like sort of a "remove before flight" reminder to plug it back in. I do the same if I leave the power cable plugged in at the campsite as I get ready to leave-to stay cool just a bit longer....I also put an orange traffic cone on top of the cable that I will immediately spot in my mirror. Expensive lessons are the best.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Battery, Ram, charging