• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,928 posts
  • Local time: 02:32 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:31 PM

We put Maxxis 8008 tires on our 2011 in 2013. Since then I estimate we have put about 25K on them, maybe more.  While they're in good shape, still...you can see they are wearing, as is to be expected. (evenly, even!!)

The question is: we have several trips planned for this coming season and are wondering should we replace them now? or wait until fall when we put Grus Egg to bed for the winter? While I think we could get another summer's worth out of them, tires are a big deal for me..I'd rather err on the side of caution  than pinch pennies.

Does anyone out there have a rule of thumb they go by when it comes to deciding when to bite that very big bullet and replace them?

Edited by Meadowlark, 29 May 2017 - 01:32 PM.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#2 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,431 posts
  • Local time: 04:32 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:19 PM

mercy, this is a difficult question to answer. i was super vigilant and checked tire pressure/wear regularly on my UNBALANCED casita factory 2013 goodyear marathons load C. ended up replacing them in february 2017, with discount tire carlisle load D, got nearly 60,000 miles from them. i have a 2013 casita patriot deluxe, but travel with full fresh water tank and am full timing. tires were showing wear and got 4 years, from 2013 to 2017 from the originals. if the new load D  BALANCED carlisle tires give me the same service as the originals, i will be thrilled. i think 3-4 yrs of heavy use is a good time frame to consider replacement. others here may have different opinions/results. bottom line, if you're worried about them, replace them. safe and happy travels....................

Edited by clairemr1, 29 May 2017 - 03:19 PM.

• Meadowlark and NASA42 B like this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#3 Southern Comfort

Southern Comfort
  • Casita Club Member
  • 350 posts
  • Local time: 06:32 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 Spirit
  • Interests:cooking,golf,fishing,hiking,

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:38 PM

I just replaced 6 yr old kumho's because of age. Tires looked new. I think 5 yrs is kinda rule of thumb in the R.V. world. 

• Meadowlark likes this

#4 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,248 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:46 PM

Well, here's how we decided and why.

A few years ago we had our only blow-out as we were returning home from Canada (we were about 20 miles from home).   The next morning we saw that the second tire was just about ready to pop.  It had a huge bulge on the inner sidewall.  The kid at the gas station was afraid to go near it.  Those tires were 5 years old at the time but the tread looked good.  BTW, the trailer handled beautifully, it was the odd thumping noise that make us take the next off ramp (luckily very near). 

So now we buy new tires every 4-5 years.  When we plan a long trip and the tires are 4 years old, we replace them before the trip.  If we will be camping close to home, we might let them go 5 years.  But the older WE get, the more likely we will be to change them out every 4 years.  Who want's the hassle of a flat when you can avoid it.

For trailer tires, the age of the tire is more important than the mileage and tread, it's the sidewalls that go on a trailer tire.  We make it a point to check the sidewalls for bulges but if it's on the inner sidewall, it's not going to be easy to see.

I do believe there is more to consider than tire age.  For instance, driving habits like constant high speed, too much weight on the axle, and too little air pressure in the tires can shorten the life of a trailer tire.  Just my opinion.

• Beetlefreak and Meadowlark like this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#5 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,269 posts
  • Local time: 03:32 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:05 PM

Some tire shops have small, marked, cards that you can place between the tire ridges and it will tell you how much wear is left.  Or, a simple way is to take a quarter and place it upside down, i.e. George Washington's face upside down in a groove. If you can see the top of his head it's time to replace.  Also, I agree with previous posts, five years is about par for tire use, regardless of mileage or wear.  Better be safe than sorry.

Dutchman

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#6 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,928 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:13 PM

No need to say "just my opinion', Carol, it's why I asked!! I am of the same mind as you and Claire: I'm getting too old to grovel on my aching knees in the gravel, trying to change a flat. Nor do I think my heart can take what must be a stressful few minutes of driving with a flat on a trailer.  These are four year old tires.  They're balanced, of course, we've always kept them at Maxxis's recommended tire pressure of 80 lbs, and we try to balance the interior load but you know how that goes. I will go out and take a look at the sidewalls, it wasn't something I'd considered.

I have to say I have been VERY happy with the Maxxis 8008s and will replace them with the same brand.

The thing that bothers me the most, honestly, is the spare tire has never touched the road, still has the colored stripes on the tread, but has never been covered. part of me says, keep it as a spare (so does my wallet). But it's experienced the same heat/cold etc that the road tires have. I would much rather pay for two brand new ones than three, but...is this being penny wise and pound foolish?

Thanks for the perspectives, all.

• clairemr1 likes this

#7 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:14 PM

Hi, Dutchman. We were always too cheap to use a quarter. I was taught to use a penny...if you could see the top of Lincolns head (putting him in head first, of course) it was time to change tires.

