#1 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,104 posts
  • Local time: 12:29 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:13 PM

Well, I just changed out my old tires due to their age. They still looked like new, but I didn't want to continue running them any longer. While I was at it, I tore down the wheels and cleaned and repacked the bearings, inspected the drums/brakes/magnets/springs/keepers - all still looked good. This time around I went with the new Good Year Endurance 225 / 75R ST's. There isn't much "history" out there yet on these due to them being fairly new to the market, but they look to be a whole new departure for ST tires, and nothing even remotely like the old Marathon "China Bombs" which I would never consider using. I think Good Year got tired of the bad press with their Chinese Marathons, and started with a clean slate when they designed these. Made in the USA too. Specs and ratings are better than just about anything else out there in the ST tire market. These are really beefy built, heavy and solid tires, and look to be a lot more substantial than any of the other ST tires I've looked at and read up on. Three of them, mounted, balanced and with new steel air fittings, road hazard replacement insurance, out the door for $500 bucks at Discount Tire.

Goodyear Endurance
Sidewall Style: Black Sidewall
10 Ply Rating
Load Range: E 

Speed Rating 87 mph
Max Inflation 80 psi
Made in USA 

• U.S.M.C. Don likes this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#2 Gary J. Carter

Gary J. Carter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts
  • Local time: 02:29 PM
  • Interests:Camping, Boating, RVing, Backpacking, etc.<br />Music (Guitar, Keyboards, Singing)<br />Amateur Radio, Amatuer Astronomy<br />Woodworking, Metalworking<br />Travel to new places<br />Making new friends
  • Casita Club Directory #:2433

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:23 PM

Greg,

I just went down a similar path. I have used Kumho Radial 857 205 R14C's for the past 11 years with only one failure on a set that was three years and a half years old. (I have never exceeded three years of age since!) Noting my current set of Kumho have reached the three year anniversary, and with a big trip on the horizon, I placed an order with Tire Rack for three new Kumho tires. They arrived today. When I checked the date codes I realized these "new tires" we're already nearly two years old! Knowing tires have a shelf life, I called Tire Rack to inquire and discovered these were a discontinued product, and presently on "close out". That being the case, I elected to return them.

Comparing ST tires with similar specifications I discovered the new Goodyear Endurance product. I ordered three and expect them soon. In my case the exact item from Tire Rack was ST205/75R-14 GOODYEAR ENDURANCE TRAILER USE ONLY D. The price for these tires is significantly less than the Kumho brand ($92 ea. for the new Goodyear vs. $132 ea. for the old Kumho!).

So I guess we will be the proving ground for Goodyear's new line of trailer tires. We'll see how these new "Endurance" tires hold up!

Regards,

Edited by Gary J. Carter, 07 June 2017 - 12:43 PM.

Gary, Cynthia, & Samantha

2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe, a.k.a. "OverEasy"
Kumho 205QR-14 Radial 857
Dual Honda 2000i Generators
2002 GMC Sierra HD Duramax
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
Reese Anti-Sway bar
CasitaClub Directory #2433
Callsign: KL7NE

#3 vermilye

vermilye
  • Casita Club Member
  • 407 posts
  • Local time: 03:29 PM
  • Interests:Photography, travel

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:18 AM

Not much of a test, but I have around 800 miles on a set of Goodyear Endurance ST205/75R/15 D rated.  So far, so good!

#4 Chris C

Chris C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,043 posts
  • Local time: 01:29 PM
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:21 PM

Well, I just changed out my old tires due to their age. They still looked like new, but I didn't want to continue running them any longer. While I was at it, I tore down the wheels and cleaned and repacked the bearings, inspected the drums/brakes/magnets/springs/keepers - all still looked good. This time around I went with the new Good Year Endurance 225 / 75R ST's. There isn't much "history" out there yet on these due to them being fairly new to the market, but they look to be a whole new departure for ST tires, and nothing even remotely like the old Marathon "China Bombs" which I would never consider using. I think Good Year got tired of the bad press with their Chinese Marathons, and started with a clean slate when they designed these. Made in the USA too. Specs and ratings are better than just about anything else out there in the ST tire market. These are really beefy built, heavy and solid tires, and look to be a lot more substantial than any of the other ST tires I've looked at and read up on. Three of them, mounted, balanced and with new steel air fittings, road hazard replacement insurance, out the door for $500 bucks at Discount Tire.

Goodyear Endurance
Sidewall Style: Black Sidewall
10 Ply Rating
Load Range: E 

Speed Rating 87 mph
Max Inflation 80 psi
Made in USA 

Thanks for this post, Greg.  I just started a thread yesterday stating I am faced with replacing tires before my next trip.  I'll definitely check into these tires.  From what I'm reading on-line, it does, indeed, look as if Goodyear finally stepped up to the plate to correct the damage done with those "China Bombs" as you so appropriately called them.  That's why I got rid of mine shortly after buying my trailer. 

