Photo

Higher Altitude Camping Suggestions In New Mexico?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bobh

bobh
  • Casita Club Member
  • 24 posts
  • Local time: 06:10 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Bigfoot 25'
  • Trailer Name:Previously owned Casita Sp Deluxe 17'

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:06 PM

Trying to escape TX heat and would like to find pretty, shaded spot in NM, hopefully with water and electricity, hopefully not a privately owned campground.  Researched Sante Fe National Forest (campground with hookups) but it is basically reserved  during summer other than for a day here or there.  Would enjoy hearing your suggestions.

#2 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,259 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:26 PM

I can highly recommend Heron Lake state park, about 12 miles south of Chama, NM.  Area lies at 7,000 ft and never gets overly hot, or humid.  This park has two loops with reservable and non reservable spaces, most with shade and W/E. $14/night. There is a dump. There are dozens of non hook-up sites all over this very large park, most with good views along a large lake of the same name. Lake is non-wake, i.e. no noisy jet skies.  Nearby is Vado Lake state park. This park allows jet skies and power boats and attracts the party crowd. Chama is a small town, and the start of the Cumbres Toltec antique steam train run up the mountain into Colorado.  Wifi is non existent in the park, ok on a nearby hill. Otherwise, Chama or near the park in Tierra Amarilla at a local coffeeshop in a restored 1800something home, if it is still there.

Other suggestions, Los Alamos, Santa Fe etc, the whole area is beautiful and thus popular in summer. Some folks recommend Cloudcroft, up the hill east of Alamogordo.  I have not been there so can't comment on that one

Enjoy your summer,

Dutchman

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#3 JerryC

JerryC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 540 posts
  • Local time: 07:10 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 ID
  • Interests:Sightseeing, Hiking, Geocaching, Hot Air Ballooning, Touring this great country in our Casita.

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:42 AM

A couple of  really nice NFS campgrounds near Cloudcroft.  Almost Heaven in August, when the heat and humidity become unbearable.  No hookups, though.  If you're wanting water and electric it would have to be a rv park. Good luck.

Jerry & Wanda
2016 ID
Deep South
Sometimes home, but mostly gone
http://eggrollings.blogspot.com/

#4 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,420 posts
  • Local time: 07:10 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:34 AM

bobh

Desert Hawk on this forum use to have a lot of good travel reports and recommendations. It has been since last year that he has posted on this site. I hope he didn't have some serious health issues again. Here is a post he had in the past on New Mexico sites and camping. It might be useful to you.

http://www.casitaclu...wk/#entry194698

hope this helps

Clover

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#5 bobh

bobh
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:17 PM

Thank you for these suggestions.  I will gladly accept any other ideas.

#6 borderbrae

borderbrae
  • Casita Club Member (c)
  • 1,013 posts
  • Local time: 08:10 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 17' SD
  • Interests:Travel, photography

Posted 03 July 2017 - 02:34 PM

I was just going through some of my stash about Utah and came across a nice magazine called Grand Circle. Mine is dated 2014 so I went to the website, www.grandcircle.org and have ordered the 2017 copy. I checked out a few links on the website and it looks like there is a lot of info there with links to lots more. Definitely worth checking out. 

Jean
2000 SD 17'
2011 Silverado w/Prodigy BC
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much (and take lots of photos along the way)
www.jeanclarkphotography.com
www.borderbrae.wordpress.com

#7 bobh

bobh
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:37 PM

Great suggestion.  That website does have a lot of good information.

#8 OKCasitans

OKCasitans
  • Casita Club Member
  • 46 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 17' Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Camping, acoustic music, sailing, canvas and sailmaking, ham radio KC5SMH

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:20 PM

Ditto on Heron Lake State Park.  Very peaceful there and good shade trees.  Definitely take the Cumbres-Toltec train excursion out of nearby Chama if you go there.  

Mark & Claudia Welch
2002 Spirit Deluxe,
"Sooner Schooner"
03 GMC Sierra
Onboard audio: iPod
KC5SMH/2 meter VHF