Iconoclast

• Rally Organizer
  • 686 posts
  • Local time: 04:51 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17SD
  • Interests:Classic Fiberglass Boats, Hot Babes, Fine Cigars, & Good Whiskey
  • Trailer Name:No Tell Motel & Cigar Lounge

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:45 PM

If the tire companies had to depend on me buying trailer tires, they'd go broke!! I think the "youngest" set of tires on any of my trailers is pushing five or six years old, with most of them pushing ten years old.. Then again, NONE of my trailers are rolling "trailer" tires either, I've always run bias-ply light truck tires on every trailer I've ever owned and have NEVER had a blow out or tread separation on a trailer tire in over 30 years of pulling trailers..

Edited by CC-John, 30 May 2017 - 06:47 PM.

CC-John

"I void warranties"

FGRV #1 1973 Century Resorter 16 - Powered by Chrysler LM318 225HP V-8

BOAT PICS

FGRV #2 1978 Chris*Craft 251 Catalina Express - Powered by PCM 383 Chevy V-8 340HP

BOAT PICS

FGRV #3 2007 Casita 17SD - Powered by Onan CampPower 2500LP

CASITA PICS

#17 NW9836

NW9836
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts
  • Local time: 03:51 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 SD/17

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:52 AM

The Dexter (mfg of our suspension components, brakes, bearings and built in shock absorbers ) manual recommends jacking the trailer up when not in use. This should add a lot of life to the tires. I hope so, because it is extra work of course. I think the rationale is more to extend the life of the rubber band elements of the shock absorber elements of the Dexter axle than preserving the tires.

#18 Gary J. Carter

Gary J. Carter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts
  • Local time: 05:51 AM
  • Interests:Camping, Boating, RVing, Backpacking, etc.<br />Music (Guitar, Keyboards, Singing)<br />Amateur Radio, Amatuer Astronomy<br />Woodworking, Metalworking<br />Travel to new places<br />Making new friends
  • Casita Club Directory #:2433

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:24 PM

From the Discount Tire FAQ page on ST tires:

- Trailer tires are limited by time and use, instead of being designed for use until the tread is completely worn off.
- After three years in service, approximately one third of the tires strength is gone.
- The mileage expectancy can vary from 5,000 miles to 12,000 miles.
- It is best to replace your trailer tires every 3-4 years, whether they look worn out or not.
- Prior to each use, inspect the tires for any cuts, snags, punctures, or bulges, as well as ensuring each tire is properly inflated.
- When trailer tires are not in use or are in storage:
........Store in a cool, dark garage at maximum tire inflation with material between the tire and pavement like a thin piece of plywood.
........Tire covers can help protect the tires if stored in direct sunlight.
........If storage is long term, it is best to put the trailer on blocks, to take the weight off of the tires, and lower the tire pressure.

Edited by Gary J. Carter, 07 June 2017 - 01:26 PM.

• NASA42 B likes this

Gary, Cynthia, & Samantha

2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe, a.k.a. "OverEasy"
Kumho 205QR-14 Radial 857
Dual Honda 2000i Generators
2002 GMC Sierra HD Duramax
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
Reese Anti-Sway bar
CasitaClub Directory #2433
Callsign: KL7NE

#19 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,434 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:10 PM

If the tire companies had to depend on me buying trailer tires, they'd go broke!! I think the "youngest" set of tires on any of my trailers is pushing five or six years old, with most of them pushing ten years old.. Then again, NONE of my trailers are rolling "trailer" tires either, I've always run bias-ply light truck tires on every trailer I've ever owned and have NEVER had a blow out or tread separation on a trailer tire in over 30 years of pulling trailers..

The bias-ply LT tires on our rig are 10 years old.

The ones on the flat bed trailer used for hay are 16 years old. It doesn't get used as often but always hauls a full load of hay.

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#20 CC-John

CC-John

Iconoclast

• Rally Organizer
  • 686 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17SD
  • Interests:Classic Fiberglass Boats, Hot Babes, Fine Cigars, & Good Whiskey
  • Trailer Name:No Tell Motel & Cigar Lounge

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:44 PM

The bias-ply LT tires on our rig are 10 years old.

The ones on the flat bed trailer used for hay are 16 years old. It doesn't get used as often but always hauls a full load of hay.

And those tires spent the first seven or eight years of their life on my Casita before I gave them to you when I replaced my axle, not too bad considering those were cheap Chinese Bluestars that I got from Discount Tire for $57.00 a tire.. I hope to wring at least 10 years out of the Kenda K391M, 7.00-15LT's that replaced them on my 17SD..

Bias ply truck tires are hard to beat for trailer use when it comes to longevity, durability, and cost.. These are the type of tires installed as original equipment on millions of travel trailers before there ever were "ST" trailer tires..

Edited by CC-John, 07 June 2017 - 06:45 PM.

• clover likes this

CC-John

"I void warranties"

FGRV #1 1973 Century Resorter 16 - Powered by Chrysler LM318 225HP V-8

BOAT PICS

FGRV #2 1978 Chris*Craft 251 Catalina Express - Powered by PCM 383 Chevy V-8 340HP

BOAT PICS

FGRV #3 2007 Casita 17SD - Powered by Onan CampPower 2500LP

CASITA PICS