Photo

Suggestions For Drum/hub Replacement - Help???

Drum Hub Brakes Wheels tires

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kaly

Kaly
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 12:00 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:1993 Spirit Deluxe/16
  • Interests:Exploring the open road, trail running, hiking, cooking, savoring micro brews and raising a rowdy crew of four kids.
  • Trailer Name:Lucky Penny

Posted 02 July 2017 - 02:08 PM

Does anyone have any experience with an older model Casita axle and drum/hub replacement?

We own a 1993 Casita with a 2,200 pound Dexter torsion axle. The previous owners left one side of the trailer with a bolt on wheel set-up, rather than the regular lug and nut style. Now we can't let these bolts to come off and I'm thinking we are going to need to change out the entire drum and hub, and maybe the brake mechanisms as well. FYI - we have not used the trailer brakes yet. Texas is flat ;-)

Is it worth it to invest in a total overhaul of both sides, or just go for the simple fix?

Any immediate help we can find would be greatly appreciative. We are gearing up for a 2,000 trek in a few weeks.

Thanks,

Kaly

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2017-07-02 at 5.05.20 PM.png

#2 Tom Haberski

Tom Haberski
  • Casita Club Member
  • 172 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1996 16' LD

Posted 02 July 2017 - 02:31 PM

I'd do a rebuild. The parts are inexpensive, your safety and life are not. I cannot fathom how one would be able to use bolts, but I am curious. The P.O. Must have for some reason removed the wheel studs. Curious? If you are only going 6 miles to your site, Ok. If you are going 600 or 6'ooo, do as complete a rebuild as you can. All this is just my opinion. I did a rebuild on my '96, brakes, bearings and races, the drums were turned and in OK condition.

It comes down to how lucky of a guy you think you are. I'd error on the unlucky side.

#3 Kaly

Kaly
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1993 Spirit Deluxe/16
  • Interests:Exploring the open road, trail running, hiking, cooking, savoring micro brews and raising a rowdy crew of four kids.
  • Trailer Name:Lucky Penny

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:12 PM

Thank, Tom!!!

I'm with you 100%. About the only luck I feel sometimes is our Casita's name -- "Lucky Penny"  :rofl2:

I've tried to imagine all of the reasons someone would use bolts, but none of them make much sense long term. I will say that I about broke my arm trying to take them off yesterday.

We haven't used the brakes yet (since Texas is so flat), but I'll be anxious to see what is worth salvaging.

Here's a picture of the rear side of the drum/hub. I'd say this doesn't scream safe, right?

Attached Thumbnails

• Axle Fix 2.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Drum, Hub, Brakes, Wheels, tires