• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,392 posts
  • Local time: 01:20 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:38 AM

Excerpted from 18 Jun 17 "The Olympian" online edition:

Attached File  Notices of temporary layoffs go out this week to state employees if there is no budget deal in the next few days.docx   12.57KB   14 downloads

What this means, folks, is that if the state legislature doesn't pass a new budget on 30 June 2017, all state parks will be closed until one is passed.

I do not know if that means one's reservation fee will be returned.

Remember this may also affect your ferry reservations  but again, I don't know.

I don't believe that Forest Service, National Park and other (i.e. BLM/ ACOE/ power company campgrounds etc) will be affected but I really don't know.

Just a heads up, folks.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"No matter how old I am, I'm always going to want a pony for Christmas."

#2 brsedwebt

brsedwebt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 58 posts
  • Local time: 04:20 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:ID 17
  • Interests:camping, travel, ghost towns, light houses, covered bridges, kayaking, boating, antiques, old advertising...
  • Trailer Name:Cozy-Casa

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:49 AM

When will the wise people who are in charge realize that the park system is the only area that MAKES money and should not be messed with? It creates jobs, tourism, taxes, etc... How many BILLIONS of dollars does it really create for the economy in this country? Think about it..... Entry fees are just the tip of the iceburg. There is firewood, supplies, fuel (tax & jobs), local business support (tax and jobs), meals (tax and jobs), groceries (tax and jobs), RV sales (tax and jobs), RV repairs..... The list goes on forever 

Edited by brsedwebt, 22 June 2017 - 03:56 PM.

• Meadowlark likes this

Cozy-Casa    Visualize whirled peas

#3 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 769 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Kayaking, hunting, woodworker, horse drawn carriage historian and restoration, maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:42 AM

This is proof........You can't fix stupid.

• Meadowlark likes this

#4 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,392 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.

Posted 18 June 2017 - 02:38 PM

Ditto, Jerrybob, Ditto.

There are thousands of people depending on the state park system for jobs. In WA state, the funding for state parks was slashed years ago (and the money '''re-allocated"") in favor of a 'Discover" pass. This is a $30 annual fee you must pay if you want to use any of the State parks. At first the state was adamant...you could not transfer your pass to another vehicle! Meaning, if you wanted to drive your car to a park for day use, and then later, tow your camper with your pickup in order to camp, they wanted you to buy TWO passes. That raised a stink amongst everyone...especially when you consider that we already have the option of donating five bucks when we renew our license plate tabs. That was changed, despite much heel dragging by the legislators, to now you may transfer it to one or the other vehicle.

I have never yet seen anyone actually demand to see one's Discover Pass. Last time I saw one, it was merely a receipt like you get at the grocery store, and I suppose you stick it up in the windshield in the Yellow tag hanger. I have the disabled veteran's pass, so I don't have to buy it, but we still donate money for the parks.

In the past few years, we have seen the funding for staff at SP's cut to virtually zero. Two years ago, we stayed at Lewis and Clark Trails State Park in SE WA. The park badly needed maintenance. We talked to the camp hosts: a retired "workamping"couple who were buying toilet paper and cleaning supplies for the bathrooms out of their own pocket because the State wasn't providing it. They hadn't been 'paid' in months, nor had the one 'ranger' assigned to the Park.

#5 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,013 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 18 June 2017 - 02:42 PM

I got an alert (actually a petition) on this yesterday from the Washington State Park Foundation.  We camp at Washington SP's every year, usually when traveling to/from BC.  I hate RV Parks, little cement slots 5' from your neighbor.  It's about a 7 hr drive from where we leave in Oregon to the nearest BC Provincial Park.  That doesn't really work well for us, which is why we enjoy stopping over in Washington.

Lots of people will be inconvenienced by this, if it happens, and lots of business will be lost.

• Meadowlark likes this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#6 Tom Haberski

Tom Haberski
  • Casita Club Member
  • 147 posts
  • Local time: 03:20 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:1996 16' LD

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:34 PM

Same deal here in Wisconsin.  Seems like the leaders follow the advice...."if it ain't broke.....break it".  The state park near me, which I annually pay for an admission sticker, does not mow the hiking trails or staff the park.   Nobody there, and the place going feral.   It's like they walked away from it all.  It's downright creepy.  They did raise the annual admission sticker fee cost.

#7 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:33 PM

SOMEONE has to pay for the lobbyist's yacht, Tom.

• Jerrybob likes this

#8 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,013 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:42 AM

This Washington Trails link shows the 33 "Projected State Park Closures" by the Washington State legislature.  Source: Washington State Parks.

This may be different than the July 1st closures which sound more like a complete shutdown.  I don't know.

The budget info for Larrabee SP:  more than $400K expenditures; more than 690K visitors; yet the income is only about $185K.  It looks like most visitors aren't paying anything, maybe they are day use.  It's hard for me to believe they actually spend that much on upkeep for this park.  On our last visit, the showers were barely warm.  We pay about $37 for hookups, I would pay more to keep it open.  But it's a small campground so it will need more than that to really improve their income.

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#9 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:14 PM

Hmmm. I've always wondered just where the Discovery Pass fees and the license tab fees wind up. Apparently it's not the parks. Why am I not surprised. I'm sure it's politicians doing the $ collection, accounting and allocating.....

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes???

#10 Tom Haberski

Tom Haberski
  • Casita Club Member
  • 147 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1996 16' LD

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:34 PM

It SHOULD be criminal what legislators are doing to our public services, public and national properties, national lands and treasures, local parks and the infrastructure.  The roads suck around here, potholes and rough going nearly everywhere.  And our state leader will NOT increase taxes to pay, but instead borrow money to patch things and pass the problem to the next generation.  I truly have just about given up on humanities ability to address the problems, issues, differences and difficulty, globally and locally.  National, presidential politics aside, we hide our heads in the sand and want things to be the same as today, or yesterday. But I digress.  I just wish, hope and pray they mow the local state parks trails I use to exercise me and my dog.  Good luck with that one.

I apologize to all for this rant, but many noticeable aspects of life have degraded.

• Meadowlark likes this

#11 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 380 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:25 AM

In Texas we pay $70 for an annual State Park Pass. This comes with four coupons for 50% off your second night's campsite fee. The pass waves your day use fee for everyone in the vehicle. It looks like a credit card, so it can be transferred from vehicle to vehicle or kept on your person. Campsite fees with water & electricity range anywhere from $13-$30/ night depending on how close the park is to civilization. I suspect sites with sewer are a bit more expensive.

Our legislature had cut funding for our parks over the past decade or so, but finally funded them two years ago, so it has been nice to see some of the repairs/maintenance improvements around our state. They had gotten pretty run down, so am Uber excited that things for us are on the upswing. The COE Parks (Feds) are really hurting on the other hand.

Toddy
  • Meadowlark likes this