Chris
2006 17' Spirit Deluxe pulled with a White 2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS.

Visit My Website

#5 Chris C

Chris C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,043 posts
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:38 PM

Greg, how did you manage to end up with a load range E, speed rating of 87mph and max inflation of 80 psi on those tires?  Are you running 16" tires on your Casita?  I don't find specs like those on the 14" Endurance.

Chris

Visit My Website

#6 U.S.M.C. Don

U.S.M.C. Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 49 posts
  • Local time: 08:29 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:40 PM

Yes, thank you Greg!

I read your post and my tires need replacing [and this Texas heat accelerates their aging]. So I visited my local Discount Tire yesterday to check on these Good Year Endurance 225 / 75R15 ST, Load Range E. They also quoted me $481 for 3 tires, mounted, balanced and with new steel air fittings, including road hazard replacement insurance. 

The "tech" said to run them at 80PSI and that the tires were rated for 80MPH! I assured him that I wouldn't be going that fast.

Thanks again for the great tire tip. 

Edited by U.S.M.C. Don, 30 June 2017 - 01:47 PM.

#7 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:00 PM

Greg, how did you manage to end up with a load range E, speed rating of 87mph and max inflation of 80 psi on those tires?  Are you running 16" tires on your Casita?  I don't find specs like those on the 14" Endurance.

I'm running the GY Endurances in ST225/75R in 15" size, and I just went out and double checked them, and yes they are marked Load Range E, molded right into the side walls with all the other particulars.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#8 Chris C

Chris C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:38 PM

Thanks for checking, Greg.  You are, of course, correct.  I misread the specifications.   The 14" Endurance is only a load D.  I'm curious, would I be better off with the 205 or the 215?  Don't know much about tires.

Edited by Chris C, 30 June 2017 - 12:40 PM.

Chris

Visit My Website

#9 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:00 AM

If you have the high-lift axle, or if you can add "bolt-on" spacers above the axle, (aka axle lift kit,)  I'd definitely recommend moving up to 15" tires/wheels. They're specs are much better than for any of the 14" ones out there.

http://perfectcasita...e-lift-kit.html

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#10 Chris C

Chris C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:18 PM

Already have the high-lift axle.  Tight on money right now, so buying new wheels PLUS new tires would be difficult.  Other than the additional load rating, what would be the  benefit of 15" wheels, Greg?

Chris

Visit My Website

#11 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:57 AM

Generally they are a stiffer more robust build with higher load ratings and speed ratings than the 14" ones of the same manufacturer. Higher load and speed ratings are, for me anyway, a benchmark of a stronger, more reliable tire.

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#12 Chris C

Chris C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 02:12 PM

Well, Greg, as I said, money is tight right now...........especially getting ready for a trip.  But........................................when I bought the Kumho tires money was tight and they were expensive and I've gotten more mileage out of them than any tire I've ever owned, auto or trailer.  I understand Kunho has dropped off in popularity recently and tires being delivered now have older manufactured date markings.  I don't like the idea of a tire that's already aged in the warehouse.  Unless a tire is in total darkness, it's aging.  Higher load ratings and speed ranges are a plus for me.  I always start out the trip swearing I'm going to drive 55/60 mph, but by the time I'm headed home, I'm at whatever the speed limit is.  Psychological, I know, but at least I "feel" as if I'm getting there quicker.  :rofl2:

I think, as much as it hurts right now, I'll bite the bullet and buy new wheels and the 15" Endurance tires.  I know it'll make a minute improvement in gas mileage and the larger circumference will increase the life of the tire slightly.  I guess the 8-spoke white painted wheel from E-Trailer is as good as any. 

Chris

Visit My Website

#13 Chris C

Chris C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:20 PM

Okay, reporting back!

Decided to bite the bullet and go with 15" wheels and tires.  Bought the two wheels from ETrailer for total of $76.27......they'll be here Friday!  I called E-Trailer and asked when they'd be here so I could make an appointment for mounting and they upgraded my shipment from 5 to 7 days to 3 to 5 Express.............at no extra charge.  Good people!!!!!

Called Hibdon Tire, Goodyear Tire and Discount tire.  Discount Tire was under Goodyear by over $68 and under Hibdon by $96...............and that included mounting, balancing and steel stems.  So for $348.27 I've got the 15" upgrade with what I'm hoping is a good trailer tire that will last some years with care.

Chris

Visit My Website