• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 madjack

madjack
  • Casita Club Member
  • 130 posts
  • Local time: 12:07 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 FD17
  • Interests:camping, shooting sports, camp cooking, building "stuff" and anything that gets me out doors

About me...20+yrs as a commercial OTR driver, logging over 2million accident free miles...previous to that, 20 yrs in the construction trades...owned a few travel trailers and teardrop campers along with more single and double axle utility trailers than I can count and as such have hauled everything from a nail, a 2x4, vehicles, construction equipment of all kinds all the way up to 100,000# steel beams, chemicals and other heavy haul and haz-mat item(s)
  • Trailer Name:Gator Eggs and Boudin(boo-dan)

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:55 PM

Move the lever gently, then take foot off gas, continue to add pressure until sway has stopped, let off the lever...if the sway appears to be severe enough to put you in danger of losing control or flipping, a hard push and release, (repeat gently) as needed may be your only option...this technique is also appropriate for snow/ice/rain situations...the best technique is to be properly loaded (the trailer) to avoid this condition in the first place!!!!!!!!
madjack

p.s. YOU can get properly loaded at destination for nerve calming purposes........mj

Edited by madjack, 08 August 2017 - 09:33 PM.

• Meadowlark likes this
Jack and Marlene driving a.......'99 GMC 1500 Sierra SLE ext cab.......max suspension/cooling package..........5.3l V8auto w/200,000 mi and still hummin' along..........

#17 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,898 posts
  • Local time: 09:07 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:39 PM

Thank you, Madjack. I'd made this comment a few days ago and see it didn't post, so I'm saying it again. I had a hunch you've experienced a fishtailing now and then and would know what to do. I'll remember it  and hopefully I'll never need to use the knowledge.

As for getting loaded afterwards...well, after a change of underwear, I think a shot of Bailey's in my hot cocoa will do me up right :-)

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#18 madjack

madjack
  • Casita Club Member
  • 130 posts
  • Local time: 12:07 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 FD17
  • Interests:camping, shooting sports, camp cooking, building "stuff" and anything that gets me out doors

About me...20+yrs as a commercial OTR driver, logging over 2million accident free miles...previous to that, 20 yrs in the construction trades...owned a few travel trailers and teardrop campers along with more single and double axle utility trailers than I can count and as such have hauled everything from a nail, a 2x4, vehicles, construction equipment of all kinds all the way up to 100,000# steel beams, chemicals and other heavy haul and haz-mat item(s)
  • Trailer Name:Gator Eggs and Boudin(boo-dan)

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:30 PM

...way too many to count...several with dual axle utility trailers with no brakes...had to brake as trailer came back across centerline of tug...and then the night, driving from St Louis to Chicago with an empty 48' hi cube trailer with black ice and a 40mph wind from 90 degrees to the side...took a backhoe to pry me loose from my seat!!!!!
madjack

p.s. get me around a campfire with a touch (or two) of bourbon in my system telling trucker stories...you may never leave home again (-; ......mj
  • Meadowlark likes this
Jack and Marlene driving a.......'99 GMC 1500 Sierra SLE ext cab.......max suspension/cooling package..........5.3l V8auto w/200,000 mi and still hummin' along..........