2 replies to this topic

#1 John R. McNicholas Jr.

John R. McNicholas Jr.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 07:47 PM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:26 AM

Hi, folks;

We picked up our Liberty Deluxe in November '15, towed it home to Santa Cruz, Calif., behind our 2007 Toytota FJ, and we've put maybe 6,000 highway miles on it since, and enjoyed nearly all of them.  

We're trying some mild-to-moderate boondocking in Idaho and Montana -- nothing worse than untended or washboard roads and trails, traversed slowly and carefully -- and the door latch has started sticking; door won't open without a push and a "bang" from the latch area. Pushing hard on the closed door before working the latch doesn't help. 

The latch bolt or tongue is withdrawing completely, when tested with the door open, so I can't figure out what's catching on what -- no apparent signs of friction or trauma on the latch, or the strikeplate on the frame; no obvious distortions in door or frame, all seems to be true ...

Any ideas? I'm going to start by removing the strikeplate, to gauge results. But, uncharacteristically, I thought i'd ask for help first.

-- John and Peggy

• traveling_greniers likes this

#2 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 2,953 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:47 AM

Hi John & Peggy,

Sorry I don't have an answer for you.  But I think your question will reach more people if you repost it on the Casita Club Forum instead of the Introduction Forum.

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#3 Blacksmith

Blacksmith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 36 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2017 Liberty Delux 17'
  • Interests:Ham Radio/electronics
  • Trailer Name:Cassie

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:02 PM

We have experienced the same sticking door issue, even on the 5-state 16-day trip from which we just returned.  Our issue seems to be the main door, but is NOT.  The screen door frame is flimsy and can be sprung away from the hinge side very easily.  For us, it's when a hanging garment gets between the jam and the screen door when  closing the door.  That will spring the screen door just enough to make it jam on the striker plate.  EASY FIX.  Just push on the frame edge near the lock area and force the door frame back toward the hinges.  Note, you are not pushing on the outside od the frame as you look at the door from outside the Casita.  You have to push on the EDGE of the door frame that meets the striker plate.  Note 2:  When the two doors are closed  together, this condition makes it VERY difficult to pull open the outside door latch.