• Dutchman likes this

#8 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,431 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:01 AM

meadowlark, i only used my original marathon spare the last 10 months, replaced the curb side tire with it as it was showing more wear than the driver side tire. ended up replacing all 3 with the discount carlisle tires, because of the age of the tire, rather than it's use. even though it's always been covered with a spare tire cover, i didn't want to depend on an aged spare if it were needed and the cost of one more tire for me is a nonissue.

i also intend to rotate the trailer tires on a regular basis this time around and include the spare in the rotation, and keep them all balanced. i didn't treat the original tires very well, except for checking tire pressure and wear regularly.

• Meadowlark likes this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#9 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 580 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:57 AM

When I replaced my tires a month ago, the shop owner said that trailer tires are very different than automobile tires so you should replace them every four years regardless of tread wear. With as much road construction that takes place during the height of camping season and has lanes consolidated between concrete barriers, I would hate for a tire to blow and toss my trailer into a concrete wall at 50mph. I suspect the Kerouac wouldn't do so well abrading against concrete. Yikes!

As for the spare tire, I have the same situation as it has never touched the earth. I plan to use it only as a temporary solution to get my trailer into the nearest town to get the original tire repaired/replaced.

Toddy

• Beetlefreak and Meadowlark like this

#10 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:59 AM

Toddy, YOU should be Kerouac, not your camper....your description of a blowout gives me the willies!!

• Hot Toddy likes this

#11 NASA42 B

NASA42 B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 508 posts
  • Local time: 05:32 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty 17 Deluxe
  • Interests:Family, Reading, RVing, History, some community service, and my rescue cat named "Alley" at home...
  • Trailer Name:NASA42 - B

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:26 PM

Meadowlark......

Altho I belong to the "replace every 4 years" club, I have been applying that rationale only to the axle-mounted ones.  As the spare has been unused and shielded from most UV by the cover I keep on it, I will continue to keep it for "short-term" emergency use only....for up to a total of about 6 or 7 years.  It's been working for me....

Disclosure:  While I tend to speak with confidence, I have no illusions about the infallibility of my opinions.

Frank  :rolleyes:

Edited by nasa42a, 30 May 2017 - 01:27 PM.

• Meadowlark and MGD like this

#12 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,248 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:24 PM

Toddy, YOU should be Kerouac, not your camper....your description of a blowout gives me the willies!!

Having only had the 1 trailer tire blow-out, I have no idea if our experience was one-of-a-kind or at all similar to others.  But we were on the freeway traveling about 50 mph through Reno when, at first, there was a slight thumping sound - we couldn't tell if it was from us or another car.  But, after at least a mile (maybe two) the noise was louder and obviously coming from the trailer.  By then we had slowed down some.  So we took the off ramp and pulled off into the dirt at the bottom.  There was a piece of the tire sidewall that had kinda peeled back and had been hitting the wheel well.  The tire actually still had some air but soon went flat.  Through all this there was no driving problem and the trailer tracked as usual.

I would love to know if we were just very lucky or if this sometimes happens when the sidewall goes.  Although, I certainly wouldn't count on having the same experience next time.  It's still a hassle changing a tire, or maybe having to leave the trailer parked somewhere.

• Meadowlark likes this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#13 J and J

J and J
  • Casita Club Member
  • 69 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe/17ft

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:32 PM

As other have said or implied, trailer tires time out due to age.  5 years is a standard.  Trailer tires do not for the most part wear out.  I just removed brand new looking tires due to age and replaced them with new in preparation for summer traveling.  This took 2 tries because the first set of tires I ordered came to me already 18 months old.  Unacceptable!  I unwillingly settled for 4 month old tires.  4 1/2 years from now I will replace these 5 year old brand new looking tires again.

Tire Date Of Manufacture.png

• Carol Christensen likes this

#14 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:38 PM

Carol, I've heard that one makes one's own luck. I believe that when you see pictures of truly catastrophic accidents of that sort (i.e., the video of the Australian 'caravan' passing a semi and losing control),  inevitably factors such as excessive speed, inattention, drunkeness, poor judgement or outright stupidity all seem to play parts in the accident. You did everything right: slow speed, slowing down when you realized something was wrong, getting off the highway..all these are reasons your flat wasn't worse.

I'm grateful you weren't hurt. I've learned a lot from you.

• Carol Christensen and NASA42 B like this

#15 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:40 PM

Wow, J and J, I had no idea there was a date on tires. Now I"m going out to look at mine yet again!! And I will remember that information. I ordered new Maxxis today and they should be here next week. Hopefully they'll be minty fresh and new. ^_^

• MGD likes this